Motor Upgrade, how to?

probably because it's pretty straightforward
take shell apart,. unscrew the 4 bolts holding the motor in
solder or splice new motor wires to existing wires.

why doing a new motor upgrade?

I've been looking into a motor upgrade and went to the place where I bought my Phantom from for motors.
They had swapped the standard motors for another sort (I couldn't tell make or model)... but they said they had been having issues of the Phantom randomly flipping upsidedown.

Based on that I'm waiting a little while before I upgrade my motors.

But I was going to go for the Torxpower 2216 Pro Short Shaft Brushless Motor 900KV, http://quadcopters.co.uk/torxpower-2216-pro-short-shaft-brushless-motor-900kv-330-p.asp

Interested to know how you get on.

I have ordered upgrade motors for my Phantom, because DJI quality control is terrible. The prop shafts are different sizes on
all 4 motors.
I have a little over 1 hour flight time, and the bearings have gone out on one motor.
I plan on running 9' carbon fiber props, and the Phantom is starting to get heavy with the GoPro, gimbal, and it will have an
fpv system, with osd.

I am getting T-motor MN2214 anti-gravity motors , which are claiming a 10% increase in power and 8% more efficient.
I've already pulled the original motors out, just waiting on the new ones.

Audaciter said:
I have ordered upgrade motors for my Phantom, because DJI quality control is terrible. The prop shafts are different sizes on
all 4 motors.
I have a little over 1 hour flight time, and the bearings have gone out on one motor.
I plan on running 9' carbon fiber props, and the Phantom is starting to get heavy with the GoPro, gimbal, and it will have an
fpv system, with osd.

I am getting T-motor MN2214 anti-gravity motors , which are claiming a 10% increase in power and 8% more efficient.

What do you mean by The prop shafts are different sizes on ? Length, diameter or ???
I have been flying with stock motors and many different kinds of props from 8x5 to 10x3.8 for several months logging in over 100 flights with no motor issue. I do lubricate and clean my motors though. My AUW is 1200 grams.

tanasit, I mean the shaft that the props mount to are all different thicknesses. I confirmed it with dial calipers.

Some owners are lucky and get good quality motors, with tight specs, and others got the "night shift" variety.
I'm not complaining, even though I only got a little over 1 hour of flight time over a manicured grass field, before the bearings
went out on one motor.
You know there is a problem when sellers on eBay are selling Phantom motor rebuild kits, and bearings.

Anyway, like I said previously, my Phantom is going to be heavy so I am upgrading to the T-Motor anti-gravity motors, and
running 9" carbon fiber props.

Audaciter said:
tanasit, I mean the shaft that the props mount to are all different thicknesses. I confirmed it with dial calipers.

Some owners are lucky and get good quality motors, with tight specs, and others got the "night shift" variety.
I'm not complaining, even though I only got a little over 1 hour of flight time over a manicured grass field, before the bearings
went out on one motor.
You know there is a problem when sellers on eBay are selling Phantom motor rebuild kits, and bearings.

Anyway, like I said previously, my Phantom is going to be heavy so I am upgrading to the T-Motor anti-gravity motors, and
running 9" carbon fiber props.

Same route im going already got my motors. Just want to find that bullette connector

Appleboy, What you want are 3.5mm male and female connectors. You can find them at a hobby shop, but will pay too
much.
Order at least a couple of 10 packs, as you will need 12. Watch a video on youtube on how to solder the bullet connectors.
Be sure to use flux on everything.

From what I've read on Facebook the ESC has to be compatible with the motor. Someone tried the Sunnysky 2212 kv980 motors.
He got a couple extra minutes flight time out of a battery. They come pre-balanced, and I've seen them on Ebay for as little as 16 bucks a piece.

Audaciter said:
Appleboy, What you want are 3.5mm male and female connectors. You can find them at a hobby shop, but will pay too
much.
Order at least a couple of 10 packs, as you will need 12. Watch a video on youtube on how to solder the bullet connectors.
Be sure to use flux on everything.

Thank you. Know any website that sell them?

The trouble of using bullet connectors on the Phantom, is the extremely tight space under the shell. Plus you have the shell
mounting post through the ESC, with a metal plate in the shell to run the screw into.
Trying to get the wires bent with bullet connectors would be a major pain in the butt.

Also when you fill the solder cups on the connectors, the combined weight is incredible.
Do yourself a favor, and either solder your wires to the ends of the ones coming off the ESC, or de-solder those leads,
and install your motor wires directly to the ESC. After checking motor spinning direction of course.

P.S If you solder your motor leads directly to the ESC, install them straight up off the board like the factory does.
I tried to get fancy, and have my wires lay flat, and my ESC caught fire when I armed the motors.
(Learn from my mistakes grasshopper).

Audaciter said:
The trouble of using bullet connectors on the Phantom, is the extremely tight space under the shell. Plus you have the shell
mounting post through the ESC, with a metal plate in the shell to run the screw into.
Trying to get the wires bent with bullet connectors would be a major pain in the butt.

Also when you fill the solder cups on the connectors, the combined weight is incredible.
Do yourself a favor, and either solder your wires to the ends of the ones coming off the ESC, or de-solder those leads,
and install your motor wires directly to the ESC. After checking motor spinning direction of course.

P.S If you solder your motor leads directly to the ESC, install them straight up off the board like the factory does.
I tried to get fancy, and have my wires lay flat, and my ESC caught fire when I armed the motors.
(Learn from my mistakes grasshopper).

Thank you very much for this info. Glad I asked on here

I stripped the threads one of my stock motors. Had to put a new one in (DONT GET WASTED BEFORE YOU WORK ON YOUR CRAFT). If you use the correct method you can remove most of the old solder on the ESC then put the new wires directly on to it.. I read in a previous post to watch youtube vid and I agree. If you dont know what your doing watch a video. Rule of thumb,, Everything must be done fast so you dont over heat the ESC itself. Make sure your iron is at full heat before trying anything. If you are not sure what full heat is leave it on for 15 or so minutes. ALWAYS make sure to use Rosin core solder.

I actually used the red DJI replacement motor (same specs as the stock) and it works flawless. Did make me look a bit funny though. One red and three silver motors.. I like the red ones soo much I bought more and one day when I feel like pulling the screws off the shell again I will replace the rest for an afternoon exercise.

all 4 motors.
fpv system, with osd.

I had the same problem with one of my motor s going out with less than 10hours flying time on it the bearing went out

I'm looking to upgrade my motors and would love some feedback on what motors are the best and not too costly for speed and power increases

I'm looking to upgrade my motors and would love some feedback on what motors are the best and not too costly for speed and power increases
Which AC? If it’s a phantom 3 the motors will need to have the same specs as OEM or you may need to connect a JTAG debugger to edit the parameters for the onboard MCU in the ESC’s. In any event max speed is determined by pitch angle which is limited by the flight controller, you won’t go faster no matter what you do with the motors.

The a/c performance in speed and such is limited by the MC. You will not experience speed increases from motors or props. The a/c was designed as a camera platform not a racer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl