Neighborhood flying..

Not really. A municipality can prevent you from landing or taking off within their boundaries but the airspace is the purveyance of the FAA (at least in the US, at least for now, YMMV). So you can take off on the right of way next to the park, buzz around and land again.

This is how NYC limits UAV flights - you can only take off and land at 'approved heliports'.

SORRY I will edit now , I agree an missed The word NOT in the sentence.

I guess I have been very lucky. A lot of my neighbors see me outside flying and nobody has ever complained. Most of them are actually quite interested and come over to watch the screen and learn more about the hobby. A couple of them have even purchased a smaller drone to fly around their house.

my experience around the house as well, one guy across the the street asked me to go above his house and shoot some pics...

Knock on wood. I've never had an issue with neighbors or the people I've come across in the park where I practice. I fly in my neighborhood/street all the time. As a matter fact the one neighbor that stopped to chat while my Phantom hovered is the Home Owners President. He thought it looked cool and he asked a couple questions then we talked about his time as a Helo pilot in 'nam...

At the park, people either ignore it, comment how it looks like fun, ask questions and thats it. While the parks abbreviated sign about what you can and can't do at the park, doesn't say "No Drones, etc". If you go to the City's Park Rules, it says "No R/C vehicles to include cars, boats, planes, helicopters". So I know I'm in the wrong if someone complains.

I went to video my daughter wedding reception in a park cabin we rented last summer.
of course a park officer comes with the rental. His boss stopped to chat with him.

As I placed my phantom on the ground to ready it he approached and says his boss said your not allowed to fly that here if it is a drone.

so I said that seems silly as we are only folks anywhere around it is a really nice place to shoot and I was using for wedding pics. Pretty legit purpose.
I asked them to show me , and continued to ready my quad, after about 5 minutes they brought out a booklet many, many, years old.

Basically it was the same as you show----no rc or motorized ....... allowed without superintendents authorization.

I packed up! unhappy a hell but it was there in writing.

FWIW this only time ever been stopped or bothered about flying

although a local LEO stopped one day to see why I was in an old unused abandoned area.
Once he saw what I was doing we chatted a moment about our EDC and he was on his way no issue at all.

good luck and have fun flying!

To be honest i decided to flew it over there, because of the nice golf course behind those houses. And i just wanted to get an aerial shot. Ill upload a video and you guys can see it. But next time ill just take it somewhere else.

Or go back and take off from a far and pissed him off lol. But then its just not worth it.

Has anyone experienced this before? i went to my friends house and we were just flying around on their neighborhood park, and some random neighbor went out video tape us and got heavily angry and telling us we cannot fly over to his house.

To disarm the situation i apologize and landed my Phantom immediately, he has a video of me and my plate number lol. I am not sure why he was so angry and even cussed at us.

Let me know your thoughts?
How many people have been killed,maimed,or just received a bad bite from a dog in all the parks in the U.S. yearly? But are dogs still allowed in all parks? Yep! Drone deaths and / or injuries to park patrons?

This weekend I fly at beach. Flying down waters edge to see how far I can go. I was about 75ft or so in air flying at 25 mph and went over some horse back riders that was riding on waters edge. I not think much of it as I was moving fast and high enough but horse back rider stopped and ask me to not fly over horses. I not see how I was bothering them but I just said ok. Later I was thinking maybe he needs not to ride horses in my flight path. He got closer to cars going down beach then he got to my drone. The cars weigh more than my drone and could do more damage to horses than my drone. So I did not see the problem for worry?

Last edited:
This weekend I fly at beach. Flying down waters edge to see how far I can go. I was about 75ft or so in air flying at 25 mph and went over some horse back riders that was riding on waters edge. Iused to think much of it as I was moving fast and high enough buy horse back rider stopped and ask me to not fly over horses. I not see how I was bothering them but I just said ok. Later I was thinking maybe he needs not to ride horses in my flight path. He got closer to cars going down beach then he got to my drone. The cars weigh more than my drone and could do more damage to horses than my drone. So I did not see the problem for worry?
I have had horses in my past. They can easily be spooked and go nuts. I have seen horses not bothered by cars, chainsaws, people touching them and have no problem but a potato chip bag get blown by them and they can freak out. They can get use to anything but something new and strange can scare them. I was adding stalls in my barn once. About six horses inside in stalls. I needed to use a chainsaw inside the barn. I started the saw outside and the horses were scared at first. After a minute of making lots of noise, I went into barn with saw and they didn't care. They went back to eating.

Reactions: QuadBart
I have had horses in my past. They can easily be spooked and go nuts. I have seen horses not bothered by cars, chainsaws, people touching them and have no problem but a potato chip bag get blown by them and they can freak out. They can get use to anything but something new and strange can scare them. I was adding stalls in my barn once. About six horses inside in stalls. I needed to use a chainsaw inside the barn. I started the saw outside and the horses were scared at first. After a minute of making lots of noise, I went into barn with saw and they didn't care. They went back to eating.
that buzzing of motors i can see a horse freaking out. I would have asked them if they would film a sequence for you ( appeal to their ego's .Horse people have big ego's) im sure you could have done a nice beach shot.

ever since that guy shooting the drone went viral everybody is going to give it a bad rap and South Park didn't help either. We live in a paranoid society with homeland security etc. So when people approach you all pissed off and paranoid understand their fears. I have had people yell at me , i tell them. THEIR NOT THAT IMPORTANT TO WASTE MY FILM ON AND TO GET OVER THEMSELVES. It usually pisses them of and they leave.
I fly in my neighborhood and the funny thing is other neighbors show up with their drones and we all fly together. I guess I'm lucky living in an RV park. 98% of everybody comes to watch. I put it on beginner mode and let them try. And everyone has a ball. I only had one old lady saying i was going to poke some ones eye out and everyone boo'd her.
I got on a thred at facebook about shooting down drones and fought with them for a month.and note if anyone shoots at your drone they will go to jail for discharging a firearm in the air in a city limit (felony gun charge).

Reactions: Air Ontario
Yeah, horses can be a bad move, since they are prey animals they react badly to new things as previous posters have said. My brother owns 4 of them & one day I was shooting my niece riding one of them with a DSLR, she got pissy & told me to stop as it was spooking the horse. The horse really didnt care, she was a teenager & just didnt want her picture taken, I have ridden horses most of my life so I understand. I did stop but moved outside the fence & used a long lense instead, she couldnt do jack about it, the only noise my dslr was making was a muted snap noise, yet the horses could care less about my old slr with autowind which makes a lot more noise. (shrugs)

When I want to piss off my neighbors, well actually they piss me off when they rent out their horse drawn carriages & have them riding up & down my border, so I get my CAR rifle out & shoot it on my range instead, their horses havent been bomb-proof so it freaks them out. :p Serves them right, they're not supposed to be doing it & I look at it as training for their horses when I hunt my land.
Guess the drone will be next, LOL.

I've never been into horses as far as riding and such. My wife loved and had to have horses..So we got a couple and ended up moving to a 10 acre ranch thing. I built a riding arena, lots of stalls and we boarded and had trainers that would come and help people. I was on one of ours and decided to ride her ...after a few beers. Normally it was all good and calm. Just a walk around the neighborhood. .We were just standing there and something blew by and scared her. She jumped sideways, I fell off and landed with my arms under my ribs. I think I cracked a rib. Man did that hurt....for a long time. Sometimes people will be riding horses around where I live now down the streets. I always pass them very slowly with no radio on or any other noise. A young girl on top of a 1200 pound horse has no real chance if something goes wrong.

Reactions: SilverStone641
were getting off topic here. the idea was to have courtesy. You do not want to get anyone hurt because of your drone EVER! and as I always say here ask people to film them doesn't hurt. I always get WHY-WHAT For and i tell them youtube and i do it for fun. And they may become youtube stars. 99% say yes or cool.

Man, the world is funny. Quick! Spend 2 grand in equipment and salary to deploy a helicopter and chase a toy aircraft... ha

I flew my Phantom at my parents' while I visited this weekend. Their neighbor pulled in while I was landing and asked if it was a DJI and if I got good shots of the neighborhood. Great neighbor.

not everybody dislikes drone - Many are fascinated and get a kick out of it. I usually make them part of my flying by showing them on the screen and go over what they want to. i have even emailed them pics or video.

Has anyone experienced this before? i went to my friends house and we were just flying around on their neighborhood park, and some random neighbor went out video tape us and got heavily angry and telling us we cannot fly over to his house.

To disarm the situation i apologize and landed my Phantom immediately, he has a video of me and my plate number lol. I am not sure why he was so angry and even cussed at us.

Yep. happened to me too. Last time - I showed the dude the video that it takes using my phone to try to calm his privacy fears (cant see fine details at altitude I fly at). That the FAA regulates the space and I am complying with all laws and safety guidelines, etc. No luck, he still refused to calm the f*ck down. Ive been in the same house for decades, 95% of my neighbors are super cool - this dude hasnt been in that category. He stated he would file a police complaint. I stated I didnt care what he did and that he must think highly of himself to think that I have any interest in him, his yard, or his opinions. Needless to say, I would think he still has issue with me but I have too many years under my belt to give a hoot about idiots. What was funny is that as it was escalating I walked to my backyard to get away from him. He followed as he had the "right to be heard" despite me telling him to leave my property (I told him I have the right to fart in his general direction as he trespassed). I pointed out that he has a better view of my backyard by trespassing than I did by my UAS and I didnt think that was fair (just to poke an angry snail with a stick).

So, if you run into Richards like him and you attempt to educate him and that doesnt work, ignore him/her or mess with them if you find it fun. These people seem to be more prevalent , I think our paranoid nature of US politics and other sociological factors in the US reinforce the tin hat crowd now.

Reactions: henick

My thoughts are that guy is an ******* and You handled it perfectly. I would not have. I would have been fine with him politely asking to stop and would have but as soon as he talked like that to me, he'd have a Phamtom (or whatever you were flying) up his arse.

This weekend I fly at beach. Flying down waters edge to see how far I can go. I was about 75ft or so in air flying at 25 mph and went over some horse back riders that was riding on waters edge. I not think much of it as I was moving fast and high enough but horse back rider stopped and ask me to not fly over horses. I not see how I was bothering them but I just said ok. Later I was thinking maybe he needs not to ride horses in my flight path. He got closer to cars going down beach then he got to my drone. The cars weigh more than my drone and could do more damage to horses than my drone. So I did not see the problem for worry?

Personally, I think you "over-thought" this and logic and reason flew right out the window with the drone. I mean, what happened? At first, you were "OK" with the idea that the horseback riders were concerned, but somehow later your thinking morphed into them keeping their horses off your flight path, and potentially cars doing more damage than your little drone. Lord, talk about getting all defensive and crazy!

Perhaps if you had been one of the horseback riders and felt the reaction of the horses to the drone, you might feel differently.

Why are so many of us so darned defensive about these darned drones? Makes absolutely no sense!

When I first bought my drone, I flew over my neighborhood. It was a Saturday and I had just got it. I WAS EXCITED..SO I FLEW..SUE ME! LOL. But I don't make a habit out of it. One of my neighbors told my immediate next door neighbor (we hang with these people) that I was flying right outside her window. So I showed her my video and nabbed it in the butt. No where near her house. Then she insisted it wasn't THAT particular flight. I assured her it was. She kinda "hmmff'd" at me and that was that. I really don't see the big "OMG A DRONE" kinda thing. You can walk by these homes on the sidewalk and see more than you ever would with a drone. Look right inside their front windows and watch them eat dinner. Legally, I can stand outside and take pictures if I want. I have a nice digital camera I can zoom right in through a window and count the hairs on your..well..you know. My point is this, if you're not hurting anyone and no one is in danger and no property is in danger (I was flying over the wooded area behind my home), what's the problem? Are these just people that have nothing better to do but b*tch about you flying a model aircraft? What has the world come to? But little Johnny down the street can fly his cheap drone and it's "Oh isn't that just the cutest thing?" I felt like saying, "Well maybe I don't wanna see your white rump in a bathing suit 3 times too small for you while you sunbathe out back! I have kids ya know..and they don't need to see a rhino wearing a bikini while eating dinner on the deck!"

Uneducated people make uneducated arguments. But I kept my trap shut. After all, better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl