New firmware 3.16 out

Stogey, Spot on with your suggestions. Pity I didn't read this first it would have saved me a lot of trouble. Thanks :D

After the update you must install the Phantom Defaults file that is located on the same update page. It is installed by means of the Tools tab, Import Parameters. Then reset for the Radio Controller you have. The ICU takes a bit to load up for some reason, If you give it a few minutes the button will go from grayed out and non-functional to Black and working. On the Advance Calibration, There will be a heat warning for the ICU and a pop up telling you to power down for 5 minutes. I didn't get anywhere with following that instruction. Instead if you click the yes every 3-5 minutes the Advance Calibration will cycle through. Once completed you must take the Phantom outside and do a Compass calibration or what is known as the standard preflight 10 clicks of the GPS/Atti switch and spin the Phantom on the two axis's. This, I had to preform twice without powering down the phantom. Before, I could clear the error 27 warning. After finishing the preflight compass calibration, I then reconnected the phantom to the computer to insure all was cleared and green.
At, start up with the new update there are a series of yellow flashing lights, these are telling you phantom motors must warn up, before you can take off. Once you get the flashing green your go for launch.

I now have 4 flights in and no problems. Failing to install the default file, resetting for your Radio Controller and not always performing the preflight compass calibration are direct causes to phantom failing in flight and problems with this update.

stogey said:
My experience with the firmware upgrade.

Regarding Error 27; Unable to enter compass calibration; no IOC; after firmware upgrade.

You absolutely must restore everything back to phantom defaults (download the phantom default from the web). Before you do the upgrade, I would recommend reviewing your current settings, make notes if you suffer from short-timers memory...

Critical things to look at:
Under RC tab... be sure you have PPM for the stock transmitter
Make sure you have motor configuration set to X-Quad
Validate your gyro gains are within specs.
http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/inde ... t_Software

After all that is updated, power up... get GPS, do the compass dance. Then plug back in and you should have IOC controls again.
Seems that the firmware nukes all the saved settings, going to some non-phantom friendly defaults. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two to get back in specs.

Good luck.
thank you. I will try it tonight and let u know[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

stogey said:
My experience with the firmware upgrade.

Regarding Error 27; Unable to enter compass calibration; no IOC; after firmware upgrade.

You absolutely must restore everything back to phantom defaults (download the phantom default from the web). Before you do the upgrade, I would recommend reviewing your current settings, make notes if you suffer from short-timers memory...

Critical things to look at:
Under RC tab... be sure you have PPM for the stock transmitter
Make sure you have motor configuration set to X-Quad
Validate your gyro gains are within specs.
http://wiki.dji-innovations.com/en/inde ... t_Software

After all that is updated, power up... get GPS, do the compass dance. Then plug back in and you should have IOC controls again.
Seems that the firmware nukes all the saved settings, going to some non-phantom friendly defaults. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two to get back in specs.

Good luck.
thank you. I will try it tonight and let u know

jfalsken said:
After the update you must install the Phantom Defaults file that is located on the same update page. It is installed by means of the Tools tab, Import Parameters. Then reset for the Radio Controller you have. The ICU takes a bit to load up for some reason, If you give it a few minutes the button will go from grayed out and non-functional to Black and working. On the Advance Calibration, There will be a heat warning for the ICU and a pop up telling you to power down for 5 minutes. I didn't get anywhere with following that instruction. Instead if you click the yes every 3-5 minutes the Advance Calibration will cycle through. Once completed you must take the Phantom outside and do a Compass calibration or what is known as the standard preflight 10 clicks of the GPS/Atti switch and spin the Phantom on the two axis's. This, I had to preform twice without powering down the phantom. Before, I could clear the error 27 warning. After finishing the preflight compass calibration, I then reconnected the phantom to the computer to insure all was cleared and green.
At, start up with the new update there are a series of yellow flashing lights, these are telling you phantom motors must warn up, before you can take off. Once you get the flashing green your go for launch.

I now have 4 flights in and no problems. Failing to install the default file, resetting for your Radio Controller and not always performing the preflight compass calibration are direct causes to phantom failing in flight and problems with this update.

Sorry, did all this and my Phantom still flew away. Everytime you update firmware you risk trouble, as it is possible to get a corrupt firmware update. To write someone new over old, is always the risk of old bits being left over, and this, over time can cause, and will cause trouble, your always at risk.

With windows, etc. Your always better doing a clean install, rather then one over top of the old version. The idea is, is if the firmware is running fine, NEVER UPDATE IT, there is no need for it, unless you need special features, where, I think the later firmware supports gimbals.

The more you upgrade the firmware, the more chance of introducing corruption, which may not be noticed, until your Phantom has a fly away, the saying is, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, so if your firmware is fine, don't update it.

denodan said:
jfalsken said:
The more you upgrade the firmware, the more chance of introducing corruption, which may not be noticed, until your Phantom has a fly away, the saying is, if it's not broken, then don't fix it, so if your firmware is fine, don't update it.

I'm pretty sure that is not the way flashing a device with a firmware update works. When flashing the firmware of any device you are replacing the entire firmware image. Now if the firmware file is corrupted on download that could cause and issue. Aside from that you should be able to flash firmware as frequently as you want and not corrupt anything. This goes for pretty much anything that allows you to flash firmware. Now your settings and flight parameters are stored differently and resetting to defaults after a firmware update is very much recommended as user settings could easily be corrupted or incompatible between firmware updates.

cd419 said:
denodan said:
jfalsken said:

I'm pretty sure that is not the way flashing a device with a firmware update works. When flashing the firmware of any device you are replacing the entire firmware image. Now if the firmware file is corrupted on download that could cause and issue. Aside from that you should be able to flash firmware as frequently as you want and not corrupt anything. This goes for pretty much anything that allows you to flash firmware. Now your settings and flight parameters are stored differently and resetting to defaults after a firmware update is very much recommended as user settings could easily be corrupted or incompatible between firmware updates.

Still if it Ain't broken, don't fix it.

You guys are better off sticking to the Firmware you have when you get your Phantom. The more often you upgrade your firmware the more likely you are going to get a flyaway. If your firmware works well why upgrade? If it ain't broken, don't fix it is my motto for now on. Never again upgrade firmware. Some are buggy, and you keep upgrading, one day you can kiss your Phantom Bye, Bye.

You guys are nuts upgrading to every new firmware.

I uploaded 3.16 after 4 attempts...Haven't had a chance to fully test it...other than a quick up-hover-down. Need to wait for the wind to ease off before I can get some FlyTime in. I will be back if there are any problems.

OK had a chance to try a fly round yesterday. Very light breeze and sun still out..?
Forgot to mention, fitted new prop guards to try and stop trimming the bushes.
Noticeable results - start-up time no visible change. Hover-NOT stable.
The flight time seems to be reduced, haven't timed it but will next time out.
Anybody else seen anything similar...?

T

MrBojangles said:
OK had a chance to try a fly round yesterday. Very light breeze and sun still out..?
Forgot to mention, fitted new prop guards to try and stop trimming the bushes.
Noticeable results - start-up time no visible change. Hover-NOT stable.
The flight time seems to be reduced, haven't timed it but will next time out.
Anybody else seen anything similar...?

T

Get rid of it before you have a flyaway.

Hi guys,
Read somewhere, maybe on this forum, these updates are for naza m v2. Mine has naza m v1 in it which I think most of them at this tiime do. I upgraded once, back whenever, learned my lesson and vever upgraded again. DJI has got to start explaining things as to why, and what for. Vers.3.16 came out very quickly after vers 3,14. I don't think those jerks at dji know what they're doing ! Just my opinion.

I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" moto. I upgraded back when fail safe switch function was added to the transmitter. My Phantom has been rock solid ever since and I have no plans for a gimbal.

Charge, fly, repeat. No tinkering necessary.

I didn't even go that far into upgrades, don't want failsafe on a switch where my fumble fingers might accidently hit it. Mine came w/ vers. 3.00, loved it, when either vers 3,10 came out, upgraded, they changed the throttle, hated it never upgraded again.

Well, I updated mine and had a flyaway today.
I used the phantom reset file, set everything up, did the compass dance and re-did advanced calibration before flight.

Everything was fine and I was hovering just fine in GPS-Atti mode. Then it started moving to the right. I tried to compensate but it just shot off to the right before smashing in to the ground.

2 wrecked carbon props and a cracked case. Great.

Any way to go back to the previous firmware? 3.14 I think I was on.

I just solved my problems with the new upgrades/updates/upchuck. I killed everything, went back to my download folder and reinstalled an earlier version of EVERYTHING. Back to square one and everything is working fine now, including my blood pressure.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl