More powerfull repeater?

Hey guys .....

This my best distance so far I started to lose video transmission...I'm going to switch out the PV wifi antenna in the camera..my brother is a electronic engineer and he said that should help more...we need to find out if someone can hack the firmware in the range extender to increase the millawatt output from 50 mw to 100mw or more

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 584
Sorg said:
Hey guys .....

This my best distance so far I started to lose video transmission...I'm going to switch out the PV wifi antenna in the camera..my brother is a electronic engineer and he said that should help more...we need to find out if someone can hack the firmware in the range extender to increase the millawatt output from 50 mw to 100mw or more

Steve

This power increase can be achieved with a cheap wifi amplifier.

I've ordered this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadband-Wirel ... OU:US:1120) and to power it I looked around and found a DC 5v 2A power bank (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/314077807.html) that should work although both not yet delivered so pending some testing.

And If anyone is interested in a 5.8 amplifier setup, I've ordered the following:

6cm 5.8GHz 1W Amplifier Kit (http://www.minikits.com.au/6cm-1W-Amplifier)
- EME141 Options: EME141-5800 KIT
- Labour: Solder the TC3531 to..
- SMA13: 1x SMA male 1x SMA female

All that's needed is power between 9-14v and this is battery I've purchased (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CK5 ... UTF8&psc=1)

These in combination with some high gain antennas should boast at least 2km reliable range

Bjay....how far have you gotten with that setup. I'm trying to research the firmware in the extender to get more millawatt output... Do you have pics that you have posted

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 553
storm_333 said:
What do people think of this 15dbi omnidirectional antenna?

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/ ... L-ANT2415D

It's 1.5m high so would have to be mounted separately, but that wouldn't be a problem. Is it maybe a bit of overkill? There is a 12dbi model too. I like the thought of omnidirectional rather than directional.

9 degrees vertical beam width. If this covers your flight plan, it should work fine.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

gpauk said:
BenDronePilot said:
From all the posts I've seen thus far, I've come to the conclusion that both of the antennas on the Wifi repeater work in tandem, as opposed to the initial belief that one specifically speaks to the phantom and the other your phone or tablet. So using two antennas together would provide the best possible overall performance as it will provide a larger view of the sky. Though one antenna has seemed sufficient for most of you, although since both antennas are working I'd suggest having both your updated antenna as well as the remaining connect built in antenna both pointed towards your Phantom to give the best view of the sky even though at greater range the smaller antenna will no longer be coming in to play here.

You are correct. The 2 antennas in the repeater act as a diversity system - the repeater picks the antenna with the best signal. The local signal is always going to be strong, so not a problem. Using 2 directional antennas, replacing both internal ones - separated as much as possible -- would be the best result, if perhaps cumbersome. It's all about picking the best compromise!
Personally I choose medium gain (9dBi ish) omni antennas and a higher powered repeater as that gets good range without pointing issues, and saves modifying the PVs supplied repeater. But it's all about personal choice!

Is there any reason why you cant use a directional antenna and an omnidirectional antenna at the same time? Sort of getting the best of both worlds. I was thinking of using the 14dbi tp-link directional antenna that several people have used in conjunction with a 15dbi omnidirectional antenna.

Here are the controller/repeater mods I've made so far. I ordered another RC so I can do some direct stock vs. modified comparisons next weekend. I've also got the Docooler repeater on-order. Hopefully it comes in this week.

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

COtto1984 said:
Here are the controller/repeater mods I've made so far. I ordered another RC so I can do some direct stock vs. modified comparisons next weekend. I've also got the Docooler repeater on-order. Hopefully it comes in this week.

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

Nice setup. Also where did you get those stickers for the tx? I always forget what the switches do :lol:

iDrone said:
ZonComGMZ said:
Wonder if this would work to increase the power in FCC mode from 125mw to 8000mw.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8W-Wireless...osters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item1c3b81a58d
Couple that with the 14dbi TP-Link antennae and you could have FPV from your Phantom on the moon. :)
You're really Mr. Evil disguised as ZonComGMZ aren't you?

IDrone (the Very) :D

You haven't seen this story yet have you? I want ONE BILLION Dollars!!!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...wedge-shaped-craft-appears-lunar-surface.html

COtto1984 said:

Very impressive setup. Am I right in thinking that you have an omnidirectional antenna and a directional antenna connected to the repeater at the same time. That's the setup I'm aiming for to get the best of both worlds. What dbi is the omnidirectional anetenna?

storm_333 said:
COtto1984 said:

Very impressive setup. Am I right in thinking that you have an omnidirectional antenna and a directional antenna connected to the repeater at the same time. That's the setup I'm aiming for to get the best of both worlds. What dbi is the omnidirectional anetenna?
That's exactly what I did. Went with this antenna here for the omni:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DC ... UTF8&psc=1

COtto1984 said:
storm_333 said:
COtto1984 said:

That's exactly what I did. Went with this antenna here for the omni:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DC ... UTF8&psc=1

COtto i plan to make the same thing, did you replace the 2 antennas left and right inside the repetear? the these 2? can you tell me in wich of the inside antennas you put the tp link left or right? thank u very much.

dkatz42 said:
davidbarwin said:
1,170 feet above I-70 & Sheridan in Denver
Getting awfully close to the floor of the DEN Class B airspace (8000 MSL in that neighborhood) and I regularly fly my full-size airplane through that area close to that altitude coming into Jeffco (trying to stay out of said airspace). You might want to save the high altitude stuff for the boondocks. Neither of us would like it much if I hit your P2V doing 200 knots.

(Nearly hit a hang glider at 5000' north of Burbank once, probably the most scared I've been in an airplane...)

Point well taken dkatz42! Would also point out to those who want to get stadium/outdoor venue footage to keep in mind the slow and low flying planes carrying banners (Bronco & Rockies games). We like to fly a little higher than we should and they like to fly a little lower than they should and BOOM…heavy fine or loss of life.

Mr_3_0_5 :…… just the antenna upgrade on the TX side.

COtto1984 said:

I see you are using a 5.8GHz Circular Polarized Antenna on the transmitter. Does that work ok for you? I thought I saw someone mention if you use this antenna you have to use a circular polarized antenna on the Vison receiver too. Basically it was something to the affect you can't mix and match the antennas and get better performance.

Super-D said:
COtto1984 said:

I see you are using a 5.8GHz Circular Polarized Antenna on the transmitter. Does that work ok for you? I thought I saw someone mention if you use this antenna you have to use a circular polarized antenna on the Vison receiver too. Basically it was something to the affect you can't mix and match the antennas and get better performance.
I went out to the beach on Saturday and didn't have any problems with it. My WIFI connection cut out before the TX did so I never got to push it to it's limit. This was before I made the modifications to the repeater as I didn't make those changes until Sunday and have yet to test. I ordered this guy too which I will test this weekend.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E37 ... UTF8&psc=1

Highcloud said:
Hi all, actually got to do my first flight today after all the bad weather in the uk. Have done a lot of reading on range and antennas while waiting to fly!
I found that having the stock repeater at top of charge for each flight appeared to make a difference. So much so that I managed nearly 500 Metres with vision still working. Still being new to this model and set up I fumbled for a screen capture and lost the signal but did capture it at 452 Metres. I have ordered a 1500mW repeater from China with 3 omni pole antennas. I plan to replace 2 of these omnis with 14 DBI directional antennas with a 30 degree beam each and leave the single omni to to the near range work. If my very rough path link calculations are correct and depending on the local noise I would expect to see a range approaching 3 km or st least the range of the stock transmitter.

A few pages back I mentioned that the stock repeater seemed to perform better when it was at top of charge. While waiting for my docooler repeater to arrive I have done some work on getting the most out of the stock repeater with the stock antenna. The repeater charges quite slowly at around 70 mA but uses around 330 mA when in wfi operation. Keeping the internal 3.7v battery at its maximum charge seemed to improve the range, so I added a 5 v battery pack to the micro USB input of the repeater. This now ensures that the repeater battery is always at top of charge and the resultant flight distances suggest that this is an improvement. I flew 675 Metres using this set up - see image. The battery pack that I went with is a 5 v 12000 mAh pack with USB output that links nicely into the repeater.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 640
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 615
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 655

Recent Posts

Members online