More powerfull repeater?

spazmodic1 said:
themosttoys said:
spazmodic1 said:
You guys need to remember the repeater link is a wifi connection ie both devices transmit and recieve. so even if you had the most powerful repeater in the world it wouldn't improve distance because its limited by the visions tx power. So when you fly it far away the repeater has no problem reaching the vision but the vision cannot maintain a reliable connection because of its lack of output power. So the vision and the repeater are constantly talking to each other and if one stops talking (out of range) the connection is broken.

I'd say that while the basis of your point is true, it is not entirely accurate. It is true that unless you position the repeater somewhere between you and the P2V (to take full advantage of the repeater), the amplifier in the repeater alone will not make a significant difference. It is also very true that amplification is not the answer (heck, Voyager 1 is 11 Billion miles away and it only has a 23W radio.) Antenna size, pattern and configuration (Ex: MIMO) absolutely will make a difference. For example, if your P2V is maxing out at 1500 feet (stock) and you simply switch to a single larger (more sensitive) antenna (as many have) to the stock repeater, you very well could double that range (say 3000 feet). If you then put that same antenna (or three of them ;-)) on a MIMO repeater, you might almost double that again (for arguments sake lets say 5000 feet). Then of course you could move the repeater (or chain more together) and again extend the range or use even more optimal antennas (and / or aiming / tracking devices), all without making any changes to the P2V itself. Then there is the control signal to consider, but that is a different story all together.

There are realistic limits, but before those limits are reached, you will simply run out of battery power to fly. Given an average fly time of 20 minutes (28 minutes total, but with a safe buffer for wind and landing reserve) and an average flight speed of 20 miles per hour (yes it will go faster, but faster speed will trade off battery life and total flight time). You have about (give or take) a three mile maximum realistic service range (three miles out, a few minutes to hover / look and three miles back). Three miles is a very achievable goal (from a radio perspective).

Fun stuff, there is a lot to consider.

"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others." - Jonathan Winters.

Your absolutely right mate. But the Voyger doesn't have 2 patch antennas inside a camera that constantly changing direction. Yes it doesn't take much power to penetrate the earths atmosphere and reach outer space as the Voyager is relatively speaking only as far away as the extremities of the earth atmosphere(you don't get rf losses in space, only dispersal of the wave). But while we are using the vision within earth atmosphere 10 or 20dbm output power (whatever it is) ain't going to get you far, especially when around trees and materials that will inhibit the propagation of the rf energy.
In my opinion the most convienient way to increase distance would be through increased tx power. I couldn't understand why one would set up repaters all over the place to maintain a connection. But thats just me.

I recall excitement when I bought a new 14.4 modem for my laptop in 1995......lol
Moose

BenDronePilot said:
Here's a video I made doing the P2V Camera Antenna mod. The way I personally accessed the antenna connectors was bending the two posts to the side. Others have used different methods but this is how I did mine. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-Hb95MMN8
great video thanks.... would there be any advantage to remove the old antennas.... weight?

I cant believe I have finally finished reading this entire thread....I decided to purchase the cable, TP link TL-ANT2409A 2.4GHz 9dB and the TP-LINK TL-ANT2408CL 2.4GHz 8dBi. what are people doing to mount the 9DB to the controller.....Im looking for mounting options.

Thanks
Luke

I got a solid 1550 ft with a 8 dbi on the repeater today I'm waiting on a LHCP 6 turn helical will post when I get it

I just finished installing my antenna wire in my wifi repeater and I'm using a 9dBi antenna. I'm getting around a solid 2,500 foot distance at 200' altitude. Beyond that it starts breaking up. Kinda disappointing. I had hoped for more. Maybe try a directional antenna?

PhantomPerk said:
zmb said:
ive used only the 9db tp-link antenna and the 2nd phone holder as an all-in-one-1km-distance-mod.
so.. from what im reading here so far, its the best mod with the best results. it light /cheap / easy to install.
no additional amplifiers, long weird antennas or other ugly enhancements :)

i very happy with this setting, its totally enough range for me :)

I went with this same TP Link 9db Directional. I had some 'extra' GoPro mounts laying around so I was able to connect everything without getting another phone clip. Here are some pics. I used a GoPro tripod mount($4.50 on ebay) so I can mount the antenna to the TX using the original range extender holder. Then I used one of the sticky mounts to mount the original range extender to the back of the antenna. Easily removed for charging. I haven't tried the range yet but the OP got over 900 meters and that is waaay farther than I will ever fly...lol...

2yxhfg6.jpg

2vijog2.jpg

no7nev.jpg

14v3ceb.jpg

24njr7b.jpg

thanks for your share- could you please share the specific link to the '2 pronged' gopro tripod mount as that is hard to find and need 2 (as opposed to the usual 3) prongs to attach the patch antenna to the stock TX mount (normally for the repeater)- thank you for sharing

Figured I'd post it here as we'll
I had another question the Wifi repeater has 100 mw on each channel
Most of us only use one side for external antenna
Can we take the power from both feeds and combine it into one 200 mw output to the external antenna ?
Any boosters that will run off the battery in the repeater ? As to not have to add an additional battery
Like a u-fl y to one rp-Sma would that work?

Installed and tested the 9db to find I was losing control signal while I still had full Video signal .... sweet ! :mrgreen:

you guys check this out from http://www.fpvlr.com

FPVLR LHCP 6.5turns 12.9dBi antenna is ready to ship out.

IT's white pvc compliments the DJi controller and accessories.

There will be a small form factor helix of 9dBi that is being developed specifically.

The 6.5 turn is 20cm long, weighs 155gr and and has 110mm diameter reflector plate, the small form factor will be 1/4 the size of the 6.5 turn with a 50% decrease in max range compared to this one.

i think this is the real deal for getting long range video, don't you think so?

Attachments

• LHCP2_4.jpg
    LHCP2_4.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 651
  • LHCP2_4_weight.jpg
    LHCP2_4_weight.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 681
  • LHCP2_4_2.jpg
    LHCP2_4_2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 715
rofd said:

There will be a small form factor helix of 9dBi that is being developed specifically.

The 6.5 turn is 20cm long, weighs 155gr and and has 110mm diameter reflector plate, the small form factor will be 1/4 the size of the 6.5 turn with a 50% decrease in max range compared to this one.

Not sure which ones you are referring to. FPVLR has a range of helicals in the 2.4ghz range including the 4 1/4 turn and the soon to be released parasitic helical antenna. Personally i have a lot of respect for FPVLR and am confident the antennas they sell are exactly as specified. From what i hear the 6.5 turn and the 4.25 turn helicals have the same gain as higher turn helicals but with better efficiency. So yeah you could mount one of these on the tx and you should get great long range video as long as you pair it up with a decent cp antenna on the vision.

But thats just my 2 cents worth :lol:

rofd said:

I would like to see someone mount that for the camera on the P2V and see what kinda range they get.

Has anyone else had problems with the app. i have an intermittent problem where the app gives me telemetry but no video and theres other times where the vision is right in front of me and yet the phantom vision connection broken error appears. I've updated everything and yet still no difference.

Edit: Just tried moving my phone away from the antennas and that seems to have fixed it

Edit2: Was fiddling with my setup which consists of two boosters with two antennas next to each other unplugging one of the boosters or rotating one of the antennas 90 degrees also fixes the connection issues.

007trains said:
rofd said:

Not sure which ones you are referring to. FPVLR has a range of helicals in the 2.4ghz range including the 4 1/4 turn and the soon to be released parasitic helical antenna. Personally i have a lot of respect for FPVLR and am confident the antennas they sell are exactly as specified. From what i hear the 6.5 turn and the 4.25 turn helicals have the same gain as higher turn helicals but with better efficiency. So yeah you could mount one of these on the tx and you should get great long range video as long as you pair it up with a decent cp antenna on the vision.

i'm thinking on getting the 6.5 turn and of course with cp antenna on the vision, this one from FPVLR (not sure if i need two or just one, i know the vision has 2 antennas in the camera :? ) :

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 576
rofd said:
007trains said:
rofd said:

i'm thinking on getting the 6.5 turn and of course with cp antenna on the vision, this one from FPVLR (not sure if i need two or just one, i know the vision has 2 antennas in the camera :? ) :

I've just ordered a set of pentalobe antennas from FPVLR for both the video and control but i'm gonna wait till they release the 2.4ghz parasitic helical antenna and get 2 of them .

I've gone with two antennas for the camera but you really only need one. I just figured having a second one will mean the antenna is never shadowed by the vision. And i like it when things are symmetrical :D

i'm thinking on getting the 6.5 turn and of course with cp antenna on the vision, this one from FPVLR (not sure if i need two or just one, i know the vision has 2 antennas in the camera :? ) :[/quote]

I've just ordered a set of pentalobe antennas from FPVLR for both the video and control but i'm gonna wait till they release the 2.4ghz parasitic helical antenna and get 2 of them .

I've gone with two antennas for the camera but you really only need one. I just figured having a second one will mean the antenna is never shadowed by the vision. And i like it when things are symmetrical :D[/quote]

i don't know the differences between those antennas. so, parasitic helical antenna are better ? if it is, i'll wait too :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arthurbiss