N00b Needs help charging LiPo batteries

Reaction score
Hello. I need help please. I recently got a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 and have seen that people usually charge their LiPo batteries in about an hour and a half...Im wondering what I am doing WRONG that it takes well over 8 hours for me to charge mine. I have the charger that came with the P1 and I do put it in LiPo and 3A. I follow instructions on how to connect them to the T and still it takes about 8 hours to charge the OEM P1 battery. Please help? I am not using an extension its direct to the wall charger. Thanx

How long is your flight time? Welcome to the forum!

If you only have one battery its hard to figure. Get another battery and you'll know right away. I'm betting bad battery. Be carefull they are dangerous. You read the manual a couple three times times right?

I bought a brand new battery a 2700 mAh and it also takes a long time to charge. I have read the manual on how to charge it plenty just to make sure I am plugging everything correct. I have even plugged it in to different outlets in my house to see if I have faulty outlets. Even the new batteries take a long time. What is the best setting? 1A/2A/3A? thanx again

I charge mine at 2a. takes about an hour and a half. have you installed the assistant software and driver? that will tell you everything you need to know about the battery settings. consider a decent charger like an Imax B6AC pro. Don't be in a hurry, there is a steep learning curve. Where are you located?

I charge mine at 2a. takes about an hour and a half. have you installed the assistant software and driver? that will tell you everything you need to know about the battery settings. consider a decent charger like an Imax B6AC pro. Don't be in a hurry, there is a steep learning curve. Where are you located?

Ill try leaving it on 2A and getting a better charger. Ill check online for that one. I have installed the software and driver, Ill check that out, thanx. I am from Souther California. I want to be able to learn as much as possible since I am planning on taking my Phantom on vacation with me to Mexico to get some nice aerial photos and video. Ive been practicing with it to become familiar with the quadcopter. Thank you for your help

Let know how it is resolved. Looking forward to the photos and vid!

Hello. I need help please. I recently got a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 and have seen that people usually charge their LiPo batteries in about an hour and a half...Im wondering what I am doing WRONG that it takes well over 8 hours for me to charge mine. I have the charger that came with the P1 and I do put it in LiPo and 3A. I follow instructions on how to connect them to the T and still it takes about 8 hours to charge the OEM P1 battery. Please help? I am not using an extension its direct to the wall charger. Thanx

How are the charger LEDs when you connect both the balance and the main battery cables? You should have the 1S-2S-3S and the Charge status LED steady red,
The left switch should be on LIPO and the right does not matter(1a or 2a are normally to be used for Phantom 1 Lipos; 3A is unuseful with 3S batteries, because anyway the current is limited by the 20W max capability of the charger at about 1.8A and even less when the battery voltage increases).
If they are not steady red, check the main cable integrity(the red/black cable with jack at one side and XT60 male connector on the other): if it is broken, you are charging the battery through the balance cable, but in this case the current is limited and this could explain the very long time to charge.

My batteries took 8 hours each the first time through but much shorter after that.

When your batteries are taking a very long time my assumption is that you get the alternating Green/Red flash after a relatively short space of time (< 2 hours) and will see one of the red LEDs showing differently to the others. This means it is balancing the cells which is done by discharging the cells that have reached 4.2 and then recharging all three until they all reach full, and that takes a while.

After flying measure the voltage of each cell by using a multi meter on the balance port (black and 1, then 2 then 3) and if one cell is significantly different than the others then the battery may be a dud. Using one of those cheap lipo warning beepers that has an LED readout will give you that info too.

You might also want to look at buying a better charger that has a display so that you can see the charge state of each cell.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl