Motor/Prop Wrench

Sorry to say, but I will never just spin my props on, I use the tool to make sure they are on. Why? Because I have had a prop spin off as I was doing side to side motion. The "Air-Braking" if not reduced by your flying skills will fail.

I hate the metal motor threads to a plastic rotor idea. I might try a suggestion from a user here, to use a "Star-Washer" on all four props, to prevent this miserable bad engineering concept to be sold to us.

Kurt

I can turn mine off with my Fingers.. Holding the motor with one hand and turning the prop with the other.. I had one that was real snug one time and I did use the "wrench" it came with and it works nice.. Taking props on and off isn't gonna make the shell crack.. Tightening the motor screws/bolts too tight will crack it, crashing will crack it.. Or just getting a bad shell from dji from the start will crack it lol

EDIT: I have never tightened my props by hand.. I just spin them on and where they stop they stop.. They will auto tighten as you fly. And I havnt ever had a prop come off on me "knock on wood"

I didn't think you HAD to tighten them by hand.. Some ppl do. It's not gonna hurt anything, just gonna be harder to take off when you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Question.. I know about the self tightening... what concerns me is when the drone is slowing down and using it's "brakes". Doesn't that have tendency to do the opposite as in self loosen ??

Question.. I know about the self tightening... what concerns me is when the drone is slowing down and using it's "brakes". Doesn't that have tendency to do the opposite as in self loosen ??
Its a topic of debate. Many threads, some very long, have been devoted to discussing prop tightening and braking. There has been lots of data and graphs posted to show that props can indeed spin off if not properly tightened before launch. On the flip side, there are many people who insist they are also 100% correct that its not possible for a prop to spin off and that braking does not slow motors but only tilts the P3 the other way. The chats have not always been friendly.

Last edited:
When the P2V was released in late 2013, DJI was almost bragging about how wonderful their self tightening props were. Just spin 'em on! Watch between 10:00 and 11:00

With the P3A release in early 2015, things changed. Not only were the props to be snugged up with two hands, the hub was changed from metal to composite, resulting in more friction and a less-smooth spin during installation.

We all know the acceleration of the motors will naturally tighten the props. But we can't deny that spin-offs do occur.

When the P4 came out, which was an even faster bird but still with active braking, the whole spin-on or self-tightening concept was abandoned.

Metal hubs are still okay to use with the P2V even though the V3 P2V+ went to composite. I've got metal hubs on my P2V right now. But metal hubs are not okay to use with the P3A.

Why?

The P2V doesn't have active braking. The P3A has active braking.

Could it be that there is a relationship between active braking and spin-offs?

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
How this subject can be brought up again and again, and go on for another HUGE thread is beyond me; the wrench it for prop removal because the props get tighter during flight and can be difficult to remove. I've never had the need to use it yet. So there you have it - that's it! And yes it's in the manual. Sheesh!

I really don't think they "auto tighten" nearly enough and that really isn't the issue.

If you make a sudden reversal at speed with your Phantom, the motors also suddenly change direction and that has been the cause of a prop coming off the bird, resulting in a crash.

Bud

I can turn mine off with my Fingers.. Holding the motor with one hand and turning the prop with the other.. I had one that was real snug one time and I did use the "wrench" it came with and it works nice.. Taking props on and off isn't gonna make the shell crack.. Tightening the motor screws/bolts too tight will crack it, crashing will crack it.. Or just getting a bad shell from dji from the start will crack it lol

EDIT: I have never tightened my props by hand.. I just spin them on and where they stop they stop.. They will auto tighten as you fly. And I havnt ever had a prop come off on me "knock on wood"

I didn't think you HAD to tighten them by hand.. Some ppl do. It's not gonna hurt anything, just gonna be harder to take off when you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think they "auto tighten" nearly enough and that really isn't the issue.

If you make a sudden reversal at speed with your Phantom, the motors also suddenly change direction and that has been the cause of a prop coming off the bird, resulting in a crash.

Bud
Ye gods... just tighten them - by hand - before you fly and they won't fly off, no matter what hard manoeuvres you do...

Bud
I doubt that the motors ever 'reverse', that would cause down thrust. They could, however, drastically slow down. Prop momentum could cause them to loosen if they weren't properly tightened to begin with.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164