Motor Failure?

Reaction score
I lost my drone in a crash recently. I've uploaded the log files to healthy drones and I can find no anomalies. I was flying back to the home location about 100' high and about 10' offshore of the beach. I had just over 30% battery left and it was only about 1000' away from me. Then it just tumbled out of the sky. It fell in the surf and I never found it.

After watching the video over and over and in slo-mo, it appears to me that the forward right motor failed. The drone started tumbling in that direction and you can see in several frames that the prop does not appear to be turning under power.

I thought I'd post and get input from the community. I am planning on opening a support ticket with DJI and see if they agree that it was a mechanical failure.

Thanks!

More likely an ESC failure or connection than the motor.

The motor has no moving parts other than bearings.

Or maybe you lost a prop?

I tightened the props just before the flight. Also, the prop that's visible in the video is attached through the entire crash sequence.
Right. It's the other three I was wondering about.

Since you don't have the bird, DJI probably won't do anything other than offer you X% off a new bird. Even with the support of this community, there's really no telling what actually happened.

Right. It's the other three I was wondering about.

Since you don't have the bird, DJI probably won't do anything other than offer you X% off a new bird. Even with the support of this community, there's really no telling what actually happened.

It started tumbling to the front right which leads me to conclude the other props were still attached and the motors functioning.

Thanks for your input. I'm opening a ticket with DJI.

Okay. Please let us know how you make out.

I just had an ESC error occur on mine a few days ago. Would not let me arm the motors after trying everything under the sun. Fell from the sky and said satellite off error, motor obstructed. The thing was about 30 ft away when all this happened after about a mile and half trip over the river. No serious damage. Sounds similar. I opened a ticket and have already returned mine, which fortunately was close to home when it happened. DJI acted quick so I was happy. Good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT