Nervous pilot..

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have had my Phantom 3 Advanced a little while now but still a bit nervous of sending it long distances away from me and I know I should not be any advice would be appreciated... Also am I right in thinking if I lose signal to my Phantom if I press Return to Home it will do that..Again any help is good I love using my Drone but I need to be more comfortable with it.

Many Thanks

Peter

Still waiting on all my ex's to rth. I keep pushing the button. One guy called said he found her "one" turns out he just wanted child support. LoL.. get insurance and drive it like you stole it... but please be safe. Insurance can't replace someone life.

Sent from my Satellite Phone using PhantomPilots

I'm still nervous too mate. It will come with flight time or so I'm told.
I've used RTH once and its fine. WE both need to have more faith in our drones.

Hi Everyone,

I have had my Phantom 3 Advanced a little while now but still a bit nervous of sending it long distances away from me and I know I should not be any advice would be appreciated... Also am I right in thinking if I lose signal to my Phantom if I press Return to Home it will do that..Again any help is good I love using my Drone but I need to be more comfortable with it.

Many Thanks

Peter
You need to learn more. You are asking the right questions and going slow. Keep reading the post on this forum. That is what I a doing. Watch msinger's comments. If it loses signal for , I think 3 seconds, it will return home. If you push RTH with no signal, it does nothing.

Reactions: Ovlovt4
I'm still nervous too mate. It will come with flight time or so I'm told.
I've used RTH once and its fine. WE both need to have more faith in our drones.

Yeah I know I hear people and see videos of people sending them out to sea and watching cargo ships and I get nervous just watching, I guess just try it and see. Good luck with your flying.

Peter

The FAA used to require at least 40 hours flying or stick time for a private pilot's license, and many took much more too. They must have thought that was a decent amount of time to become proficient to fly.

Could be the same for the drone pilots too since some go 'full-on macho mode' and then promptly fly it into a Xmas tree with zero hours, or 'park it' on the neighbor's roof for the night (ahem!) once turned loose in the wild.

If you lose signal RTH will self engage. Do not hit RTH because if you have regained signal and did not notice you have just cancelled it. Been there done that and scarry few minutes wondering WTF. If you RTH with your RC you have to have connection (green light) make sure the button goes red and you hear the beeps. So far all my auto RTH worked as designed but you will have a major pucker moment until you regain connection or see it on it's way home. Once connection is regained fly the bird home yourself.

If you lose signal RTH will self engage. Do not hit RTH because if you have regained signal and did not notice you have just cancelled it. Been there done that and scarry few minutes wondering WTF. If you RTH with your RC you have to have connection (green light) make sure the button goes red and you hear the beeps. So far all my auto RTH worked as designed but you will have a major pucker moment until you regain connection or see it on it's way home. Once connection is regained fly the bird home yourself.

Thanks for the advice I have already had a few pucker moments in the past..

Peter

I have been wrestling with this as well.

I'm lucky enough to have a friend with a couple thousand acres so from time to time I can pop out to his property and I have literally miles of private land to practice/experiment and even then I start to get nervous after 500m or so.

I would say get out into the flat wilderness as much as possible (desert if possible) and take a day to get comfortable with flying distance.

The nervousness will diminish in time as you develop confidence in your bird. These butterfly feelings you get never all go away and that's part of the fun.:)

Stand on the coast and push forward at 400 ft until you lose signal and it comes back. I was nervous until I had done it. It got 4500 metres out to sea. Just beware of a head wind eating into your battery power. Calm days are best.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Stand on the coast and push forward at 400 ft until you lose signal and it comes back. I was nervous until I had done it. It got 4500 metres out to sea. Just beware of a head wind eating into your battery power. Calm days are best.

guess it really doesn't matter if it goes in the water or down to the ground at that point, eh?

In either case, you're probably not recovering it and even if you do it's most likely not even worth the time...

Okay grumpy. That's why I used the coast. No interference and no tall buildings to block signals

I'm grumpy?

I didn't mean to come off as such...

I totally agree that's a good place to test distance, I'm just afraid of losing it. I was just making that point that if you do lose it at that height and distance it doesn't really make a difference as to where - the bird is done.

Best to do it where people are less likely to be harmed

Apologies for calling you Grumpy

I was afraid too but it gave me confidence in the equipment. And I agree if going those distances the sea is where least people will be harmed if it does fall from the sky. They are great drones if looked after and checked before each flight. Always use DJI batteries and that they are fully charged and in good condition.

After you've lost a drone like I did, you tend to use the drone for taking cool photos and videos instead of just flying it out as far as you can. My advice- Suck it up, buttercup.

Reactions: aermale
Part of my anxiety comes from reading too many lost drone stories on this forum.
On one hand I am learning things that should help minimize the likelihood of a mishap, on the other hand it makes me nervous knowing they are not foolproof.
To make matters worse I have had a few cases of it switching to Atti mode due to magnetic interference.

Sent from my SM-J700T using PhantomPilots mobile app

The one thing you should do is to test your RTH. Make sure you set the RTH altitude high enough to clear whatever can be in the area because it's a straight shot back to you. Find a big open field, send it to the edge, then hit the RTH button. Get used to how it reacts. I freaked the first time I tested it because my P3P returned, but it was moving WAY too fast than I would think, thought it was gonna fly right past me, but it didn't, landed just about where it took off from. Also, try turning off your RC to see how it reacts... test, and test some more...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl