Motor/Prop Wrench

Reaction score
Do you guys use the white Wrench to help with getting the props on and off? Just curious if not using it might attribute to more stress cracks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

You shouldn't need to use the prop wrench. Try holding the motor with one hand and turning the prop with the other hand. After spinning the prop on and it comes to a stop, you only need to turn it about 1/4 of a turn to hand tighten it. Anything tighter than that could damage your props and/or make it hard to remove them.

No we don't need it unless there is a crash and prop gets stuck.

White tightening use one index finger, similarly while removing hold the motor and unscrew with little force. You don't need heavy torques to unscrew them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Falcon900
I can turn mine off with my Fingers.. Holding the motor with one hand and turning the prop with the other.. I had one that was real snug one time and I did use the "wrench" it came with and it works nice.. Taking props on and off isn't gonna make the shell crack.. Tightening the motor screws/bolts too tight will crack it, crashing will crack it.. Or just getting a bad shell from dji from the start will crack it lol

EDIT: I have never tightened my props by hand.. I just spin them on and where they stop they stop.. They will auto tighten as you fly. And I havnt ever had a prop come off on me "knock on wood"

I didn't think you HAD to tighten them by hand.. Some ppl do. It's not gonna hurt anything, just gonna be harder to take off when you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn't need to use the prop wrench. Try holding the motor with one hand and turning the prop with the other hand. After spinning the prop on and it comes to a stop, you only need to turn it about 1/4 of a turn to hand tighten it. Anything tighter than that could damage your props and/or make it hard to remove them.
Thank you. I never know how tight to tighten them. Don't want to under tighten and a prop flies off, Don't want to over tighten and strip the prop threads. Thanks for the info. I'll use that method.

I can turn mine off with my Fingers.. Holding the motor with one hand and turning the prop with the other.. I had one that was real snug one time and I did use the "wrench" it came with and it works nice.. Taking props on and off isn't gonna make the shell crack.. Tightening the motor screws/bolts too tight will crack it, crashing will crack it.. Or just getting a bad shell from dji from the start will crack it lol

EDIT: I have never tightened my props by hand.. I just spin them on and where they stop they stop.. They will auto tighten as you fly. And I havnt ever had a prop come off on me "knock on wood"

I didn't think you HAD to tighten them by hand.. Some ppl do. It's not gonna hurt anything, just gonna be harder to take off when you do

Yeah when they spin they will tighten. Nice. Good advice.

I appreciate all the answers. I bought a P3A to hold me over until my P4P is swapped. It's been performing flawlessly which I want it to continue doing. These things are alot of fun. I did get a abnormal compass warning today, tried calibrating the compass but didn't fix it. I moved 20 feet down the street and no more warning. Perfect flight after that.

Yeah when they spin they will tighten. Nice. Good advice.
You should hand tighten them about 1/4 of a turn after spinning them on. Just spinning them on and assuming they will tighten during startup could result in the loss of a prop mid-flight.

You should hand tighten them about 1/4 of a turn after spinning them on. Just spinning them on and assuming they will tighten during startup could result in the loss of a prop mid-flight.
Yeah that is what I'm going to do. I will feel alot more comfortable making sure they are on. My problem is I tighten them too much. I need to remember the 1/4th trick.

You gotta learn how to feel it out.. Turn easily and lightly until the turning stops or gets snug, then stop. Don't keep going

Reactions: KingDad1985
Not really.. Unless your REALLY reefing on the thing lol.. All over tight would really do is make it tough to get back off.. Like I said just don't reef on the thing.. Give it just a touch more turn after it has stopped spinning on its own and that will be GOOD.. As I said, I never even tighten it after , I just spin it and when it stops, I go fly.. And havnt had an issue with coming off.. So that being said.. You DO not have to tighten very hard or much at all.. Just lightly snug it up and your good to go

Not really.. Unless your REALLY reefing on the thing lol.. All over tight would really do is make it tough to get back off.. Like I said just don't reef on the thing.. Give it just a touch more turn after it has stopped spinning on its own and that will be GOOD.. As I said, I never even tighten it after , I just spin it and when it stops, I go fly.. And havnt had an issue with coming off.. So that being said.. You DO not have to tighten very hard or much at all.. Just lightly snug it up and your good to go

Right on. Thank you. How many flights/ hours on your P3A/P3P? Not sure which model you have. Just curious?

I use the wrench every time to install and remove the props. My hands are way to big to hold the motors and try to tighten or remove the props. I have been flying for many years and always tighten them down pretty tight then a little more. I have never had problems.

I had to use the wrench for the first time today but it was also the first crash I've ever had!

When i was a beginner i used to over tighten the props with the wrench all the time. After time i noticed a lot of coatingpaint coming off, and staying inside of the propeller hub.
That scared me. I thought i had damaged prop threads at first. Changed a lot of props after that, until i realized what was wrong.
Now, i NEVER use the wrench tool.
What i do is, i rotate them until they stop. After that i do 1/4 snug a tad, as mentioned above and thats it. Coating still appears sometimes in the prop hub, but no issues so far. But i still prefer to change props once every couple of months.
You can find users here that are using the same props since the day one without any issues. But i think its better be safe than sorry.

It would be helpful if DJI removed "self-tightening" from their prop descriptions because it misleads people. You must snug them up firmly, and you must do it not only during first installation but also before each flight. If you don't, you'll be okay for most flights, and you might even give advice to others - assuring them they only need to spin on the props. But eventually fate will catch up to you and your AC will fall. If/When you find it, it'll be a mess of broken plastic and electronics, and it'll have 2-3 broken props - but one motor shaft will be bare. And you'll scratch your head and wonder, "Gosh, this prop is missing, I wonder what happened to it...?"

DCP_7041.jpg

Reactions: t2adze
I use the wrench but like most said on here... I spin the props till it stops then hold the wrench and slightly tighten it. I use it as it makes me look more technical so hopefully a sexy man will see it and say "ooooo that looks important, I must sleep with you"

So far hasn't happened... Which is just as well as I'm not gay and my girlfriend will kill me

Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj