Near Fly Away

Reaction score
Just wondering if I should be concerned or if lack of compass calibration could cause this?

I was flying a new Phantom 1 (2nd one I've owned - first one I crashed in the ocean and fixed, but don't trust it fully so I bought a replacement too) and as I was flying it, it started to drift which I attributed to wind. I corrected. This then got worse and I fought to correct, but it really started to move too quickly and I realized I was losing control. I was just in my yard and it wasn't too far from my and under 10' so as it took off into my back yard, I just killed the motors. I dropped to the ground and I retrieved it.

I swapped to a new battery, did the compass calibration and cautiously flew for the next few minutes before then doing some higher/further flights. All was well.

So could my not having calibrated the compass prior cause an issue like this? Never had issues with my original so this made me a little nervous as I'll be using it to take video/pictures in the USVI next week and killing the motors will mean a water crash most likely - at least the gopro will survive that though.

Similar thing happened to me when i fitst bought my phantom, i had neglected to calibrate the TX so its not suprising really ...

Open the Naza software and calibrate the TX at least.

maytrix said:
So could my not having calibrated the compass prior cause an issue like this?

Yep, and based on the symptoms and the fact it behaved once you did calibrate the compass I'd feel pretty confident that was the issue. Sounds like you experienced the classic Toilet Bowl Effect (TBE).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl