Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

Modified Vision props for original Phantom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syotr, Dec 2, 2013.

  1. syotr

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2013
    Messages:
    896
    Likes Received:
    134
    I modified a pair of Vision props to fit my original Phantom. Only Two of the props had to be modified, the ones with the black centers and left handed threads. I drilled out the threads from the bottom side and continued drilling through the dome on the top of the prop. Then I drilled down from the top with a large bit until the dome was removed. Finally, I ground and hand filed down the top of the prop, plastic and insert, until it was about the same height as the original Phantom props.
    It would have been much easier if I had a lathe that would swing the full diameter of the prop but mine only swings about 3".
    I mounted the props on the Phantom and took it out for a test flight. After warming up, I gave it some throttle gradually. It did not lift off and started to vibrate as I gave it more throttle. I assumed it was just a bit out of balance and gave it even more throttle. It would not even start to lift off.
    Shut down and took it back inside and discovered that I had the props on the wrong motors. The right handed Vision props would screw onto any of my motors, and I had looked at the arrow on top of the prop and matched it with the arrow on the arm. After further inspection, I discovered that there are two arrows on each of the new props, one going clockwise and one going counter-clockwise along with symbols for locking and unlocking.
    Swapped the props around and tried again. All worked well and I was able to make a short uneventful flight. I only had a partially charged battery so I was not able to get any flight time comparison. I could tell immediately that the sound was different and the bird responded slower. It hovered very well with the throttle centered. One pleasant surprise was that it descended much smoother through its own prop wash.
    I will take the modified props back off and balance them, then make another flight with the GoPro mounted to check for jello and to get a flight time test.
     
  2. DeweyAXD

    Joined:
    May 31, 2013
    Messages:
    818
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I look forward to seeing some videos/photos of these. Sounds a big job but fair play for trying it.

    Alternative to needing a lathe would be trimming down the tips of DJI 1038's to make them 9". Very similar effect due to their shape/profile and no risk of hairline stresses to the hub either. I've heard its a good solid and cheap mod for those brave enough.
     
  3. Driffill

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2013
    Messages:
    529
    Likes Received:
    3
    I've wondered this, but I'm never going to try it myself, so before somebody else try's it I want to document my idea here, Dewey I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this mod.

    I'd be interested to see just how well 10" props would go on a phantom??

    (Blank line, to represent time for people to realise that 10" props are too big and will hit each other)

    Yes, I know they won't fit, so . . .
    What if you were to print up a "spacer" to fit between the motor and the phantom chassis to raise two of the opposite motors to allow clearance between the tips?

    I guess there may be an issue with yaw stability, but if it could work, I'd imagine a significant gain in performance, and perhaps flight times!
     
  4. Miika

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2013
    Messages:
    221
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Helsinki, Finland
    My DJI Phantom is v1.2 and it had the props with silver&black bolts. I just received Phantom Vision props and I didnt have need to modify anything to get those to fit.
     
  5. syotr

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2013
    Messages:
    896
    Likes Received:
    134
    Balanced the props and flew the Phantom with Vision blades last night with the GoPro and anti-jello/transmitter mount attached. With smooth flying I got 9 min 15 sec of flight time before the steady blinking red battery warning. Normally I have been getting around 7 or 8 minutes so this is a big improvement in flight time. Video was smooth with no jello.