Need new P3P gimbal / camera

Reaction score
Hi all,

I crashed my P3P and the camera/gimbal snapped off. See the pictures below. I'd like to buy the whole camera/gimbal package as affordable as possible (I'm unemployed right now), but can't find a link here to one. I'm sure I saw a thread just a few weeks ago, but I just moved and have little time for further searching, so if someone can give me a pointer, I would appreciate it much.

The crash: I'm pretty proficient now and am usually very careful, but I was stupid that afternoon, flying fast and low among trees and hit a sturdy branch. It hit the ground squealing. After dusting it off, I found that it still flew just fine, so shell / motors are all working fine. I just need the gimbal / camera package.

Philosophical questions section: is it going to be that much cheaper than just waiting for a whole bird to get down around $500? Will that take too long? If I can get the gimbal / camera package for around $300 or less now, I would do that, but if it going to cost closer to $500 and they've been going for ~$799 on eBay from time to time ... what'ya think?

Cheers,
Chris

One.jpg
Two.jpg

Hi all,

I crashed my P3P and the camera/gimbal snapped off. See the pictures below. I'd like to buy the whole camera/gimbal package as affordable as possible (I'm unemployed right now), but can't find a link here to one. I'm sure I saw a thread just a few weeks ago, but I just moved and have little time for further searching, so if someone can give me a pointer, I would appreciate it much.

The crash: I'm pretty proficient now and am usually very careful, but I was stupid that afternoon, flying fast and low among trees and hit a sturdy branch. It hit the ground squealing. After dusting it off, I found that it still flew just fine, so shell / motors are all working fine. I just need the gimbal / camera package.

Philosophical questions section: is it going to be that much cheaper than just waiting for a whole bird to get down around $500? Will that take too long? If I can get the gimbal / camera package for around $300 or less now, I would do that, but if it going to cost closer to $500 and they've been going for ~$799 on eBay from time to time ... what'ya think?

Cheers,
Chris

View attachment 49584 View attachment 49585
If you are sure you want a whole new camera/gimbal instead of fixing it, you can try the classified. Here is one for example:
Want to buy a 2nd hand phantom pro camera!

Also new from DJI.
Buy Phantom 3 Professional - 4K Gimbal Camera | DJI Store

Or the links from @msinger
Camera & Gimbal (4K)
Camera & Gimbal (4K)
Camera & Gimbal (4K)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
You should just fix it with a new cable and arm kit. If the cable and arm are the only thing messed up you could fix it yourself for around 80$

You should just fix it with a new cable and arm kit. If the cable and arm are the only thing messed up you could fix it yourself for around 80$
+1 ^
Exactly, then also buy a carbon fiber camera guard. I've got both the camera guard and gimbal ribbon cable saver and so the mount for the camera breaks an arm and pulls the 2 cables from their brackets but that little protection makes for easy fixing. I glue the mount and it's flying in 15 minutes. I ordered a couple of these to try next time because.... There's always a next time... :)
Amazon.com: BTG Parts for DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced - Carbon Fiber Gimbal Vibration Isolator Plate + Damping Rubber Balls & Anti-drop Pins Kit (Not compatible with Phantom 3 Standard): Toys & Games

Proposal 1: Buy new gimbal/ cam from DJI for $389. Sell your broken gimbal with cam on eBay for 120

Proposal 2: Buy used P3A gimbal with cam and modify with broken parts ( card + fan)

Proposal 3: Buy the broken parts and reassemble

Proposal 4: Send for repairs

Okay, but the thing is, how do I know that it's just the ribbon cable and arm? What if I go to all that trouble to find the card and fan are damaged? Is it relatively easy to determine if the card is cracked?

**** it for this happening during a move. I don't know where my precision tools are right now, just the hammer and wrench type toolbox.

Proposal 1: Buy new gimbal/ cam from DJI for $389. Sell your broken gimbal with cam on eBay for 120 ...

That's interesting. I guess the guys that are selling used/repaired packages for $275-300 are buying those broken parts and turning them around. If I could sell my parts for almost 1/3rd the DJI price, it would hurt a lot less, plus give me assurance that I'm not going to find something else in the package broken since I would be installing new.

Okay, but the thing is, how do I know that it's just the ribbon cable and arm? What if I go to all that trouble to find the card and fan are damaged? Is it relatively easy to determine if the card is cracked?

**** it for this happening during a move. I don't know where my precision tools are right now, just the hammer and wrench type toolbox.

You are exactly right. The same thing happened to me. Pretty much busted like yours. Had to replace the yaw arm, and ribbon cable. Did that but ended up buying a cheap ribbon cable that only fixed some things and produced more errors. Then spending more money for another ribbon cable. Then only to find out I needed another motor. It was getting very expensive and time consuming. I ended up buying another new camera. Much easier unless you like working on intricate electronics and maybe have some experience on same. I would recommend getting a new camera at the best possible price. That alone is not easy as sometimes you don't know the source you are getting it from either. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Good luck on your job search too.

Reactions: JoBe
You are exactly right. The same thing happened to me. Pretty much busted like yours. Had to replace the yaw arm, and ribbon cable. Did that but ended up buying a cheap ribbon cable that only fixed some things and produced more errors. Then spending more money for another ribbon cable. Then only to find out I needed another motor. It was getting very expensive and time consuming. I ended up buying another new camera. Much easier unless you like working on intricate electronics and maybe have some experience on same. I would recommend getting a new camera at the best possible price. That alone is not easy as sometimes you don't know the source you are getting it from either. Good luck whatever you decide to do. Good luck on your job search too.
That pretty much cinches it for me, given how I've been through that ringer before and have little time or inclination to do it again (at least, at this juncture). So thanks for that and the well wishes! Off to order new from DJI.

Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Reed L
I went the same route(DJI NEW 389) and kept my old for parts or resale.
My issue was mainly a broken ribbon cable but you never know until you start spending money trying to save money.

I ordered from DJI on Sat night, arrived at my door Friday noon.

Reactions: Reed L
I went the same route(DJI NEW 389) and kept my old for parts or resale.
My issue was mainly a broken ribbon cable but you never know until you start spending money trying to save money.

I ordered from DJI on Sat night, arrived at my door Friday noon.
Cool. So I have about a week to find my precision tools!

Thanks,
Chris

That pretty much cinches it for me, given how I've been through that ringer before and have little time or inclination to do it again (at least, at this juncture). So thanks for that and the well wishes! Off to order new from DJI.

Cheers,
Chris

Glad to help. Happy flying.

I had to buy one to get the ribbon from DJI
And this guy is on eBay very nice replacement parts.
Image1460003609.736078.jpg

Never take life to seriously or you will never get out Alive lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl