More powerfull repeater?

Hi Highcloud,

I wanted to know what kind of battery you're using to power your router. Also, can you provide a full product brake down list of the items you used in your set up? Videos will be a plus! I know others will want to replicate your set up so they can reach the 3k marker too.

I appreciate your time! I am also testing a setup and will post if the results turn out good.

so can we double the range with just an omni out of the repeater or do we need a patch to double stock range?
all is like to do is double the stock range

mr_3_0_5 said:
so can we double the range with just an omni out of the repeater or do we need a patch to double stock range?
all is like to do is double the stock range

Hi, if you read my post a couple pages back the answer to your question would be yes. I've more than doubled the stock range using an 8dbi tplink omni directional and nearly doubled it using the 5dbi tplink omni directional. Both add little bulk and practically no weight to the package, versus the higher powered directional antenna alternatives. At least this is what my personal testing has shown thus far.

I got in the mail today an antenna I've been waiting on for the past month. I got it on Amazon and it's a Dual Band 2.4 / 5.8ghz directional antenna. 8dbi gain on 2.4 and 11dbi gain on 5.8ghz. In reality most antennas that will work on 2.4 will work on 5.8 and vice versa with just a slight difference in gain, their just not all listed that way and not many antennas are true dual band as in perfectly tuned for both at the same time.

The results of one quick flight test (way too cold for me to fly very long) showed better results than the 3 flight tests I did with the 9dbi gain TPLink directional antenna. I pushed around 1,800 feet with it. Which is similar in performance to the 5dbi TPLink omni directional antenna, though being a directional antenna it was of course more picky as to where I pointed the antenna. I think if you can keep this antenna pointed directly at the Phantom at all times it has the potential in further testing to prove itself somewhere between the power level of the 5 and 8dbi TPLink omni directionals though I will need to test further as one quick test alone is not enough. Overall given the price and the small size and easy mounting it is a decent antenna choice, though in all honesty if I had to choose I would still go with either the 5 of the 8dbi omni directionals simply for ease of use and the 8dbi omni did provide better range, though I tested it in a different location so inconclusive for now.

Below photos are how I had the antenna mounted. And a photo showing a size comparison between all the antennas I've tested so far and 1 antenna I've yet to test, a 9dbi omni directional antenna. I wish the weather would get better so I could run through all my batteries and thoroughly test them all in one shot. Anyway enjoy.

P.S.

As an added note to those who didn't read my prior posts on my range tests with the 5dbi and 8dbi antenna. I've pushed 2,000 feet with the 5dbi omni and 2,533 feet withthe 8dbi omni. These are max distances I've done thus far and said antennas, not the best distance for reliable use at any given orientation. Though the 8dbi seemed to work well on any orientation to around 1,800 - 2,000 feet, though will need further tests as I only did one.

Video link to a 2,000 foot test flight using the 5dbi omni directional. A few feet shy of 2,000 to be exact, which I reach when I'm hovering over a baseball field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trp2tPP_uEs

And here's a link to this directional antenna 8dbi 2.4 / 11dbi 5.8 directional antenna that I just tested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... UTF8&psc=1

TPLink 5dbi Omni
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833997208

TPLink 8dbi Omni
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833997226

9dbi Omni (I've yet to test this one)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SE ... UTF8&psc=1

Link to both the 9 and 14 dbi TPLink directional antennas. I wasn't impressed with the 9dbi but many people have gotten stellar results with the 14dbi
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CF ... UTF8&psc=1

2X U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna WiFi Cable (What you need to do the mod on your repeater)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UW ... OS14Z40O5E

How to video on modding the P2V wifi repeater.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4hHKU

I'll make additional posts later when I've had the chance to reset the 9dbi TPLink directional mounted differently than in my first tests, as well as a test of the 9dbi omni directional. I may also try using my Hawking Technology Wifi repeater as an additional test using two of the 9dbi omni's attached. I expect I'll push over a kilometer with that setup.

Attachments

• 8dbi directional side.JPG
    8dbi directional side.JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 8dbi top and tplink.JPG
    8dbi top and tplink.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 994
  • Antenna Comparison.JPG
    Antenna Comparison.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 1,021
Excelent BenDronePilot

i have make my setup from you, i use the tp link today and i get 745m and the i lost video, tomorrow i will try the 10 db antenna omni direccional and see what happend using both at the same time.

millertime510 said:
Hi Highcloud,

I wanted to know what kind of battery you're using to power your router. Also, can you provide a full product brake down list of the items you used in your set up? Videos will be a plus! I know others will want to replicate your set up so they can reach the 3k marker too.

I appreciate your time! I am also testing a setup and will post if the results turn out good.

Rotating stand http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 587wt_1161

Docooler repeater http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 851wt_1399

Battery pack http://shop.tangogroup.net/detailsT.asp?productid=554
Use this is PSU mode rather than jump starter

Omni antennas http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-Booster-Om ... bi+antenna

Patch antenna is Netgear http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netgear-ANT24 ... 648wt_1399

You will need an RP SMA to RP SMA cable to connect the patch to the repeater. I had one made by Allendale Elctronics in the UK you may be able to find on line though.

Follow the images and the repeater set up instructions. Remeber that you must use the SSID of Phantom_newname Took me 2 hours to figure out that Phantom_ is key to the ssid.

Let me know if you need help

Highcloud

hi guys, where i can t someting like this for my tripod. to put the docooler repeter the baterie etc on the top of the tripod.?

Follow the images and the repeater set up instructions. Remeber that you must use the SSID of Phantom_newname Took me 2 hours to figure out that Phantom_ is key to the ssid.

can you post that part of finding the phantom_newname highcloud plz,

thank all you guys i love my phantom everyday more and more.

oukenfold said:
Highcloud

hi guys, where i can t someting like this for my tripod. to put the docooler repeter the baterie etc on the top of the tripod.?

Originally posts by Jason Lee and RemE

RemE Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
5,245 Posts How to configure a Long Range Extender

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With many thanks to Mr. Lee and Mitchy123 for bringing light to this, here is my attempt of a how-to setup of the Docooler ARGtek 1500mW Router/Repeater/Client Bridge, available here;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First off, I love the stock WiFi Extender, it's small, runs a long time and is great for most general usage. I was drawn to the option of a larger extender that could be used as needed and not hack into the stock extender. This setup seems like the perfect option. Even if I don't go super far, I like the idea of the video and all the great telemetry data always being there, even if the control is lost. This way you can still monitor the model and get status as it hopefully goes into failsafe and begins its return.

This could be done with most any router, probably. I have a amateur license so I'm OK with using this more powerful version responsibly.

Overview, what we will do is to first gather the data from your existing Range Extender/Camera network. It will be needed to fill in the boxes in the Router config screens. Armed with that knowledge, we configure the router to mimic your stock extender.

1 - Normally you start with a working Vision WiFi Range Extender setup, power up the extender, the Vision, then your Phone/Pad and go to Settings>WiFi, and connect to the Extender Network.

2 - While still in the phone/pad WiFi settings, touch the (i) info icon to the right of the currently connected Range Extender network. In this information page, jot down the "IP Address", "Router", and the "Search Domains" information.

3 - Now Open the DJI Phone App and go to Settings>General>Binding. In here you will see the "Current Binding" data. Copy down the SSID number, this is the hidden ID of the Vision Camera, note that it's "FC200_the last 6 digits of its MAC address", just good to know. Note - The other instructions I saw had you reset the Extender and then Re-Bind the Camera using the QR Code from the shipping box and the manual (pg16), this should not be necessary if you have a normally working system already as you should be able to just read the current data. I have tried it both ways and it does work to get the Camera's hidden SSID number to show up if that information is blank in this screen for some reason.

Now we will configure the router. But first, I thought I'd mention something about using a second, spare, Range Extender. I was going to get a 2nd extender to modify it with big antennas etc. as others have done. I took the 2nd extender and found that I could bind it to the same Vision using the QR code from the Vision Shipping box (I keep a copy of this QR code in my carry case). The 2nd Extender shows up as a 2nd network on the iPad. So you can carry a spare extender and use one OR the other with no changes needed on the Vision, just connect to the which ever extender you need, each has a unique network name, easy!

Now, back to the Router.
4 - Unpack it and connect its antennas, don't operate it without antennas!

5 - Power it up with its AC adapter, connect a LAN cable to your laptop's LAN port to port 1 of the Router (any port really, except the WAN port).

6 - Open your laptop's browser and type in this URL 192.168.1.254
This should open the router's built-in WLAN Access Point web interface.

7 - We will be only configuring a few items, navigate using the Site Contents bar on the left side of the screen beginning with "Operation Mode". We will NOT use the setup wizard.

8 - Click on "Operation Mode" on the left bar, now select the "Bridge" radio button. Then click on "Apply Change" button at the bottom. It may restart, but don't worry it will come back.

9 - Now click on "Wireless" on the left bar and below that, select "Basic Settings". In here you select "Client" for the mode. for SSID you type in the SSID information from your Vision camera. Check the box near the bottom "Enable Universal Repeater Mode". Lastly in the "SSID of Extended Interface" box type in the name you want this Router Network to show on your Phone/iPad. I chose "Phantom_Ranger" as mine. Now click on apply changes, it may restart, no worries.

NOTE- It appears that the Vision Phone App must see "Phantom" in the first part of the SSID name in order to accept the connection to the router. Be sure to enter Phantom(plus anything more here) when you choose your router's network name.

10- Now click on "TCP/IP Settings" on the left bar and select "LAN Interface".
IP Address, Enter the info from your phone's "Router" field.
DHCP Client Range, enter the IP address from your Range Extender's WiFi setting as the start range, and a higher address as the end range (doesn't really matter).
Domain Name, enter "lan", then apply changes.

This should be it! disconnect the laptop, I power cycled my router, then fired up my Vision TX, then the Vision (and camera/Wifi). Leave your range extender OFF. On my iPad I went into Settings, WiFi, and watched for the "Phantom_Ranger" network to show up. It did, I connected to it, then opened the Vision App, and it worked right off the bat!!

oukenfold said:
I fought with this last night for a couple hours. Could not figure out why I couldn't get the Docooler to work until Jason Lee on RC Groups suggested I make the SSID the same as my stock extender, which worked. I did some further testing and you don't even have to have the underscore. For instance "Phantom123456" would work, but "Phanto123456" would not. It appears it is simply looking for "Phantom" (I did NOT try it with only "Phantom" so I'm not sure if this would work. RemE is supposed to be updating his instructions for getting the Docooler to work based on my testing.

COtto1984 said:
oukenfold said:
I fought with this last night for a couple hours. Could not figure out why I couldn't get the Docooler to work until Jason Lee on RC Groups suggested I make the SSID the same as my stock extender, which worked. I did some further testing and you don't even have to have the underscore. For instance "Phantom123456" would work, but "Phanto123456" would not. It appears it is simply looking for "Phantom" (I did NOT try it with only "Phantom" so I'm not sure if this would work. RemE is supposed to be updating his instructions for getting the Docooler to work based on my testing.

Good information - wish I'd known this the other evening ! So simple but easily passed over. I had originally called mine Sainsburys (as in supermarket) in case it started showing up on and causing problems with anyones wifi :D

I have seen a number of setups that are using both directional and omni-directional at the same time. Can someone explain the wiring for this? is there just a splice of the existing antenna? i was under the impressing that from the factory 1 antenna connection was for the phantom and the other for the app/phone wifi.

Easy way to extend your P2V's wifi range......After tested, it reach 1km in distance ^^

Attachments

• 2014-01-24-16-12-48.jpg
    2014-01-24-16-12-48.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 828
djscoutmaster said:
I have seen a number of setups that are using both directional and omni-directional at the same time. Can someone explain the wiring for this? is there just a splice of the existing antenna? i was under the impressing that from the factory 1 antenna connection was for the phantom and the other for the app/phone wifi.

Testing has shown that both antennas are used to connect to the Phantom and your iOS or Android device. And using a dual antenna setup with a directional antenna and the omni at the same time can give you the best of both worlds in terms of range and having or not having to always point your controller at your Phantom. Alternatively you can use two Directional or two Omni directional antennas rather than a mix. It's all a matter of preference in how you want to fly, how far and how bulky a setup you want to carry.

I posted a couple pages back about my latest tests using different antennas with links to all parts currently used and photo's and some results. The repeater mod itself it pretty simple, you can look at the video how to in my post as well. I'll give you the link here too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4hHKU

P.S. if you want to keep a more portable almost stock like setup, stick with using a single 5 or 8dbi omni added to the stock repeater. You'll be doubling the stock range while keeping things light and portable.

Highcloud said:
oukenfold said:
Highcloud

Originally posts by Jason Lee and RemE

RemE Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
5,245 Posts How to configure a Long Range Extender

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With many thanks to Mr. Lee and Mitchy123 for bringing light to this, here is my attempt of a how-to setup of the Docooler ARGtek 1500mW Router/Repeater/Client Bridge, available here;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First off, I love the stock WiFi Extender, it's small, runs a long time and is great for most general usage. I was drawn to the option of a larger extender that could be used as needed and not hack into the stock extender. This setup seems like the perfect option. Even if I don't go super far, I like the idea of the video and all the great telemetry data always being there, even if the control is lost. This way you can still monitor the model and get status as it hopefully goes into failsafe and begins its return.

This could be done with most any router, probably. I have a amateur license so I'm OK with using this more powerful version responsibly.

Overview, what we will do is to first gather the data from your existing Range Extender/Camera network. It will be needed to fill in the boxes in the Router config screens. Armed with that knowledge, we configure the router to mimic your stock extender.

1 - Normally you start with a working Vision WiFi Range Extender setup, power up the extender, the Vision, then your Phone/Pad and go to Settings>WiFi, and connect to the Extender Network.

2 - While still in the phone/pad WiFi settings, touch the (i) info icon to the right of the currently connected Range Extender network. In this information page, jot down the "IP Address", "Router", and the "Search Domains" information.

3 - Now Open the DJI Phone App and go to Settings>General>Binding. In here you will see the "Current Binding" data. Copy down the SSID number, this is the hidden ID of the Vision Camera, note that it's "FC200_the last 6 digits of its MAC address", just good to know. Note - The other instructions I saw had you reset the Extender and then Re-Bind the Camera using the QR Code from the shipping box and the manual (pg16), this should not be necessary if you have a normally working system already as you should be able to just read the current data. I have tried it both ways and it does work to get the Camera's hidden SSID number to show up if that information is blank in this screen for some reason.

Now we will configure the router. But first, I thought I'd mention something about using a second, spare, Range Extender. I was going to get a 2nd extender to modify it with big antennas etc. as others have done. I took the 2nd extender and found that I could bind it to the same Vision using the QR code from the Vision Shipping box (I keep a copy of this QR code in my carry case). The 2nd Extender shows up as a 2nd network on the iPad. So you can carry a spare extender and use one OR the other with no changes needed on the Vision, just connect to the which ever extender you need, each has a unique network name, easy!

Now, back to the Router.
4 - Unpack it and connect its antennas, don't operate it without antennas!

5 - Power it up with its AC adapter, connect a LAN cable to your laptop's LAN port to port 1 of the Router (any port really, except the WAN port).

6 - Open your laptop's browser and type in this URL 192.168.1.254
This should open the router's built-in WLAN Access Point web interface.

7 - We will be only configuring a few items, navigate using the Site Contents bar on the left side of the screen beginning with "Operation Mode". We will NOT use the setup wizard.

8 - Click on "Operation Mode" on the left bar, now select the "Bridge" radio button. Then click on "Apply Change" button at the bottom. It may restart, but don't worry it will come back.

9 - Now click on "Wireless" on the left bar and below that, select "Basic Settings". In here you select "Client" for the mode. for SSID you type in the SSID information from your Vision camera. Check the box near the bottom "Enable Universal Repeater Mode". Lastly in the "SSID of Extended Interface" box type in the name you want this Router Network to show on your Phone/iPad. I chose "Phantom_Ranger" as mine. Now click on apply changes, it may restart, no worries.

NOTE- It appears that the Vision Phone App must see "Phantom" in the first part of the SSID name in order to accept the connection to the router. Be sure to enter Phantom(plus anything more here) when you choose your router's network name.

10- Now click on "TCP/IP Settings" on the left bar and select "LAN Interface".
IP Address, Enter the info from your phone's "Router" field.
DHCP Client Range, enter the IP address from your Range Extender's WiFi setting as the start range, and a higher address as the end range (doesn't really matter).
Domain Name, enter "lan", then apply changes.

This should be it! disconnect the laptop, I power cycled my router, then fired up my Vision TX, then the Vision (and camera/Wifi). Leave your range extender OFF. On my iPad I went into Settings, WiFi, and watched for the "Phantom_Ranger" network to show up. It did, I connected to it, then opened the Vision App, and it worked right off the bat!!

can this make done with AP Router Repeater Client of my choice or it have to be the Docooler ARGtek Wireless-N only thank for advance.

Maybe you all can help me. I have been following this thread. I have made the modification to the Wifi extender to attach an antenna externally, leaving one of the stock antennas attached inside the extender. I picked up the TP-Link 5db omni-antenna and have gotten live-view range out to around 1,500 feet. Then I purchased the TP-Link TL-ANT2409A and attached it to the Wifi Extender, plugging it in in place of the 5db antenna. The problem is when I use the 9db antenna suddenly my live-view range drops to around 300-400 feet... Any ideas why? Could it be that I am placing the 9db antenna directly in front of the one remaining active stock antenna, or would this not have an effect. I'm a bit confused as to why my range would decrease so drastically... I switched back to the 5db omni, and immediately my range was back in the 1,500 foot range.

Twitch said:
Maybe you all can help me. I have been following this thread. I have made the modification to the Wifi extender to attach an antenna externally, leaving one of the stock antennas attached inside the extender. I picked up the TP-Link 5db omni-antenna and have gotten live-view range out to around 1,500 feet. Then I purchased the TP-Link TL-ANT2409A and attached it to the Wifi Extender, plugging it in in place of the 5db antenna. The problem is when I use the 9db antenna suddenly my live-view range drops to around 300-400 feet... Any ideas why? Could it be that I am placing the 9db antenna directly in front of the one remaining active stock antenna, or would this not have an effect. I'm a bit confused as to why my range would decrease so drastically... I switched back to the 5db omni, and immediately my range was back in the 1,500 foot range.

I had similar results using the 9dbi directional with it only performing barely better than the stock setup. I think it has to do with mounting it over the remaining working antenna as they likely work in tandem or it may be causing interference. I'll be testing again with it mounted elsewhere. And yeah the 5dbi omni directional works quite well I've been able to get as far as 2,000 feet with that one.

BenDronePilot said:
I had similar results using the 9dbi directional with it only performing barely better than the stock setup. I think it has to do with mounting it over the remaining working antenna as they likely work in tandem or it may be causing interference. I'll be testing again with it mounted elsewhere. And yeah the 5dbi omni directional works quite well I've been able to get as far as 2,000 feet with that one.

Thanks. I have another set of pigtails on the way, I'll see if mounting both an omni and the directional separately help at all.

I did open up the camera and routed a pigtail outside of the camera to a small project box that I mounted to the landing skid. To that I attached a 6db omni-directional antenna. I had it upright near the body, the props were able to clear it. There was little to no noticeable difference in doing this, so if you were considering this type of mod, that's my experience with it.

Twitch said:
I did open up the camera and routed a pigtail outside of the camera to a small project box that I mounted to the landing skid. To that I attached a 6db omni-directional antenna. I had it upright near the body, the props were able to clear it. There was little to no noticeable difference in doing this, so if you were considering this type of mod, that's my experience with it.

Today I went ahead and attached (taped ;-) ) a 5dbi onmi to the P2V camera and had OUTSTANDING results. Flew to approx 4000 feet with solid video (at 640x480) with a full pan.

I have the amplifier (waiting on more parts before install).

Good times.

Attachments

• 20140124_201407.jpg
    20140124_201407.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 674
  • 20140124_201431.jpg
    20140124_201431.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 678
  • 20140124_201503.jpg
    20140124_201503.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 648
themosttoys said:
Twitch said:

Today I went ahead and attached (taped ;-) ) a 5dbi onmi to the P2V camera and had OUTSTANDING results. Flew to approx 4000 feet with solid video (at 640x480) with a full pan.

I have the amplifier (waiting on more parts before install).

Good times.

themosttoys

very good themosttoys thats what i wanna do with my camara can you tell me something.

1.- in wich atenna inside left o right of the camara you connect the pigtail cable, and its 15 cm cable o more?
2.- whats antenna 5db are you using can you post where you buy it.
3.- what antennas you are using in the repeater?
4 can you tell me where did you make the drill in the camara to get out the cable?
5.- can you post picture of you camara modification.
finally hope you can and thank u

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT