Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Need someone smart to work this out for me..

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by SeeUAV, May 30, 2014.

1. SeeUAV

Hello smart people. I suck at maths and physics stuff. I was wondering if based on the size of the camera and the angle of the lens if it is possible to calculate how many meters high I need to fly my P2V+ to cover a specific measured area on the ground. For example, how high off the ground would I need to fly to see in full a 60m wide park?

I am sure there probably is a mathematical way so I can just punch in my height off the ground to work out how much ground I can record, I am just not smart enough to understand what it takes to do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. kgarrison

If it wasn't 1am I could probably do the math on it, but being generally lazy I don't really see the point. I would just fly up to where I could see the park and get the shot without worrying about how high I needed to be. It's going to be a few hundred or so.

3. Flighttime

Yep, as kgarrisson said, you could just fly and see.

But if for some reason you like the challenge and do some calculations then you'd find that to cover a 60m park at full 110 degrees FOV you'll need to fly at approx. 21m.

The formula you'd want to use for 110 FOV is:

x = (n/2)/tan 55

n is the width of the park or any subject matter you'd like to cover in full

4. SeeUAV

Thanks heaps, this is more for planning flights as sometimes I work out exactly what shots I want and how high I need to be. This is awesome!