High pitched whine from motor.

Reaction score
Phantom 3 Standard...
Here is what I am noticing. I do my rotor spin up and one rotor looks like it's spinning slower than the rest. No real biggie as it takes off level. As I spool up to take off I hear what sounds like a bearing squealing. Is there a test to see if this might cause a flight risk or in flight failure?

Your finger are the testing instrument.
Slowly spin each motor(do this with props on and props off)and track what each one is doing and any sound they make.
If the one in question is showing a variation from the other three, you should investigate further. If it is a bearing, once they start sending signals via your ears, the total failure can be at any time past that.

You definitely are taking a chance continuing to fly the UAV with a known motor issue. It’s not a question of “if” but “when” it’s going to fail.

Your test is anything unusual. The motor whining is the first sign. Your second sign would be the motor screaming at you or seizing after 20 min of flight. Bearings are not hard to replace or motors to buy. Fix before you fly or your bird might die.

Phantom 3 Standard...
Here is what I am noticing. I do my rotor spin up and one rotor looks like it's spinning slower than the rest. No real biggie as it takes off level. As I spool up to take off I hear what sounds like a bearing squealing. Is there a test to see if this might cause a flight risk or in flight failure?
As for the props spinning at different speeds at idle, I noticed that this happens if the drone is not on a level surface as if it were trying to correct it's pitch and yaw.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl