Neighborhood flying..

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this before? i went to my friends house and we were just flying around on their neighborhood park, and some random neighbor went out video tape us and got heavily angry and telling us we cannot fly over to his house.

To disarm the situation i apologize and landed my Phantom immediately, he has a video of me and my plate number lol. I am not sure why he was so angry and even cussed at us.

Let me know your thoughts?

Some people are bizarre. I went to a local park to fly my typhoon. Didn't think much of it and people pretty much ignored it. Then a police helicopter started to circle the park. The next day I called the police department to see if I had done something wrong.

Turns out my city bans the flying of quads, planes and helis in the local parks. Also my neighboring cities have the same rules and regulations. Mine is kind of lame as it refers to remote control planes. Verbally they told me that includes quads. I would think that would maybe give me a fighting chance in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been many threads about that sort of thing here. So I won't attempt to digest them all into a couple of sentences.

Most people love to see a "drone" (be nice, you know what I mean) for the first time. But, occasionally you'll find those who are worried about privacy or the proximity of a gadget flying over their heads, or are just plain paranoid.

Certainly, be a good neighbor. It's not worth a violent confrontation, or even losing a former friend.

Otherwise, if you were flying legally and safely, keep doing so! Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to fly over residential areas, even if you're over a public street. But we don't need to argue about that here.

Public parks, if you have their permission, are great places!

Last edited:
Some people are bizarre. I went to a local park to fly my typhoon. Didn't think much of it and people pretty much ignored it. Then a police helicopter started to circle the park. The next day I called the police department to see if I had done something wrong.

Turns out my city bans the flying of quads, planes and helis in the local parks. Also my neighboring cities have the same rules and regulations. Mine is kind of lame as it refers to remote control planes. Verbally they told me that includes quads. I would think that would maybe give me a fighting chance in court.

See if you can get a copy of the local ordinance that bans them. There have also been many posts here stating the only the FAA can do that sort of thing. But the legal and court fees may not be worth the hassle. And/or the police may simply be wrong.

I live near Atlanta and have full written permission to fly in the local parks of my town, as well as in Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of NYC's Central Park). Maybe all you need to do is sit down with city's legal dept. for a quiet chat!

There have been many thread about that sort of thing here. So I won't attempt to digest them all into a couple of sentences.

Most people love to see a "drone" (be nice, you know what I mean) for the first time. But, occasionally you'll find those who are worried about privacy or the proximity of a gadget flying over their heads, or are just plain paranoid.

Certainly, be a good neighbor. It's not worth a violent confrontation, or even losing a former friend.

Otherwise, if you were flying legally and safely, keep doing so! Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to fly over residential areas, even if you're over a public street. But we don't need to argue about that here.

Public parks, if you have their permission, are great places!

I totally agree with you, i guess we just have too much freedom, that the Laws cannot even catch to the technology that's evolving.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
See if you can get a copy of the local ordinance that bans them. There have also been many posts here stating the only the FAA can do that sort of thing. But the legal and court fees may not be worth the hassle. And/or the police may simply be wrong.

I live near Atlanta and have full written permission to fly in the local parks of my town, as well as in Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of NYC's Central Park). Maybe all you need to do is sit down with city's legal dept. for a quiet chat!

Yeah I got an email from the city attorney explaining it all and citing the code where it states that. Interestingly enough the police think it's ok but the parks and recreation doesn't think so. Makes me wonder if a neighbor complains then they do something about it. If not they leave it alone.

Since then I have joined a local RC Club and the parks and recreation dept has established an open field for us. There is only so much footage I can get of the park before that got boring so now I'm venturing out to helis and planes. Plus they all fly gliders and planes so I feel like I fit in better.

Yes there are people who object but they can't do much legally if you are 82' or above. But legality is not every thing, you have to live in the neighborhood peacefully. Try to understand their point of view and explain your reasoning to come out with a acceptable solution.

Few people have enquired me if I have FAA registration. When I displayed it on P3, they just walked away.

I would have hovered focusing the camera on him, alerted him that his irrational behavior was being recorded, & dispensed a thought-provoking bit of wisdom such as , "Dude is that your head or did someone take a dump on your shoulders?" :eek:

Has anyone experienced this before? i went to my friends house and we were just flying around on their neighborhood park, and some random neighbor went out video tape us and got heavily angry and telling us we cannot fly over to his house.

Let me know your thoughts?

Well unfortunately i am not from that neighborhood and im just visiting a freind and showing him the drone. I just dont want to engage him more and at the end of day its just not worth it.

To disarm the situation i apologize and landed my Phantom immediately, he has a video of me and my plate number lol. I am not sure why he was so angry and even cussed at us.
Apologize for what?, you didn't do anything illegal, I would've brought my phantom closer and record him too, then accuse him of instigating you and verbally assaulting you without reason, no need to get confrontational just defend your cause..... I fly at my local parks all the time, I get nothing but curious people wanting to know more about my phantom, I'm still waiting for the some person to get smart with me and I'll put them in their place because I'm not doing anything illegal just flying around and enjoying my hobby

Well to be honest he was so pissed for no reason, i guess his just having a bad day. And i totally agree with you but then again i am just visiting my friend and i am not from that neighborhood. Its just not worth it.

I have flown down batteries on my court and my neighbors have been curious and fine with it. I did one longer flight earlier this winter around the neighborhood after a snow storm. But for the most part I avoid flying in the neighborhood. It's just not worth the possible hassle. Besides the fact that I don't consider flying over houses and streets the safest choice on a regular basis either. I prefer to just go out of my way a bit and fly at my local wide open spots.

Reactions: WetDog
I fly in my development constantly. Most neighbors are cool with it, except one crazy mom. She came knocking on my door asking me if im the person with the drone. I told her I was and asked whay I could do for her. She informs me her son claims it was flying outside his window. I informed her 1. I don't know who she is, 2. I don't know where she lives and 3. I keep a digital record of all flights including altitude, location, time etc and that if she and her little angel wanted to view the fight record, she would see it was nowhere near her house. Possibly 150 ft above it but can't do much about that. She proceeds to call me a fuc*ing pervert and threatens to call the police if she sees it again. I bring it to the door and show it to her so she sees it again and offer to call the police for her. I'll show the flight recordings from healthy drone and let them ask her any she's filing false police reports. She then starts screaming and demands I fly somewhere else. I inform her Im registered to fly, maintain under 400 ft and not within 5 miles of an airport. I tell her she should perhaps set up camp near the runway as drones can't fly there. Other then that, call the police. I have my flight records with location, altitude and can even play a flight simulation over Google maps.

An hour later, I'm flying (yeah, I knew she would see it, hell, I made sure of it). She drove by and called me a pervert again. I told her I was nominating her for mother of the year.

People are crazy.

Last edited:
I never fly from my house for this reason, people are fricken crazy sometimes. However I do occasionally fly from a nearby park or church (not on Sunday's of course) lawn for testing purposes, never for fun. I've never had anyone challenge me, only questions of interest, cost, range, typical stuff. I don't think flying over neighborhoods very fun at all. I live in So. Calif and there are literally hundreds of interesting places to fly within 50mi that aren't near neighborhoods. Each weekend I have a trip planned to fly my 5 batteries. This weekend is was Los Angeles Harbor, checked out the Los Angeles port lighthouse, as well as a few boats in the area fishing, touring, sailing, etc. Last weekend it was Palos Verdes peninsula, Point Vicente Lighthouse area. My backpack lets me go into remote places to fly, which is where I prefer because there are usually few people. If see people walking by, I let them pass by before I launch. I even bought an electric mountain bike to ride so I can get very remote in open areas, that's a real kick to ride on trails.

I've had one guy get mad at me. I was riding my bike doing the follow me mode thing, riding along the beach. When the battery got low I had to hover the drone while I stopped the bike and get off and land it. Unfortunately I hovered too close to a guys house apparently. When I landed he found me and started giving me what for. He thought I was with a detective agency, asking who I work for, etc. I assured him I was only having fun with my drone following my bike, and apologized for hovering near his home. It all worked out, but I feel people that have a problem with drones flying nearby have something to hide or they're naturally paranoid.

I learned that if I am near homes, don't ever hover :rolleyes:. I think hovering makes people the most paranoid and angry.

So JFHughes, that lady is hiding something! She probably has a meth lab in the house.:D Talk to her neighbors, they'll know.

Her house happens to be under my approach angle. Oh well, guess she'll have to get used to seeing drone lights at night :)

Knock on wood. I've never had an issue with neighbors or the people I've come across in the park where I practice. I fly in my neighborhood/street all the time. As a matter fact the one neighbor that stopped to chat while my Phantom hovered is the Home Owners President. He thought it looked cool and he asked a couple questions then we talked about his time as a Helo pilot in 'nam...

At the park, people either ignore it, comment how it looks like fun, ask questions and thats it. While the parks abbreviated sign about what you can and can't do at the park, doesn't say "No Drones, etc". If you go to the City's Park Rules, it says "No R/C vehicles to include cars, boats, planes, helicopters". So I know I'm in the wrong if someone complains.

Reactions: JBJO
So far no has said anything to me in the neighborhood. They have actually come out and watched me fly it. I stay in the street at 100-200' height and follow those to the parks and then wind through the parks and hover. The only time I'm over anyone's house is RTH to come right back as battery is getting low.

The park can ban you from flying from within the park grounds. In other words you being in the park on the ground gives that ability legally.

edit:
they can NOT ban you from flying over the park!

Last edited:
I guess I have been very lucky. A lot of my neighbors see me outside flying and nobody has ever complained. Most of them are actually quite interested and come over to watch the screen and learn more about the hobby. A couple of them have even purchased a smaller drone to fly around their house.

The park can ban you from flying from within the park grounds. In other words you being in the park on the ground gives that ability legally.
they can ban you from flying over the park!

Not really. A municipality can prevent you from landing or taking off within their boundaries but the airspace is the purveyance of the FAA (at least in the US, at least for now, YMMV). So you can take off on the right of way next to the park, buzz around and land again.

This is how NYC limits UAV flights - you can only take off and land at 'approved heliports'.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl