More powerfull repeater?

themosttoys said:
Glockindahaus said:
:D No worries. I suspect thats not the first mistake Ive made and will make when it comes to the distance calculations. My "goal" is to do approximately 1 Mile. From where I was standing it's pretty much a striaght shot (as the bird flys) to a point the the Bay trail where (according to Google maps) I will hit the 1 Mile mark. I have homes on my left which Im sure are putting out a fair amount of Wireless congestion, so it may not be possible there.. Will see!

A mile is not a problem, but in my experience you will need to add antenna(s) to the P2V camera. With the right repeater setup you might be able to do it with stock camera, but (my experience) will need to fly sideways (with an antenna pointing directly at your ground station.)
You will also be right at the edge of (again my experience, 1.1miles) the TX range, so you will need to at a minimum change that antenna too.
For the repeater, you will be just beyond what I get using 5dbi whip on P2V camera and a 9dbi omni on the repeater, but within range of a 12dbi or 14dbi directional on the repeater.
If none of that works in your environment, you may need to amplify.

Your goal is achievable. Have fun.

Do you have photos and part descriptions of your mods to the camera antenna setup?

Glockindahaus said:
themosttoys said:
Glockindahaus said:
:D No worries. I suspect thats not the first mistake Ive made and will make when it comes to the distance calculations. My "goal" is to do approximately 1 Mile. From where I was standing it's pretty much a striaght shot (as the bird flys) to a point the the Bay trail where (according to Google maps) I will hit the 1 Mile mark. I have homes on my left which Im sure are putting out a fair amount of Wireless congestion, so it may not be possible there.. Will see!

A mile is not a problem, but in my experience you will need to add antenna(s) to the P2V camera. With the right repeater setup you might be able to do it with stock camera, but (my experience) will need to fly sideways (with an antenna pointing directly at your ground station.)
You will also be right at the edge of (again my experience, 1.1miles) the TX range, so you will need to at a minimum change that antenna too.
For the repeater, you will be just beyond what I get using 5dbi whip on P2V camera and a 9dbi omni on the repeater, but within range of a 12dbi or 14dbi directional on the repeater.
If none of that works in your environment, you may need to amplify.

Your goal is achievable. Have fun.

Do you have photos and part descriptions of your mods to the camera antenna setup?

I change my setup often, but if you search my posts you will find pictures and parts.

themosttoys said:
Glockindahaus said:

I change my setup often, but if you search my posts you will find pictures and parts.

Since this thread is "More powerful repeater" and there was no one place to put P2V mods, I created a new thread with some pictures: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7448

Happy flying.

One of the great things about this forum is that newbies like me can benefit from other people's experience :) Hopefully I'll be able to give people the benefit of my own experience soon.

I'm going to get some kit to extend the FPV, and thought I'd see what those with greater experience think of this kit. Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome :)

Rather then upgrade the stock repeater, I thought I'd use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARGtek-Wirele ... 0738277852

I would replace the outer antennas with two of these (yes, they are 1.2m long!):

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/ ... 2412D#over

And I would replace the central antenna with this:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/ ... L-ANT2414A

At the moment I'm thinking that this will give plenty of range without messing around with amplifiers. I might upgrade the antennas on the PV camera too, but I'll follow the new thread that themosttoys has introduced for advice about that.

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Finally got to try out my new antennas. First flight was with a 5dBi omni on the repeater and stock camera/TX. I flew to a little over 1500' away with no loss of signal, then up to not quite 1500' but lost signal and triggered RTH. Grabbed control back quickly though.

Second flight was with a 8dBi omni and it was better. I flew to 2072' @ 200' and never lost signal. Testing altitude I found it sensitive to antenna position and lost wifi a few times, and triggered RTH a couple of times. This was at 1600 to a little over 1700' high. I don't see a need to fly high like that, but the horizontal range is awesome and very useful. With the stock setup at this area I had been able to fly to about 1150' out and 1100' up, but with occasional loss of signal.

Here's a Dashware/Flytrex video of the 2072' distance run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3id13RJlk

I was surprised that I could still see the P2V at that distance. Perfect conditions though. Also there is very little interference at this site - there was one very weak wifi network visible at take-off.

Anyway, I am impressed and happy about the extra range. The mod to the repeater was the standard one described here a bunch of times. Pretty easy and cheap. I did drill a second hole in the repeater while I had the PCB out - and I do have a second pig tail cable...maybe I should try it with both antennas. Could position them perpendicular to each other and I wonder if that would be even better.

But I will be out of action for a week+ again since All e RC (my dealer through Amazon) finally has cameras in stock again so mine is going back a second time on Monday to see if I can get one that's actually in focus across the whole image.

zmb said:
ive used only the 9db tp-link antenna and the 2nd phone holder as an all-in-one-1km-distance-mod.
so.. from what im reading here so far, its the best mod with the best results. it light /cheap / easy to install.
no additional amplifiers, long weird antennas or other ugly enhancements :)

i very happy with this setting, its totally enough range for me :)

I went with this same TP Link 9db Directional. I had some 'extra' GoPro mounts laying around so I was able to connect everything without getting another phone clip. Here are some pics. I used a GoPro tripod mount($4.50 on ebay) so I can mount the antenna to the TX using the original range extender holder. Then I used one of the sticky mounts to mount the original range extender to the back of the antenna. Easily removed for charging. I haven't tried the range yet but the OP got over 900 meters and that is waaay farther than I will ever fly...lol...

2yxhfg6.jpg

2vijog2.jpg

no7nev.jpg

14v3ceb.jpg

24njr7b.jpg

i have everything on order I was just wondering if anyone has run a 8 dbi on the repeater and 5 dbi on the bird and what type of numbers that produced?

Just to give an update. I went out and flew yesterday and this time I flew my PV2 using the TP-link TL-ANT2408CL 2.4 8dBi Omni directional Antenna and I reached 2500'. I would lose FPV and get it back at about 1200'. I probably could have flown it even further, but once that dot in the sky could no longer be seen, it was time to bring it back and I was happy with the results . Now I just need to make the camera mod.

I am happy with 2500"+ but to fly even further without FPV isn't worth it to me unless I can enjoy the experience by having FPV but it's nice to see people expanding upon the Phantom's capabilities.

Camera mod next!

I tried 37cm long 9dBi Omni Antenna on my PV2, of course you need to make some modification (not difficult but pls be careful^^)........I can go 1300M+ (4000ft+) but the 5.8G control can't let me go further ><".

Attachments

• 20140202_123823.jpg
    20140202_123823.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 418
audis200 said:
I tried 37cm long 9dBi Omni Antenna on my PV2, of course you need to make some modification (not difficult but pls be careful^^)........I can go 1300M+ (4000ft+) but the 5.8G control can't let me go further ><".

Creative. Problem is that if the antenna is not vertical you will have dead spots (at range) when the tip or base of the antenna is pointing at you (aka, you are likely to lose connection when you pan / yaw.) As always, if it works for you, great. Happy flying.

themosttoys said:
audis200 said:
Creative with ugly appearance, hahaha..........i know your mean and i tried it several times , found that it is ok so far. Anyway, thank you your information^_^
Creative. Problem is that if the antenna is not vertical you will have dead spots (at range) when the tip or base of the antenna is pointing at you (aka, you are likely to lose connection when you pan / yaw.) As always, if it works for you, great. Happy flying.

mr_3_0_5 said:
audia whats the stock looking antenna coming out of your pv2?
It come from my 5.8G control, I used 5dBi 5.8G Omni Antenna instead of stock antenna and using it on my p2v instead of stock wired antenna......it can extend my p2v's control range from 500-800m to over 1km^^

Attachments

• 20140127_005740.jpg
    20140127_005740.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 20140127_010113.jpg
    20140127_010113.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 343
audis2000, your mods are far out, man!

Btw, doesn't it make you wonder why there's not a single flyaways (yet) from ppl doing untested modifications to the control system; while one of the most cited reason for flyaways is 'interference'? :mrgreen:

How did you mount it in there ?
I'd like to mount one for 5.8 and one for 2.4 the same you did

Well I bought a tp link 2414a and it went 3300 ft t 300ft alt....The distance reads n/a at 3300 ft distance so I guess that's the limit of the program It works great...

audis200 said:

Have you tried the spw or cloverleaf on the PV2? I am thinking to put the spw24 on but just worry it will not perform better than stock one. And they are not cheap to buy!

speaktome34 said:
Well I bought a tp link 2414a and it went 3300 ft t 300ft alt....The distance reads n/a at 3300 ft distance so I guess that's the limit of the program It works great...

to confirm the only mod you did was change one of the two antennas on the repeater/VRX to the tp link 14 DBi patch antenna (no other changes to antennas on p2v rc control, p2v's vtx/camera or to the stock 5.8 ghz radio tx antenna and you are still getting 3300ft range and still seeing video and having rc control ? If so- that's good news to me as that is exactly what I have planned (just adding the 2.4Ghz 14dbi patch antenna and possibly making it swappable for 5 or 9dbi whip for more convenient/portability)

how did you mount the (rather large) tp link 14 dbi patch antenna?

Thank you

audis200 said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
audia whats the stock looking antenna coming out of your pv2?
It come from my 5.8G control, I used 5dBi 5.8G Omni Antenna instead of stock antenna and using it on my p2v instead of stock wired antenna......it can extend my p2v's control range from 500-800m to over 1km^^

I just want to say that getting the antenna pigtail out of the pv2 is nearly impossible. Both connection were sealed pretty solid. I didn't want to risk it. From your photo it seems your one hasn't got the seal. Strange? :?

theSelf said:
speaktome34 said:

to confirm the only mod you did was change one of the two antennas on the repeater/VRX to the tp link 14 DBi patch antenna (no other changes to antennas on p2v rc control, p2v's vtx/camera or to the stock 5.8 ghz radio tx antenna and you are still getting 3300ft range and still seeing video and having rc control ? If so- that's good news to me as that is exactly what I have planned (just adding the 2.4Ghz 14dbi patch antenna and possibly making it swappable for 5 or 9dbi whip for more convenient/portability)

how did you mount the (rather large) tp link 14 dbi patch antenna?

Thank you

I can answer your question. The answer is yes. Your controller in FCC mode can manage just about 3300 ft. And the tp link has been proofing in that distance too. But I don't think the video is at solid 360' best flying side way. And everything got to be under perfect condition like interference, aim , battery level of controller and most importantly repeater. I found the distance drop half after 2 fly out of repeater.
If you only add one pigtail to your repeater then you better don't mount on top it. Mine is combine 5dbi omni and 9dbi tp link directional use valcol tape stick on top of repeater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka