My first real flight...success!

Reaction score
My first real flight---success! With all the talk about flyways here, here's a post about one that did come back… LOL… This time…

The plan : fly off the top of my parking garage 1/2 mile due north and returning using RTH. Temp: 78 Wind 16, sunny

Some observations.... I read the manual twice and watched every video that Tom's tech time can do. And about another hundred videos or so… Lol
I've gone low circuits and gone straight up and looked around, but this is the first time that I let it really get completely on its own.

-Flew line of sight , but it was a speck at 3/8 mile out!
-Visibility through the iPad mini good, was able to ascertain easily of my local position. I feel much more comfortable realizing that when it is far out I can see everything I need on the mini iPad.
-Indicator of your attitude on the app is very helpful
-Went out at more than enough altitude (150 feet) to clear everything down in my neck of the woods
-Return to home (RTH) at 1250 yards worked flawlessly, even in the 15 mile an hour wind. Able to cancel 15 feet off the deck and hand grab ....so easy.

So I didn't get confused with directions and sticks, I used the following "fly procedure":

1st, Pointing the aircraft to where you want to go and then using the forward stick is a real easy way to fly. Then to get back while you're learning, turn the craft 180° looking at the through the camera, and again push the stack forward to come back. You don't get lost or confused because there's so much going on, and you don't have to think. Stop and take a look around every 30 seconds…

Nice day to fly....

Last edited:
Congratulations and happy new year

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's great. I had mine up for its maiden voyage a couple days ago. I flew some simulator trials and then got up enough nerve to take it out. I am hooked...LOL
0ba17f2d21cb9fb45d70887a7ff687bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: mzim and tjshelton
That's great news Glen, glad you had a nice flight. These phantoms are the best I've ever flown. Happy New Years, and fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

Thanks all, it really is much easier than you think when you're starting out, and doing all the reading and surfing here…it took me a full week of flying every day to finally get up and make this step, slow learning works for me.

Thanks all, it really is much easier than you think when you're starting out, and doing all the reading and surfing here…it took me a full week of flying every day to finally get up and make this step, slow learning works for me.
Be prepared to be laying in bed thinking about your next flight location. Google earth and street view really helps with planning. Airmap.com also help you stay out of NFZs. These are two tools I use all the time for planning purposes. You have some target rich areas along the keys for weekend trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: cstout
lol... i did the same thing too when it came to reading the manual and watching Tom's tech time. I felt a lot more at ease after flying it a couple of times.

I think the histogram is a visual representation of camera exposure across the entire range of the metered scene. I don't think histogram has anything to do with anything else.

Cheers

Well, whatever is in the lower left part of the screen that is the icon tells your which way you're pointing Is what I'm talking about. Very handy.

You might want to do a compass and an RC calibration. That should help with the jitters. Also make sure you have a good number of GPS satellites before you start your videos.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app
i did a compass but what is an RC calibration? I take it is the Radio Control. I will have to search that one..LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3