More channels hack

CORRECTION, its not working....while I see 32 channels. only 13-20 are available even while in custom mode. the rest of the channels are blacked out and not able to even see them in the "select channel" drop down menu.
That is interesting.
Has there been an update of the app already to disable the use of the hack?

Exactly what version of the DJI Go or Pilot app are you using?

I assume you tested with the remote control turned on and connected to the tablet.
Do you see activity on channels above/below 13-20 (green or red bars)?

It still says "Version: 2.0.0" in the appstore, though.

Last edited:
That was a lot of reading. Where do I download this file from, probably did read it somewhere but I have taken a lot in since then. Lol

That was a lot of reading. Where do I download this file from, probably did read it somewhere but I have taken a lot in since then. Lol
Check post #1 in this thread for the link.

I have put the file into itunes and synced but it still wont work, do you need to open the file first before putting it into itunes, its hard to tell of the video on you tube because he points the camera away at that point, i did notice tho the file he is adding into itunes is called DJI configs, and the file i have added is called DJI config file. So do i need to open it first because if so im knackered because i can not open it. If this is the case does anyone know were you can download it.

What do you base that assertion on? You seem to be pretty sure.

His assertion is wrong. Flat out and confirmed by successful field tests by others including myself. The Phantom / Inspire do not use the same channel number scheme as normal wifi channel selection and goes through a broader frequency spectrum. While on 2.4ghz the Phantom 3 / inspire are not techniclaly using wifi. The more narrow spectrum he speaks of is likely the truncated 8 channel channels available and not the full 32 channels originally available.

Last edited:
I have put the file into itunes and synced but it still wont work, do you need to open the file first before putting it into itunes, its hard to tell of the video on you tube because he points the camera away at that point, i did notice tho the file he is adding into itunes is called DJI configs, and the file i have added is called DJI config file. So do i need to open it first because if so im knackered because i can not open it. If this is the case does anyone know were you can download it.

You need to extract the config file out of the rar compressed file, you don't open or run the actual config file beyond adding it to iTunes. Adding the rar file without extracting the config file within it wont work. You will need Winrar or other compatible extracting program. Winrar can be downloaded here. http://www.rarlab.com/

When Synching to itunes if you're on a Windows PC you can see the file when opening it. You need to be in the file sharing area of iTunes with the DJI app specifically selected so the file gets copied into that specific app. Once there you click on the right pane, scrolling down to Add File, then browse through your computer to the location you extracted the .DJI.configs file and that is that.

You will not get any prompts regarding overwriting any other files unless you have done this already. Synch your iTunes with your device then you're good to go. If for any reason this doesn't work for you then I suggest deleting and reinstalling the DJI app.

Also backup your ipa file of the DJI app on your PC so you can always revert back to prior versions of the app. Such as the 1.2.0 pilot app or the 2.0 DJI Go app which both work with this. Do a search on your C drive to find the locations of your .ipa files if you don't know how to get to them, and make a backup copy in another location.

Last edited:
You need to extract the config file out of the rar compressed file, you don't open or run the actual config file beyond adding it to iTnues. Adding the rar file without extracting the config file within it wont work.

When Synching to itunes if you're on a Windows PC you can see the file when opening it. You need to be in the file sharing area of iTunes with the DJI app specifically selected so the file gets copied into that specific app. Once there you click on the right pane, scrolling down to Add File, then browse through your computer to the location you extracted the .DJI.configs file and that is that.

You will not get any prompts regarding overwriting any other files unless you have done this already. Synch your iTunes with your device then you're good to go. If for any reason this doesn't work for you then I suggest deleting and reinstalling the DJI app.

Also backup your ipa file of the DJI app on your PC so you can always revert back to prior versions of the app. Such as the 1.2.0 pilot app or the 2.0 DJI Go app which both work with this. Do a search on your C drive to find the locations of your .ipa files if you don't know how to get to them, and make a backup copy in another location.

Cool thank you very much for your help with that, i had a feeling i needed to do something with that file. Once i have worked out how to extract it i will put it on. cheers

You need to establish an iTunes account on your PC if you don't already have one.

The .dji file is transferred to the DJI GO app within iTunes. Nothing really happens within the iPad Air per se.

Go back through this thread and the process is all spelled out.

Here's a video with some of the basics:

:harry
I am also getting positive results with this. Previous I would get intermittent signal breakup when flying around my densely populated neighborhood. I now get clean signal the entire flight.

Same here, I did a test in a location with a lot of traffic on the 13-20 auto channels. The video would not be quite as smooth and reliable as in less RF heavy environments. After this tweak I set channel to 28 and guess what? Perfectly smooth lag free great performance.

Anyway I have added a video walkthrough on doing this tweak on Android OS 5.1.1 on my second gen Nexus 7 (in addition to the one I already have up doing this on iOS) Link below.

Reactions: WoodlakeDrone
Does anybody know were i can download the file to put straight into itunes, i can not extract the file from the download on this computer.

cancel everything i said...i figured it out....you have to slide the screen to the right to see the rest of your channel options!!

it worked, thanks everyone!!

awesome!

His assertion is wrong. Flat out and confirmed by successful field tests by others including myself.

You are behind Ben. I already admitted to that :D

There are a couple post I need to go back and read to make sure I am up to speed.

I did make the mod and tested checking WiFi channels and confirm that the band apparently is expanded both up and down. 802.11 channels 1 through 11 do stay in their same location on the DJI app at approximately 13-19.

I also made a couple test runs flying through two batteries this morning with no improvement in range. However, I think I am in a somewhat quiet WiFi environment compared to a lot of city dwellers and it would only be logical to think I would get less gains than others.

Still leaves me with a couple questions/comments.

• Since it appears this is going out of the traditional "free for all" WiFi band I would assume we are in FCC violation in the US and if DJI originally shipped the app this way they must have been too. That is a question... As I said there were a couple previous post with good info I need to read again.
  • And finally I would assume that DJI has cut the antennas on the Phantom to be resonant in the middle of the band around channel 16/17. The antennas are going to become less efficient as you move off the resonant point so I would think there is a trade off in loss vs what you would gain from being on a cleaner channel. I mentioned this before but I saw a post on another forum where a member used an antenna analyzer on a 3DR product and to be honest if his numbers were correct I was surprised the amount of loss the antenna had just by going to the edge of the bands.
So if that is the case I don't think it's wise to automatically jump clear to one end of the spectrum.

Interesting mod for those with congested WiFi.

Kudos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dome
You are behind Ben. I already admitted to that :D

There are a couple post I need to go back and read to make sure I am up to speed.

I did make the mod and tested checking WiFi channels and confirm that the band apparently is expanded both up and down. 802.11 channels 1 through 11 do stay in their same location on the DJI app at approximately 13-19.

I also made a couple test runs flying through two batteries this morning with no improvement in range. However, I think I am in a somewhat quiet WiFi environment compared to a lot of city dwellers and it would only be logical to think I would get less gains than others.

Still leaves me with a couple questions/comments.

• Since it appears this is going out of the traditional "free for all" WiFi band I would assume we are in FCC violation in the US and if DJI originally shipped the app this way they must have been too. That is a question... As I said there were a couple previous post with good info I need to read again.
  • And finally I would assume that DJI has cut the antennas on the Phantom to be resonant in the middle of the band around channel 16/17. The antennas are going to become less efficient as you move off the resonant point so I would think there is a trade off in loss vs what you would gain from being on a cleaner channel. I mentioned this before but I saw a post on another forum where a member used an antenna analyzer on a 3DR product and to be honest if his numbers were correct I was surprised the amount of loss the antenna had just by going to the edge of the bands.
So if that is the case I don't think it's wise to automatically jump clear to one end of the spectrum.

Interesting mod for those with congested WiFi.

Kudos.

Yeah the added channels are not to add range as myself and other's have previously written. The whole point of the mod is to have a clean channel to transmit on. I don't fly in the middle of no where so having the expanded channels is very useful.

Also as you said these antennas are optimized for a certain frequency range so the sweet spot for optimal performance is likely to be somewhere more in the middle. This is why on my initial flight test I didn't use channel 32, though I did go high up using channel 28. I'll probably test with channel 24 on my next flight.

That is interesting.
Has there been an update of the app already to disable the use of the hack?

Exactly what version of the DJI Go or Pilot app are you using?

I assume you tested with the remote control turned on and connected to the tablet.
Do you see activity on channels above/below 13-20 (green or red bars)?

It still says "Version: 2.0.0" in the appstore, though.

Oddly enough...tested it again today and now it appears to be working. I didnt change anything since last night besides unlocking the device to wake it up.

Is there a way to delete the accidental file I added to the itunes go app? I accidentally added the config file without a dot in the front so now it shows in the folder view of the go app in itunes when ipad is connected. it wont delete.

Just delete and reinstall the app. Then do the mod again. Works better that way! I did the same thing (trying to update with my MBPro and it works best with Windows). This hack is perfect! Going to try channel 28 here in a bit! Seems most stable around here.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Reactions: FourSeventeenAZ
Having read through the majority of this thread I see lots of reports of improved range yet it is unclear if the mod actually uses previously untapped spectrum. You can't get more cake by slicing it differently. Or is it that the hack taps the spectrum around WiFi channel 14 which wasn't used in the 8 channel unmodded version?

Would love to see a spectrum analysis to confirm assumptions.

Reactions: SENC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures