More powerfull repeater?

oukenfold said:
Alex do you have to remove the white glue from the connection where you have the black tape in your tx? does the U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna fits there or i have to solder? thanks

No soldering required. I used a box cutter to remove the silicone. That's all you have to do.

Hey ahtiram2725, You're correct but I reside in US. I couldn't find the reply message tab so I am responding here, sorry about that guys :)

BenDronePilot said:
This antenna may make a viable alternative to the TPLink 9DB Directional Antenna. And it's cheaper too. I'm going to try both. This antenna will work with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... 9KAYIQOOLR

Hi Ben i got this antenna already, put it on the tx today, quite a big improvement took it up to 1100m (3600 ft) probably could have gone further too. Think the max i got with the stock antenna was about 760m and you would be loosing the control signal quite a bit. So definitely a good investment.

spazmodic1 said:
BenDronePilot said:
This antenna may make a viable alternative to the TPLink 9DB Directional Antenna. And it's cheaper too. I'm going to try both. This antenna will work with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... 9KAYIQOOLR

Hi Ben i got this antenna already, put it on the tx today, quite a big improvement took it up to 1100m (3600 ft) probably could have gone further too. Think the max i got with the stock antenna was about 760m and you would be loosing the control signal quite a bit. So definitely a good investment.

Spazmodic1, How did you connect and attach to controller? This appears to be a nice compromise between stock and the larger antenna. Pics/parts list? Thanks!

Hey mate, guess its pretty similar to the previous posts about adding the pigtail into the controller. Except i took mine out of an old laptop and soldered it onto an sma connector myself. I would like another method to secure the sma connector onto the controller as at the moment i have just wrapped electrical tape around the connector so its big enough to be held in place by the plastic shell.

Attachments

• 20140102_005602 copy.jpg
    20140102_005602 copy.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 432
I took out the four allen head screws on the range extender but still could not get the two plastic halves apart. Am I missing something. I didn't want to break it. It is all of a week old.

The 4 screws is all you need to take out. Use a plastic blade or credit card to pry it apart.

It has two catches that are holding it on the "long" sides. I pulled it open a crack and then slid in a 1" putty knife and popped it one side at a time.

Ok thanks. Credit card work just need to push in the tabs with the credit card and it popped off.

Another thing, there are two antennas and im still not clear why. Some have posted that they are for spatial diversity and another indicated one is master and one is slave. In other words the master would be receiving from P2V and then slave would be transmitting to smartphone. Since the distance to the smartphone is very short a patch antenna would not make sense here...only on the slave

So the consensus seemed to be that the master antenna was the left one and the slave on the right but I noticed Uncle Fester was getting good results attaching the patch antenna to the right side.

Seems maybe it doesn't matter and the two antennas are for spatial diversity? What do you guys think?

I attached my external antenna to the left one. I think some have indicated the right one is the antenna that 'talks' to the iPhone/mobile device whereas the left one is to 'talk' to the Phantom. I was able to get out 1800 feet while at an elevation of 600 feet tonight in an area with LOADS of WiFi signals. Looking to try other ones now.

szobell said:
I attached my external antenna to the left one. I think some have indicated the right one is the antenna that 'talks' to the iPhone/mobile device whereas the left one is to 'talk' to the Phantom. I was able to get out 1800 feet while at an elevation of 600 feet tonight in an area with LOADS of WiFi signals. Looking to try other ones now.

Which antenna did you use? Did you only change the wifi antenna or the transmitter too

BenDronePilot said:
szobell said:

Which antenna did you use? Did you only change the wifi antenna or the transmitter too

The one I was flying with tonight was this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UB ... UTF8&psc=1

I have ordered this one as well to try: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT240 ... PDKIKX0DER

I did order the transmitter antenna (cloverleaf ones), but they are not here yet. However, I have yet to ever lose my transmitter signal while i still have my wifi going. I only seem to lose my wifi, so my focus is on extending that range. I am now looking into what it would take to add an antenna on the Phantom.

helixaviator said:
Ok thanks. Credit card work just need to push in the tabs with the credit card and it popped off.

Another thing, there are two antennas and im still not clear why. Some have posted that they are for spatial diversity and another indicated one is master and one is slave. In other words the master would be receiving from P2V and then slave would be transmitting to smartphone. Since the distance to the smartphone is very short a patch antenna would not make sense here...only on the slave

So the consensus seemed to be that the master antenna was the left one and the slave on the right but I noticed Uncle Fester was getting good results attaching the patch antenna to the right side.

Seems maybe it doesn't matter and the two antennas are for spatial diversity? What do you guys think?

There are two antennas, its called MIMO (multiple in multiple out) allot of wifi systems use this principal. It is basically an antenna array. As far as i know it it will pick and choose between the two and use the best signal. This system was developed to get allot more effeciency out of small antennas. so it doesn't matter which one you use because it will be getting the best signal from best antenna.

Hi, I'm new to this site so bear with me. I've read through most of the tech about range as 300M FPV limit was a bit off putting when selecting a PV. I have one on the way all the same and plan to extend range. Not a critsm, but an observation, and that is there is a lot of guessing of how the repeater is working. Would DJI not be able to confirm how they have configured their repeater ? I guess they would obviously invalidate warranty for any modified equipment, but it would take a lot of experimentation and guess work out of the equation. Do DJI monitor this site at all or have an interest in it?
The work done to date is really useful and will save me a lot of time figuring it out, just curious about how DJI view this forum and the excellent work going on.

Welcome! DJI have never posted here to my knowledge (well certainly not in the Phantom 2/Vision threads). They do post now and again on rcgroups forums, but that's just announcements of new updates or new products. They don't seem get involved in that way. The various DJI offices round the world are mainly sales & marketing and dealer support sites as far as I know, all the tech, design and big decisions take place in Shenzhen. Hopefully they are too busy finalising our ground station update to be on internet forums... :lol:

But on a serious note I doubt they'd want to say anything about how anything works in any depth both to protect their IP and avoid too many people embarking on hacking and modding, given that they are aiming the Vision squarely at non-technical, non-RC experienced, non-tinkerers who want to just plug and go...

Highcloud said:
Hi, I'm new to this site so bear with me. I've read through most of the tech about range as 300M FPV limit was a bit off putting when selecting a PV. I have one on the way all the same and plan to extend range. Not a critsm, but an observation, and that is there is a lot of guessing of how the repeater is working. Would DJI not be able to confirm how they have configured their repeater ? I guess they would obviously invalidate warranty for any modified equipment, but it would take a lot of experimentation and guess work out of the equation. Do DJI monitor this site at all or have an interest in it?
The work done to date is really useful and will save me a lot of time figuring it out, just curious about how DJI view this forum and the excellent work going on.

The 300 meter range estimate is a VERY accurate average FPV range estimate for the Phantom 2 vision when used in an urban environment and can extend far beyond that in a very rural area completely free of other wireless and electrical interference. This is all with the stock setup.

Those people having dramatically lesser experiences than that mainly fall into one of three categories.

1) they are not orienting both the transmitter and wifi repeater antennas correctly during flight.

The antenna on the control as rule of thumb should be pointing straight up and the flat side of the wifi repeater should be pointing at the Phantom. That also means you should not be flying directly above or behind yourself.

2) they are not flying their phantom within direct line of sight and allowing other obstacles to get between you.

That means the further away you fly the higher you should go to ensure perfect line of sight to your phantom with no obstructions. Also no flying directly above you at very high altitude do to the radiation pattern of the antenna on the phantom and transmitter. The phantom should be at least 50 feet away from you for a good high altitude flight.

3) The user in question may have a faulty transmitter or disconnected antenna wire or problem with the wifi range extender not being linked properly to the camera causing a direct and reduced range connection.

With the surgery needed on the controller to perform firmware updates some have accidentally loosened or disconnected the internal antenna wire. Also sometime you simply just get a faulty controller. In some other cases they may not be switching to FCC mode. Also doing firmware update without making sure your controller is up to date and not accidentally switched back to CE mode in the software can also be problematic result in either reduced range or loss of control.

For dramatically reduced FPV problems that is not do to antenna direction problems it may be that you're connecting directly to the camera wifi and not the visions. This generally shouldn't happen as out of the box the cameras wifi should be invisible with only the repeaters ssid being there. Rebinding the camera to the repeater may be a solution to that.

With all that being said. If you get a Phantom 2 vision that is working as it should (which would be the majority) you will absolutely get either slightly below or slightly above the expected average flying FPV range of 300 meters or 975 feet (that distance includes both altitude and distance away combined). Myself and many others on this forum have gotten over 1,000 feet away while at altitudes of over 300 feet without a problem. This will reduce if you're not using your phantom in a park: also the lower the preview quality you set (live feed) the further you will be able to travel.

And one last thing, as good as a properly functioning stock Phantom 2 vision is for FPV range, using an adapter and adding a high gain directional antenna can easily double or triple the range of the stock wifi repeater for FPV range. The range increase will vary depending on antenna. The controller antenna can also be changed as well tho most people haven't felt the need to.

Hey I am new here and was wondering if any one has looked into the antennas on the copter yet looks like those cloverleafs would work well? And what antennas do what on the copter ?

BAKER_1111 said:
Hey I am new here and was wondering if any one has looked into the antennas on the copter yet looks like those cloverleafs would work well? And what antennas do what on the copter ?

On the Phantom itself the control signal is a thin wire down the leg and the wifi antenna is integrated into the camera.

Hey thanks thinking about ripping in to it soon would the same pigtails be used on the phantom as well ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl