More powerfull repeater?

theSelf said:
Noël said:
Guys!! Can you PLEASE stop quoting when the post is still on the same page?
And if really needed REMOVE the pictures?
regardless of whether on the same page or not doesn't 'quoting' inform the person with the original quote that you responded to their specific post in order to get a reply or is that only an rcgroups and other forums thing?

Quoting is helpful to know who you are talking to, BUT, please remove picture links as that does just flood the thread with redundant huge images.

So of all the tests with multiple antenna types both on the TX and the PV2 for WiFi video only, is there a general consensus for a preferable setup that is lightweight and not to cumbersome yet provides decent reliable distance equal to that of the stock 5.8 ghz range, or at least 2800 ft.? Just curious if I should go the omni road on both pv2 and TX, or directional road, or even a Docooler option.

Re: R: More powerfull repeater?

HaM-73 said:
So of all the tests with multiple antenna types both on the TX and the PV2 for WiFi video only, is there a general consensus for a preferable setup that is lightweight and not to cumbersome yet provides decent reliable distance equal to that of the stock 5.8 ghz range, or at least 2800 ft.? Just curious if I should go the omni road on both pv2 and TX, or directional road, or even a Docooler option.

As for my first tests seems the WiFi video does not improve so much with the new antenna.will let you know more on weekend guys. Higher the gain of the antenna more "directional" it becomes.is that right? What I'm noticing is that I''ve to take care of where the antenna is pointed to during the flight and change frequently its direction.

max.bex said:
HaM-73 said:

As for my first tests seems the WiFi video does not improve so much with the new antenna.will let you know more on weekend guys. Higher the gain of the antenna more "directional" it becomes.is that right? What I'm noticing is that I''ve to take care of where the antenna is pointed to during the flight and change frequently its direction.

Myself and many others have had a pretty dramatic improvement I'm both WiFi range and reliability by simply adding a 5 or 8dbi omni antenna to the WiFi repeater. A higher gain antenna doesn't make it more directional, it either is or isn't . I recently changed out the camera antennas and found I could get even further distances while sacrafacing some of the shorter range reliability when panning around in any direction. That's using a dual omni setup tho different antenna combinations will likely improve that.

BenDronePilot said:
max.bex said:
HaM-73 said:

Myself and many others have had a pretty dramatic improvement I'm both WiFi range and reliability by simply adding a 5 or 8dbi omni antenna to the WiFi repeater. A higher gain antenna doesn't make it more directional, it either is or isn't . I recently changed out the camera antennas and found I could get even further distances while sacrafacing some of the shorter range reliability when panning around in any direction. That's using a dual omni setup tho different antenna combinations will likely improve that.

That is the way I have been leaning (Omni) rather than directional, although I do have a 14dbi directional I may test as well. Seems like a omni would just be a lot quicker and easier to deal with as long as it has a capable distance.

Found these LHCP helical antennas- http://www.antennaexperts.in/model-detail.asp?RecID=60

http://www.antennaexperts.in/product-de ... enna&id=17

don't know how reliable this company is - but if we could get a LHCP helical like this on the repeater only, will save having to add an antenna to the p2v camera/vtx, for optimal range..(since of course the stock p2v camera/vtx antennas are LHCP and because of the lack of LHCP antennas out there and an abundance of RHCP, to keep the match in direction of polarization when getting a helical antenna and only coming normally in RHCP, p2v camera/vtx antennas have needed to be changed to RHCP, but this may help avoid having to do that- I'd prefer not to have to add an antenna to the p2v as well because of added weight, drag, time to install and cost)

anyone think this LHCP helical could well well?

Yes you are right but if I'm not mistaken I can use this 5.8 helical on the 2.4 wifi repeater and just loose a little dbi

theSelf said:
Found these LHCP helical antennas- http://www.antennaexperts.in/model-detail.asp?RecID=60

don't know how reliable this company is - but if we could get a LHCP helical like this on the repeater only, will save having to add an antenna to the p2v camera/vtx, for optimal range..(since of course the stock p2v camera/vtx antennas are LHCP and because of the lack of LHCP antennas out there and an abundance of RHCP, to keep the match in direction of polarization when getting a helical antenna and only coming normally in RHCP, p2v camera/vtx antennas have needed to be changed to RHCP, but this may help avoid having to do that- I'd prefer not to have to add an antenna to the p2v as well because of added weight, drag, time to install and cost)

you are right amigo, i will search and search and i found this, and looks good quality, so i let you know,

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/blackhawk-2-4-ghz-helical-lhcp-heavy-duty-version/

mr_3_0_5 said:
Have any of you tried the little 11 dbi panel on the repeater ? If so what we're your results
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-5-8GHz- ... 5660cfb6c1
I've been using that one since December and have been very happy with it. Gotta keep it pointed at the Vision for it to do its job but you get used to it. It's crappy construction inside but seems to do the job, dunno may be luck of the draw. Looking for something more solid but haven't found it yet. I also have the RF-Links microAmp but don't really need it at this stage, still working on improving wifi FPV link first.

iDrone

Guess we're all in the same boat
I'm still learning as we'll
I figured if the little patch antenna worked so well on the 5.8!side why wouldn't it work for the wifi side
Can someone please try it on the repeater and see what it does

Just Curious. Has anybody tried keeping the repeater stock and only adding an Omni to the P2V camera, to see what kind of range that would produce?

I want to Thank everyone who has posted to this forum!! I have learned more then I could by reading any book. I just finished my second complete reading of every post and have printed many posts and recommendations for future reference. I have purchased several antennas that I plan on installing as soon as the weather here in Ohio becomes suitable for flying.

But I still have a question that I can't understand. For those of you who fly out over 1,000 feet - how are you able to still see the P2V? On your return flight are you using Failsafe or Homelock or FPV? It appears that everyone is going up several hundred feet and then going forward until you loose video but how are you getting your P2V back home?

Thanks Again everyone. I've never been on a forum with such a diverse group of people from every part of this earth. Someday I'll probably look up and see one of you fly by on one of your long range tests.

MTNestr said:
I want to Thank everyone who has posted to this forum!! I have learned more then I could by reading any book. I just finished my second complete reading of every post and have printed many posts and recommendations for future reference. I have purchased several antennas that I plan on installing as soon as the weather here in Ohio becomes suitable for flying.

But I still have a question that I can't understand. For those of you who fly out over 1,000 feet - how are you able to still see the P2V? On your return flight are you using Failsafe or Homelock or FPV? It appears that everyone is going up several hundred feet and then going forward until you loose video but how are you getting your P2V back home?

Thanks Again everyone. I've never been on a forum with such a diverse group of people from every part of this earth. Someday I'll probably look up and see one of you fly by on one of your long range tests.

If I still have FPV and know my orrientation, I use that to head home.
If I'm disorientated or don't have FPV, I use Radar.
If Wifi is lost, I switch to home lock and pull back on the stick.
If after a minute or so of home lock / pull back I still have no wifi, I engage RTH.

MTNestr said:

lmao! i flew 2831 feet (863 m) in a straight line forward when i lost my signal, and then i just took the same road backwards. Now i know how far i can go.. So hopefully i wont lose the signal, but probably i will use failsafe when it happens :roll:

MTNestr said:

I did one test flight with an 8dBi omni where I flew out a bit over 2000' and then flew back. No glitches at all, just turned around and flew back at full speed on FPV. Amazingly, I could still see the Phantom. I had planned out the flight so that the sun was nearly behind me, and I flew at about 200', high enough so that it was against the sky. It was a (tiny) white dot! Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3id13RJlk - max distance around 3:45.

Now I've got a directional to try and have added a second pigtail to the repeater so will see how well that does when I get my new camera on Monday.

theSelf said:

Wow- got a quote back from this company and this is what they wrote-

Our price quote for 2.4GHz LHCP helical antenna is US$450 each.
Minimum order quantity is 2 units.
Estimated FedEx shipping cost for 2 units is US$150

that's ridiculous- a 'no go' for me

the other 'horizonfpvantennas.com ones look much more promising and affordable

Blackhawk 2.4 GHz Helical (LHCP) Heavy duty version
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... y-version/

and

2.4 GHz Helical (LHCP) short lightweight version
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... t-version/

though shipping to the US is fairly pricey

Recent Posts

Members online