My first flyaway !

knuckles said:
wow, thankfully you had that tracker that no doubt paid off.

Any clues as to what caused this to happen?
+1 on questions.

Makes one wonder when will it happen.........?????
Maybe never.
I don't have to worry about it. No fly weather here until Spring.

dirkclod said:
The only think I had done was move the tracker strap which is metal to the top of the leg with the compass . I have it Velcro under my Battery today and just use the little metal wire as a back up to hold it on and is usually on the other leg.

Did you recalibrate the compass after moving the tracker? Putting a ferromagnetic material near the compass is generally a bad idea. The TX/RX in the tracker can potentially cause issues for the compass as well.

However, without video, this is just speculation.

dirkclod said:
No I just set homepoint like I always do but will from now on ! What I do before I fly off is check S2 down right stick back to see if it comes back then RTH to see if it comes back then if alls good I go . But I had changed the tracker position and put the little wire on the wrong leg . Would you think I need to do the magnet deal or just recalibrate the compass as usual ?

When the compass gets bad data, it's not often immediately noticeable. I don't know why. There are a bunch of fly aways where someone took off from a ferromagnetic surface like granite, all seemed fine for a number of minutes and then the telltale indications of compass induced TBE and loss of control ensue.

I'd suggest you move the tracker to another location, recalibrate the compass and then check the mod value just to be safe.

Hey there dirkclod. .I can't believe your bird flew the coup. .was going to mention getting a locator 8.. they're great.. I'll have mine on board with my tracker if I ever get it going. .haha..

:eek:
I've done that too!
Glad you got your bird back Dirkclod!
What could have happened to cause the erratic behavior?

Wow, close one. Lucky!

I don't have a tracker because where I fly, there is no GSM range anyway... :)

dirkclod said:
Had just about got it back together and had to fight those dampners to get it back together and when I set it down to admire my handy work this is what I saw :roll: Allrighty then :cry: It didn't fly away it run away !

How did you do your "If Found" lettering ?

Re: Odp: My first flyaway !

dirkclod said:
un hombre said:
Wow, close one. Lucky!

A lot of trackers work off GPS too as the one I have ;)

Yes but how will you activate it if you can't send sms or call it? :D

un hombre said:

That is why I use a superior tracking device like the Flytrex Live --- it will automatically upload last known GPS position to the Flytrex data center in Israel --- then all you have to do is login to your Flytrex account on any Internet device and click the "Last Seen" page to find out where your downed bird is located (accurate to within +/- 10 meters).

No need to "call in" to your tracker and worry about it whether it's in a good GSM reception area. :p

MadMitch88 said:
un hombre said:

That is why I use a superior tracking device like the Flytrex Live --- it will automatically upload last known GPS position to the Flytrex data center in Israel --- then all you have to do is login to your Flytrex account on any Internet device and click the "Last Seen" page to find out where your downed bird is located (accurate to within +/- 10 meters).

No need to "call in" to your tracker and worry about it whether it's in a good GSM reception area. :p

Doesn't it need a cellular data connection for it to upload to flytrex?

un hombre said:
Wow, close one. Lucky!

I have the same problem.

Flytrex uses the same 2G/3G networks as Dirkclod's tracker does. Though the tracker may only be 2.5G which depending on where you live can make a big difference.

The Flytrex has an advantage that it will post the data to the cloud whereas the tracker is point to point and must be still connected to return a position when requested. Either way, your Flytrex/tracker needs a connection with a mobile network at some point during or after the flyaway to be useful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel