Neighbor threatened to kill me for flying my phantom...

Flying over someone's property isn't necessarily invading their privacy. If I simply go past or even over someone's property at 250ft and keep going on my merry way, there would have to be intent to invade privacy for that to be a privacy issue. Otherwise it is no different than a Cessna at 500ft or a Boeing at 35,000 feet.

Agreed. Even 100' over is fine in my opinion. Not for a Cessna though. ;)

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread. So perhaps there's more info here than what I'm replying to.

Overall, it's just good practice to remain as far away from any domicile as possible. If I were so limited in my flight right outside of my home, personally, I wouldn't fly there. Also, I believe every word the OP posted in his initial post. There are MANY people out there who wear tinfoil hats and think the world is spying on them. They could easily become convinced the OP is a government agent posing as a civilian in an effort to gain information about their lifestyles. I've met my fair share of these types in the years I've been flying R/C aircraft. Even more so since mounting cameras on a couple of my aircraft. They simply cannot believe that you aren't capable of reading the serial number on a dollar bill from 50 meters away. I have a very simple way of dealing with such people. I take my laptop with me every time I fly and here's why.

Roughly 18 months ago, while flying one of my heli's with a cheap, 2mp camera on it that was recording video, I had the cops called on me and a lady accused me of taking video of her laying out nude in her back yard. A yard that at my closest approach, was over 25 meters away although I was in a soccer field within 25m of her fenced in back yard. My flight path was directly away from her house as I was doing some video of the local YMCA for a friend who worked there as a maintenance guy and he was wanting to know what shape the roof was in after a bad storm.

She approached me from behind, wrapped in a robe and wearing some slip on shoes, while the heli was still in the air. Being used to people walking up to me to ask about my aircraft, I quickly looked at her and realized her body language was of the ill tempered type. Still, that realization couldn't help my heli because as soon as it landed, she kicked it.

Her foot was cut and when the cops showed up, she accused me of having "flown the thing into her". The cops had showed up within a couple of minutes after she kicked it and I went toe to toe with her calling her a liar. Lo.

What these good people fail to realize is we near always video our fun day so our intent verse their paranoia can always be shown as Blackhawk displayed, a good read to wake up to as well.

You mentioned guns.
:)

I know few friends who have modest drone paranoia, but I have yet to encounter an angry bystander. Everyone I have come in contact with thinks my drones are cool. I often fly mine up and down the street (sans cars) and over my back yard. I'm careful not to cross any property line or fly in a manner that would cause anyone to feel threatened. All my neighbors show curiosity and interest in my hobby.

The day may come when I encounter someone with an unreasonable fear of UAS's. I hope that if accosted, I'm able to keep my calm and diffuse the situation. I don't carry a firearm, but am quite capable of defending myself in most circumstances. Walking away is always my first choice.

Two of my quads are a bit larger than my P3 & P1 (Walkera Scout and home-built 650mm w/ 14" props). In a bind, I think they could serve as a deterrent, distraction or even used in an defensive manner. If someone brandished a gun and pointed it in my direction, I might be tempted to fly my bird directly into their face at full throttle.
Amen

What these good people fail to realize is we near always video our fun day so our intent verse their paranoia can always be shown as Blackhawk displayed, a good read to wake up to as well.

You mentioned guns.
:)

Yes, I did mention guns. I am almost always armed due to the unpredictable nature of man these days. However, in this instance, I would not of produced my weapon. The offender was obviously looking to intimidate, NOT eradicate. There is a very fine difference here.

There is some adoration of people here in the United States in using a weapon to "protect" themselves while never understanding, due to a lack of experience, the true nature of having done so. The very moment a person from some other Country says they despise Americans for our guns, I laugh because they typically follow that up with using their fists. Fists or a gun, both are tools. Both cause consequences that are unforeseen at the time of their usage. I have used both on my fellow man and both have caused me great consternation in their remembrance.

Being in combat multiple times over my Army career has likely given me a perspective many people who proclaim, "I would of shot his ***!!!!" lack. I have a much more realistic perspective of my actions vs. such proclamations. Earned through hard experience. So I am not one to simply proclaim what I would of done. Each situation is extremely dependent on so many external factors that proclaiming such only makes me cringe out of knowing how very inexperienced those people are.

Reactions: ctp and Apparition
Yes, I did mention guns. I am almost always armed due to the unpredictable nature of man these days. However, in this instance, I would not of produced my weapon. The offender was obviously looking to intimidate, NOT eradicate. There is a very fine difference here.

There is some adoration of people here in the United States in using a weapon to "protect" themselves while never understanding, due to a lack of experience, the true nature of having done so. The very moment a person from some other Country says they despise Americans for our guns, I laugh because they typically follow that up with using their fists. Fists or a gun, both are tools. Both cause consequences that are unforeseen at the time of their usage. I have used both on my fellow man and both have caused me great consternation in their remembrance.

Being in combat multiple times over my Army career has likely given me a perspective many people who proclaim, "I would of shot his ***!!!!" lack. I have a much more realistic perspective of my actions vs. such proclamations. Earned through hard experience. So I am not one to simply proclaim what I would of done. Each situation is extremely dependent on so many external factors that proclaiming such only makes me cringe out of knowing how very inexperienced those people are.

Yes I completely understand and thank you for replying.

I can't add anything as your life (I've read some of your other posts) is just to different from my own, I do know guns remove joy of life and we only have one.

A side note and not personal, gun loving people spend a lot of time explaining perspectives within gun ownership, perhaps better spent simply having a nice day.
Many owners will say having the gun makes for a nice day, it doesn't.

I rather be smacked in the face than shot in the face but I'd still rather sit down with a cup of tea and talk about the problem :)

The quad always seems angry with me, it needs a bullet.

Yes I completely understand and thank you for replying.

I can't add anything as your life (I've read some of your other posts) is just to different from my own, I do know guns remove joy of life and we only have one.

A side note and not personal, gun loving people spend a lot of time explaining perspectives within gun ownership, perhaps better spent simply having a nice day.
Many owners will say having the gun makes for a nice day, it doesn't.

I rather be smacked in the face than shot in the face but I'd still rather sit down with a cup of tea and talk about the problem :)

The quad always seems angry with me, it needs a bullet.

If only all felt the way you do. The way I do. I sincerely wish there were no needs for a gun or weapon of ANY type. If only humanity were able to discern their issues and confrontations with such sweet intent as what you and I would "like" to happen.

The very unfortunate truth is this. There is, for my lifetime at least, always going to be those who wish to prey upon the weak. I, personally, would prefer to appear weak while remaining strong. Being able to defend those I love and myself.

It's unfortunate that so many countries who have a no gun policy also see criminals carrying guns, knives and bats (sticks). Personally, I will ALWAYS choose the superior weapon as a man of principles, mores and ethics over those of the criminals who have demonstrated none of the above.

Given a "caveman" environment, I'll choose my "American gun" environment each and every time.

May God bless you sir. For I sure wish that for you.

He sounds mentally unstable, dangerous, and legally vulnerable based on the threats he's already being made. That being said, why push it? Find someplace to fly in a less dense, tense place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread. So perhaps there's more info here than what I'm replying to.

Overall, it's just good practice to remain as far away from any domicile as possible. If I were so limited in my flight right outside of my home, personally, I wouldn't fly there. Also, I believe every word the OP posted in his initial post. There are MANY people out there who wear tinfoil hats and think the world is spying on them. They could easily become convinced the OP is a government agent posing as a civilian in an effort to gain information about their lifestyles. I've met my fair share of these types in the years I've been flying R/C aircraft. Even more so since mounting cameras on a couple of my aircraft. They simply cannot believe that you aren't capable of reading the serial number on a dollar bill from 50 meters away. I have a very simple way of dealing with such people. I take my laptop with me every time I fly and here's why.

Roughly 18 months ago, while flying one of my heli's with a cheap, 2mp camera on it that was recording video, I had the cops called on me and a lady accused me of taking video of her laying out nude in her back yard. A yard that at my closest approach, was over 25 meters away although I was in a soccer field within 25m of her fenced in back yard. My flight path was directly away from her house as I was doing some video of the local YMCA for a friend who worked there as a maintenance guy and he was wanting to know what shape the roof was in after a bad storm.

She approached me from behind, wrapped in a robe and wearing some slip on shoes, while the heli was still in the air. Being used to people walking up to me to ask about my aircraft, I quickly looked at her and realized her body language was of the ill tempered type. Still, that realization couldn't help my heli because as soon as it landed, she kicked it.

Her foot was cut and when the cops showed up, she accused me of having "flown the thing into her". The cops had showed up within a couple of minutes after she kicked it and I went toe to toe with her calling her a liar. Longish story shorter, I got out my laptop, I was using it to transfer video from the 512mb Micro SD card to the laptop to make room for more video on the SD card, and plugged the SD card into the adapter and then showed the cops exactly what had happened. Before ever removing the SD card, I established with the woman, in front of the cops, that the aircraft had been airborne the whole time until she kicked it upon landing and that I had not approached the heli until that moment. Since I always land nose in when wind allows, the heli picked up her approach and kick. It also showed that at no time had it recorded her laying out nude in her backyard. She also said on more than one occasion that I wasn't just an Army guy, I lived about six houses down from her so she had seen me outside in my uniform, but a SPY for the government who thought she was anti-government and a threat to the POTUS.

I pressed charges for making false claims of a criminal nature and she was prosecuted, and convicted, of filing a false police report, damage to private property and issuing false claims of criminal conduct. She received one year probation and was ordered to pay for my $500 heli investment.

This happened in LA. Lower Alabama. ;)

Fortunately, and I do not advocate the growing of illegal substances in ones home or yard...just for the record, but that is none of our business nor that of the police if a person hasn't given the authorities any reason to search their home and/or property. At this point, with the information given in the initial post, there is no avenue that would lead to the cops being granted a search warrant.

The gun and knife were in the mans hand/truck. That is ALL the authorities have the right to search. If the OP was the only one who could give an eyewitness account of the gun, then there isn't a gun in the equation unless there is some type of video footage, other witness or, the idiot implicates himself. The cops cannot just search the mans truck on his property with a warrant or otherwise based solely on the word of one person saying he pulled a gun. Especially if said idiot has the mental capability to know his own rights.

Even if said idiot were to admit to pulling out a gun, if the gun isn't in his truck then the cops will need a search warrant for the home. If this idiot has any common sense at all and IS doing something illegal in his home, he will offer the weapons up to the cops upon initial contact which will, in all likelihood, prevent such search. If the idiot has a criminal history of displaying weapons in a threatening manner, then a judge would be much more likely to issue a search warrant.

Ok as you can see I don't post much in hear.. The OP stated somewhere in this thread that he had been flying for 10 years. As a Pilot who has been flying for over 20 years and have one of the FAA blue cards to show for it. Under FAR 91.8 (I think it's changed to a different number now after 911). It was a $$$$$ fine and 3 years Federal time for harassing intimating a Pilot in the performance of his duties. At this time with the new drone rules in effect it would carry much more weight in Court.

The only problem I see is the OP was not flying under the current rules. 150' is too close to a house unless you are taking off or landing. (wink wink) It still does not give anyone the right to pull a gun on you though.

PS I'm from UA (Upper Alabama);)

BlackHawk388 I'm kind of with you on this one. I've been married about 10 years. I married in to a law enforcement family. (Father-in-law is a 31 year cop, and the brother-in-law spent 8 years as one.) When I was first dating my wife the Father-in-law and I got into a descution on people pulling guns on cops. He made his point by quick pulling out a finger pointing it at me and going BANG. He said you don't understand it's that quick. Having Been in combat multiple times in Army I think you get his point if anyone in hear does.

The world is full of disturbed and mentally unstable people. This isn't an issue with the phantom. Just a case of coming across a nutter that latched onto the drone as an issue.

There's a lot of stupid people out there. When I told people at work that I was getting to drone, one guy asked me if I was trying to spy on people?

BlackHawk388 I'm kind of with you on this one. I've been married about 10 years. I married in to a law enforcement family. (Father-in-law is a 31 year cop, and the brother-in-law spent 8 years as one.) When I was first dating my wife the Father-in-law and I got into a descution on people pulling guns on cops. He made his point by quick pulling out a finger pointing it at me and going BANG. He said you don't understand it's that quick. Having Been in combat multiple times in Army I think you get his point if anyone in hear does.

It is that quick. If someone were going to use a gun out of their glove box, they would pull it out quickly, point, shoot and haul ***. Not caress it, slightly show it, look at you while talking about it or any of that. That's why there's an offense many police agencies call "Brandishing a Weapon". With a lack of other witnesses, if the weapon was never discharged, they will sometimes use that charge if they cannot prove a verbal threat on someones life was made but are able to establish a weapon was present.

worthless.gif

To the OP, not one of you had a cell phone out taking video of the encounter?????

There was a camera on the Phantom... ?

It's kind of crazy that we live in a country where the government is on the one hand busy trying to ban relatively harmless drones which so far have killed nobody, and on the other hand refuses to ban guns which kill tens of thousands of people every year. If the government does ban drones, the first thing I'll be doing is buying myself a nice set of guns. If that's what they want us to be spending our money on, so be it.

It's kind of crazy that we live in a country where the government is on the one hand busily trying to ban relatively harmless guns which so far have killed nobody, and on the other hand hasn't fully regulated drones, which could potentially kill hundreds of people at a time. If the government does ban guns, the first thing I'll be doing is buying myself a nice set of drones.

Because guns, nor drones kill people.

Occasionally I'll encounter someone who is angry or upset/disturbed with my UAV flying. For these instances I invite them to sit down and share some imitation crab meat I keep on hand. This usually lowers their temper or encourages them to move along. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z