New firmware 1.7.8 (01.07.0082) P3S

I installed the 1.07.0084 update this morning and now my controller won't talk to the aircraft. The wifi on the aircraft comes and goes and while I can connect to wifi I can see an image from the camera, none of the flight controls work at all now. Sigh. Maybe I'll try 0082...
Did you try the Go app method, like post #152 talks about.

As an update: I used the firmware update method of putting the .bin file on the SD card and restarting the aircraft. This seemed to work and I got the text file saying it was a success. However, DJI tech support just told me that the P3 Standard must update firmware via the Go app, not by the SD card. When I did it this way, I had success. Although I am flying again, I still have my distance issue until fix is released. Hope that helps someone else out there!
Here is a silly question... how dis you do it go app way ??
Did you try the Go app method, like post #152 talks about.

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app

i know, i can just one fw version downgrade, but i need two steps... Anyone tried to renam example 1.5 to 1.4? it can be work?

There's two different things here in these post. One is talking about updating the FW in your drone. With the P3S it always was to be done via the Go app, not the way everyone is doing it here. They're updating their drones though the method the Pro/Adv model does it.They are doing it this way because it's only in beta, and has NOT be officially released. When it's official, you'll get a message via the app that a update is pending, then it's all done by wifi.

Last edited:

The other issue when I said to look at post #152 was about linking the RC to the drone. Some people were saying they were having an issue with it linking up. There is two ways to do that, one via the controller itself using the S2 switch and there's a spot in the Go app that does the same thing, link the RC to the drone.

Haha. Yea so far seems to be working. I figured I'd give it a shot to see what happens.

I definitely lost my video before my control, and I ended up doing RTH until I could see the bird about 0.75 - 1.0 miles away and then fly in by line of sight not getting video back until I come about 10 feet away. Maybe it's something I did wrong. It happened one other time where I was flying around a lighthouse with a ton of wifi interference, not to mention I was on the far side of a lighthouse about 2200 feet away. It happened once, and the other five flights I took around the lighthouse were fine.
Here's one of the lighthouse videos in case your interested:

But typically the video signal is pretty solid if I maintain a clear path from tx to rx.

My video loss happened at 12000-13000 feet out though so I probably should not complain too much. But I do wonder; could it be better if I boost both 2.4's?

Then I think, maybe the P3S has two 2.4 because stock, it only has those two fairly weak internal patch antennas, and not a boosted DBS.
Cool video! Yeah l'm just wondering if it's gonna be worth the extra $80 for a 3-way an second 2.4. It's definitely gonna be better but l really don't think l wanna go further than 2 miles right now. Plus you start going any further u gotta start worrying about a battery mod. l don't know

Just tried this myself and it does not work.

My P3S came (second hand) with 1.6.8 which I downgraded to 1.5.7 to address the short range issue. I then manually applied the 27 dBm mod and all worked fine.

I thought I'd try 1.7.8 so disabled the mod and upgraded the P3S via the SD card. That all went well, but I had problems reconnecting with the RC (which may have been down to interference as I was inside my house), so I thought I'd downgrade to 1.6.8 and then to 1.5.7. The first downgrade to 1.6.8 worked, but then I couldn't get it to go to 1.5.7 ("downgrade not supported"). Not wanting to suffer the same range issues, I upgraded again to 1.7.8.

For some reason, the P3S and RC need to be re-linked, but I can't get it to work. I hope this is just too much RF interference in my house so will try again outside somewhere when the weather gets better.

Why are things never as simple as they should be?!
Cause we bought standards! LOL

Reactions: mike.alexander
Downloaded/installed the update today with no issues, however testing didn't go so well. I seem to live in a really congested area of wifi/radio signals however. With DBS mod, before I could get about 500m in the field behind my backyard. With new 0084 update, I got the same distance, 500ish metes give or take. Will try testing again tomorrow at a different location in which I had previously gotten 1000m with DBS mod until I lost signal, however this area too is in open space with high interference so actual results may vary for anyone else on their area of flying. I flew through the DJI GO app and everything flew fine, slightly hesitant to try litchi. First impressions arent great though

Cool video! Yeah l'm just wondering if it's gonna be worth the extra $80 for a 3-way an second 2.4. It's definitely gonna be better but l really don't think l wanna go further than 2 miles right now. Plus you start going any further u gotta start worrying about a battery mod. l don't know

Yep I'm not at the need yet to do battery mod. It sounds like a nice problem though. Lol
I'm sure I'll get there. I like the sound of 25-40 min runs, so I'll likely end up heading that way regardless. I'd just want to make sure I can do it in a well designed way so it looks streamline, functions well does not weight too much and cause too much drag. I'm happy with 2-3 miles of range, I'd just prefer that it's a rock solid 2-3 miles.
Mum probably going to boost the other 2.4, but I think I'm going to do some playing with antennas. Maybe an alternative to the DBS, maybe birdside antenna, maybe both. Not sure yet.

Has anyone seen the DJI FW we have all been looking for show up or heard of when it will be released?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I didn't see it but it may have. I just thought I recognized the area and the light. Great video btw. I was flying down in Colington a couple of weeks ago but was having range issues so I was limited. I did get some arial vids of the Colington shore line.

I didn't see it but it may have. I just thought I recognized the area and the light. Great video btw. I was flying down in Colington a couple of weeks ago but was having range issues so I was limited. I did get some arial vids of the Colington shore line.

Cool! It's so nice there. The wind was challenging. Not that it impacted my flight much beyond reducing my total flight time. But it did worry me some days and I chose to not fly.

You'll see in the video I just posted that it's just beautiful there. The OBX are amazing place to fly.

How does one downgrade? It didn't work for me, and I'm flying over a lake tomorrow and don't necessarily want to be flying with beta software. I saved the 1.6.8 files and recopied those to the sd card while deeting the beta version off of it. In the go app I also have no other software versions?

Looks like the DJI reps on the DJI site are not to happy with this thread, see post #2
New Firmware for Phantom 3 Standard July 2016

I posted that thread over there to see if I could dig up any official info. Hopefully no one beta testing got into trouble, but I can understand to a degree, the point of view of the DJI guys regarding NDA.

I'd hazard a guess that they aren't stalling on the release just for the heck of it. After the issues with the last FW update we can probably expect them to not want to repeat another botched release.

Don't know if this suggestion will help or not, but I also had trouble linking a r/c and bird just using the r/c toggle method. Failed to link 2 or 3 attempts. Then I tried linking using the GoApp and it linked up almost instantly. No issues since. Hope this may help Mike.

Thanks. I didn't even know you could link the P3S and RC via the DJI Go app. In any case, I tried again today using the switch toggle method and it works first time. Will try my first flight with the new firmware later today.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart