More powerfull repeater?

007trains said:
I'm planning to upgrade my repeater with a 9db TP-Link antenna and a 1W PA. Do i need two antennas for each of the antennas in the repeater or will it work just as well with just one hooked up.
Just the one, read back a few pages and you'll know which one to use.

BJay said:
007trains said:
I'm planning to upgrade my repeater with a 9db TP-Link antenna and a 1W PA. Do i need two antennas for each of the antennas in the repeater or will it work just as well with just one hooked up.
Just the one, read back a few pages and you'll know which one to use.

Thanks for the quick response. Also i have IPX to sma cables will they fit or are they different from the U.FL Mini PCI cables mentioned earlier.

Hey Adam?

If I were to run a two antenna system much like you use but offset the two antenna on the mast say 10 degrees from one anoher, would the wave interference where the two waves intersect offset any gain in area coverage?

I'm thinking by offsetting the two slightly we could gain in areal horizontal coverage? Give us a larger safety envelope than just having both antenna pointing in the same direction, again assuming interference doesn't cancel the gain out along the center-line.

FYI: You only need to upgrade one of the repeater's antennas, since the second antenna is for communication to your tablet\smartphone.

There are two U.fl\IPX 1.3 plugs on the repeater's PCB, just beside the 'DJI' logo.

The left one is the one that connects to your Phantom Vision.
The right one is the one that connects to your smartphone\tablet.

It is hot as hell where I live and I would love to be able to sit in my car and place the repeater out side using this method as well as something to extend the transmitter out side of the vehicle. Any thiughts?

Hi all!

I just wanted to share my setup that has shown significant improvement of range, both for the control, as well as the wifi feed.

The antenna on the control is now replaceable. The cloverleaf I am using has extended my range by about 100% in an area with a lot of signal noise. The TPLINK setup is also easily exchangeable and I can add a booster on both (or different antennas), if needed. I have yet to enter open space with this setup, but I expect it to perform great.

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 425
Primordial said:
Did you put a clover leaf antenna on the vision as well?

No. I may do that, but at this point I believe that increasing TX output may be more beneficial, if necessary. I also ordered a bunch of other antennas to play around with, and compare to see what works best for my setup.

alexmla said:
Primordial said:
Did you put a clover leaf antenna on the vision as well?

No. I may do that, but at this point I believe that increasing TX output may be more beneficial, if necessary. I also ordered a bunch of other antennas to play around with, and compare to see what works best for my setup.

Brilliant - would be keen to hear how you go with the other antennas. Keep us posted if you can!

Thanks for the photos. I'm going to use the same setup.

I see others with male instead of female connectors, and some
with straight connectors instead of right angle.

These change the radiation pattern, perhaps to the upper hemisphere
instead of a doughnut pattern of the standard Tx antenna?

So, perhaps not very much change in gain, right?

Tried all my Allen Wrenches to get the little DJI stock router open. What size is it? Got the 14dB TP-Link mounted and need to just get into the inside of the router.

alexmla said:
Hi all!

I just wanted to share my setup that has shown significant improvement of range, both for the control, as well as the wifi feed.

The antenna on the control is now replaceable. The cloverleaf I am using has extended my range by about 100% in an area with a lot of signal noise. The TPLINK setup is also easily exchangeable and I can add a booster on both (or different antennas), if needed. I have yet to enter open space with this setup, but I expect it to perform great.

Alexmia...

Could you share with us how did you installed the 5.8 ghz antenna?

Thanks!
JC

Great information on this forum. Really appreciate all the different ideas. Sure makes life easier.

Experimenting with this set up. Not complete yet but I'm trying to keep it flexible so I can easily use the Ipad mini with the TP Link or switch back to the Iphone with the stock repeater antenna.

I've used this Ram Mount IPad mini holder for some time in my car and love it. Works without having to remove the mini from the case and is spring loaded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 399
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 393
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 380
James Cole said:
Alexmia...

Thanks!
JC

Sure JC!

I used this: amzn.to/19UBpTw
There are two in the package, one can be used for the TX modification, one for the repeater.

Fits right in, no soldering required.

Attachments

• TX.jpg
    TX.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 430
ZonComGMZ said:
Tried all my Allen Wrenches to get the little DJI stock router open. What size is it? Got the 14dB TP-Link mounted and need to just get into the inside of the router.

1.5mm hex head on the extender, 2.0mm hex on the Vision body itself if you ever need to get into that. Those two sizes are good to have in your toolbox for Vision work! :D

Hey there,

after reading through this thread for nearly 2 hours I am wondering, if those guys that were having really bad RC range, solved their issue. I am maxing out at 200m with RC while my video works perfectly fine. In fact I only once reached 200m.. Usually the RC connection breaks at around 100 to 150m. My antenna was positioned horizontally while the phantom was hovering 10-30 meters in front of me and 100 to 150m straight up in the air. I am already in FCC Mode and would really love to get up as high as 500 meters or even more. Is there any way to check if my transmitter is broken? What would you recommend to increase the RC 5.8 ghz range? Would there be a big increase if I install a cloverleaf antenna on my transmitter without installing a booster and without installing the cloverleaf counterpart on the vision?

Thank you! Hopefully I can sort this issue out as 100 to 150 meters is way to low as I expected something around 250 to 300m in height.

alexmla said:
James Cole said:
Alexmia...

Thanks!
JC

Sure JC!

I used this: amzn.to/19UBpTw
There are two in the package, one can be used for the TX modification, one for the repeater.

Fits right in, no soldering required.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But it looks at if you desoldered the original antenna wire from the base where it was connected. Versus doing something like cutting the original antenna wire part way and splicing it in. And what would you think of having the wire simply spliced in from the original antenna wire? Also how is this setup working with respect to range from the stock antenna to the clover leaf?

BenDronePilot said:
Correct me if i'm wrong. But it looks at if you desoldered the original antenna wire from the base where it was connected. Versus doing something like cutting the original antenna wire part way and splicing it in. And what would you think of having the wire simply spliced in from the original antenna wire? Also how is this setup working with respect to range from the stock antenna to the clover leaf?

At least on my TX the original antenna wire was not soldered. I would not bother splicing, just replace it; one less thing to worry about. Desolder the original wire (if yours is soldered), and solder the new antenna wire onto the transmitter instead. This setup has increased my TX range by over 100% in an urban area with heavy signal noise. YMMV, but the beauty of this setup is that you can switch antennas easily, and pick the one that works best for you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor