Naza M FW 4.00 released

•Add Flight limits (Default Max Height is 2000m and Max radius is 2000m).

GOLD!!!

Of course, #1 test will be resetting both to about 20m for the first flight!!!

The press release does not mention it's for the Ver2 Naza anywhere, it's only when you get to the download page that you see that.

As we have come to expect from DJI now....... IT DOESN'T WORK !

The link in the assist 2.18 software still points to v3.16 firmware (as usual)

Do they ever learn?

The Editor said:

Do they ever learn?

Yea, I just said that... it's for the NAza v2, not the V1

marcus_canada said:
The Editor said:

Do they ever learn?

Yea, I just said that... it's for the NAza v2, not the V1

And the Phantom. Either way.... the link doesn't work as usual.

Totally OT but.

What does DJI think this means in release notes Notes:
 For safety reason, do not use power battery during firmware upgrade.
I know you have to have power to update and work within the FW but what do they think it means?

E

edunwody said:
Totally OT but.

I know you have to have power to update and work within the FW but what do they think it means?

E

Thats always been shown in NAZA assistant prior to updating firmware, no other way to do an update in the phantom without a battery but I think it disables the radio automatically during the update I think. If you want to be extra safe you could take off the props during the update but I never do and have yet to hear of anyone have one either start motors or takeoff during upgrade or calibrations.

edunwody said:
Totally OT but.

E

Thats the bad chinese - english translation. Real meaning:
"For safety reason, do not use a LAPTOP or PC powered by battery during firmware upgrade."

They really need some work on their translations. They must be using the iTranslate app.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So once again DJI digs itself further into their pit of disorganisation and awful online support.

Question - does anyone owning a Phantom actually have a Naza M V2 (the yellow one)? I haven't seen any photos or videos of one inside a Phantom (other than a replacement for crash damage).

Dewey,

I ordered a V2 (hasn't got here yet) after the barometric sensor on my V1 went stupid . . . just a minor crash too. After disassembly and threatening to flush it down the toilet, it decided to straighten up and fly right.

Speaking of which, instead of all this speculation about how bad things is or isn't when each new version comes out, what we need to do is pick a few people we don't like all that much and make them do the "upgrade" and be the guinea pigs. Then we can watch them squirm and get back to us with the sordid details. Being as I thought of this excellent idea, I'm automatically excluded from the "don't like all that much" list. :twisted:

bumper

DeweyAXD said:
So once again DJI digs itself further into their pit of disorganisation and awful online support.

Question - does anyone owning a Phantom actually have a Naza M V2 (the yellow one)? I haven't seen any photos or videos of one inside a Phantom (other than a replacement for crash damage).

I'm just as confused as everyone else.

I thought I read that the newest NAZA firmware "upgrades" the NAZA to the same as a V2, but who knows.

Gizmo3000 said:
DeweyAXD said:

I'm just as confused as everyone else.

I thought I read that the newest NAZA firmware "upgrades" the NAZA to the same as a V2, but who knows.

I thought the same thing at the time but since came to the conclusion it can't be so. How can a company so big with so much technology in their products be so bad at something as critical as Firmware.

Phantoms have a Serial Number on a sticker too. They could soooo easily just say "Phantoms with serial number from XX to XXX use this firmware".

Time will tell. I think it is safe to say the forum will be flooded with confusion over the next week.

I just updated my old Phantom with v4.0 firmware, I needed to download v2.18 assistant first. I have no PMUv2 and so my NAZA is definitely v1, I also downloaded the default paramaters and have done an advanced calibration. There is a menu option for altitude and radius within assistant, I will go for a test fly soon and either post success or start another flyaway thread. :lol:

I do like the distance limits and having these user adjustable is a good thing, In theory you should easily be able to set it to a max distance so incase of a flyaway at least it may limit it from going outside of this zone. Altitude limits are a good thing too as not everyone wants to go to the moon and its not easy to judge altitude without OSD. Thes are all user adjustable so no need to be concerned and simply set them to limits you are comfortable with and it will give one more added safety feature to it.

First flight I will try small limits to test this feature out maybe 30m on both settings, it also has settings for the bluetooth unit and I will soon be getting the mini OSD from DJI along with a futaba radio.

martcerv said:
I just updated my old Phantom with v4.0 firmware, I needed to download v2.18 assistant first. I have no PMUv2 and so my NAZA is definitely v1, I also downloaded the default paramaters and have done an advanced calibration. There is a menu option for altitude and radius within assistant, I will go for a test fly soon and either post success or start another flyaway thread. :lol:
Best of luck!!

On every hijacked FB post, DJI wants people who've had flyaways to tell thme their versions and when they last did a cal. If you want something of an insurance policy (but no guarantee of the value), you could take some screenshots as proof. That said, we shouldn't be beta testing FW!!

I do like the distance limits and having these user adjustable is a good thing, In theory you should easily be able to set it to a max distance so incase of a flyaway at least it may limit it from going outside of this zone. Altitude limits are a good thing too as not everyone wants to go to the moon and its not easy to judge altitude without OSD. Thes are all user adjustable so no need to be concerned and simply set them to limits you are comfortable with and it will give one more added safety feature to it.

It's nice to be able to lock yourself in below 400ft! Looking forward to seeing the results ... maybe a GoPro-less flight is in order! On the upside, We should be eligible for the voucher towards a Phantom II, and what better reason to get one ...

It wont necessarily help "real" flyaways - if the FCS still had GPS and control over the craft, it shouldn't have gone astray in the first place. It will help some operator driven ones ... such as accidentally switching from GPS to ATTI, going up high and a fair way away, then panicking because Home Lock doesn't work, and watching it slowly sail away for a couple of minutes until you finally re-orient yourself and manage to bring it home.

4nr1.jpg

nka8.jpg

This is a public release firmware so I am sure that it has had some internal beta testing already so I am not taking as big a risk as some may think, maybe a little sarcasm in it as I have updated with each update and done hundreds of flights with no issues. I also tend to push the little bugger harder then most though as can be in my screen grab, my first test flight will not be pushing very hard.

I assume these limits dont apply in manual mode so will first try GPS then ATTI and manual modes. I assume the first 2 will stay within these boundaries but manual will do whatever I want. I wonder if when switching from manual to GPS or ATTI if it will automatically fly itself back into the pre set limits or maybe just fly to china.

Scrub what I said about not being a beta tester as I think I found a pretty major bug with the new firmware. I had it set at 30m and 30m which it easily stayed inside, the issue is when I got to the point where it was on its distance limit I couldnt bring it back. No matter which way I rotated it I dint have much control of the phantom and only sometimes I could bring it back by reversing it. If I got to its distance limit then rotated back towards me it would not respond almost as if its stuck at that point.'

Going into manual modeI could go beyond these limits and at the boundary could easily fly it back. Going outside the boundary in manual mode then switching the ATTI or GPS modes would automatically bring it back to the perimiter thats preset which is pretty cool. But again I had no control at this point, I didnt try IOC home lock mode but this could be a pretty big issue if you have it set a fair distance away and have trouble regaining control. I did have a couple cameras one on the phantom and another on the radio looking at the phantom so will see if this captured this quite well.

I guess everyone should test this for themselves or set limits well beyond what they want to fly until someone finds a way to easily regain control without needing manual mode. I will try IOC modes next time but completely forgot to try this on the first flight.

I just checked their demo video and in their test it looks like they let go of the sticks when at the distance limit and it comes back, I didnt try that either as I tried to fly it back. This may be the method needed but other then seeing the video I wouldn't have thought of this. Time for test flight number 2 and I will set it to 10 by 10m and try again.

Took another test flight, set at 10x10m and found that you need to let go of the sticks and let it come back inside the distance to regain control. Anyone setting limits with this new firmware I suggest set it at 10x10m and have a test fly just to get used to the new behavior.

This time in manual mode I noticed it still had altitude limits and so made it very awkward to fly in manual as the throttle would be cutting when at the height limit, I also lost control in manual when flying away about 80m or so. Not sure if it reverted to ATTI mode but it was still pitching at quite an angle but not really responding to control inputs outside my preset distance. Switching to either ATTI or GPS mode makes it come straight back into the preset distance area. But best to let go of the sticks and let it do its own thing maybe adjust altitude if needed.

Overall I think this is a good new feature but something everyone should try at close range first to get the hang of how it works and how long it takes to regain control.

One more thing I noticed in the new firmware is the motor test function, within NAZA assistant in the mixer settings section you can click motor test. Here you can select any motor and it will do a short sin up about 1 revolution I think, this is good for those that have replaced motors or made any major changes inside requiring soldering. You can spin them up 1 at a time and make sure they are all ok and going the correct rotation.

Well worth checking this video to see how all the new features work, I should have watched it before my first test flight but figured Id just read any info they have but there is more in the video then there is written that I saw. There was no v4.0 firmware manual up at the time I updated mine, main thing to watch is the 10m test how you let go of the sticks and it will come back before you can regain control.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEnq47YceQ8[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl