Modifications - what would you do?

Reaction score
Open discussion about the mods that are available for the P3 (range extenders, dual battery modifications, etc). - this includes personalization of the P3 (paint, stickers and so on)

1. Are there any 'must have' mods and why?
  2. Are there any mods that a person would not want to do and why?
  3. Have you made any modifications to your P3 and are you happy with them? Why or why not?
  4. If pricing was not a concern, what mod would you apply to your P3 and why?
I have had my P3 out three times since December (so about two hours of actual flight time so far) and the one thing that I found off the get go was the white coloring of the craft against the clouds makes it hard to follow when at a distance.

Has anyone found a good color for the bottom of the craft that gives enough contrast for those longer distance flights?

Really? No opinions at all?

My P3S is stock. No mods. I don't need any.
If you need, or want them... go for it. Its all personal preference.
Color is irrelevant beyond about 300ft.

Appreciate your opinion - and yes - it is all a personal preference - that is the whole idea of this thread. :)

Open discussion about the mods that are available for the P3

Thing is, this whole forum mostly talks about mods so there is a huge amount of info on what mods people are doing and how they do it with results after they've done them. You just have to decide what you want and do a quick search on here and ...... BAM!!!!

I have the DBS antennae and the Magic Power Mod. The DBS is a great antennae I highly recommend it. Even if you don't plan to fly far distance it gives improved reception. The Magic Power Mod I'm not so sure about . I've heard might not be necessary in the US. Get another battery also, if you only have one.

The P3S works quite well out of the box and does not "need" any mod. If you use a tablet, a better holder is probably the one thing you will want to look into, with the DJI Inspire 1 mount being a popular choice. Since you're only at your 3rd flight, spend time learning how everything works and explore the various options in DJI GO (in particular about calibration). I would go as far as saying that the best "mod" is really the pilot...

Really? No opinions at all?

Wow man. Chill. You waited a whole 14 minutes and then made a post like this? There are some good people here and they will help, you have to be patient. We have jobs, kids, houses, elderly parents, cars, etc. etc. to take care of too.

Only mod for me so far is to drill a hole in my controller to fit that Inspire 1 style tablet mount.

Oh, I have also used the Magic Power patch. But that's reversible.

I kind of wish I hadn't drilled the hole now. I like to keep things as stock as possible when brand new.

But that's as far as I want to go with mods. I like the P3S as it was designed and intended.

By the way,

Black is the best colour to aid visibility to the bottom of an aircraft.

After years of building drones I sold everything and bought a P3s, why? Because out of the box it dose everything, no mods needed, it can go further and higher than I need these days and once I've learnt to fly it properly and I feel I can justify the price I "might" upgrade to a P4P and pass this one onto my son

After years of building drones I sold everything and bought a P3s, why? Because out of the box it dose everything, no mods needed, it can go further and higher than I need these days and once I've learnt to fly it properly and I feel I can justify the price I "might" upgrade to a P4P and pass this one onto my son
Yeh me p3s good outa box p34k was bad investment,done cheap argtec wifi chop sticks just to have a ok flight,,got sick of issues p4 now...happy flyer now:)

Reactions: KayJay
I have had my P3S since December.
I fitted ARGtek range extender, and Reinforcement plates.
Both modifications easily done, and the ARGtek doesn't require any drilling.

As others say - it works out of box for visual work.

Mods all depend on what you want from it. I wanted good reliable, consistent connection up to 1km ... which Argtek and Icarus have given me. I swapped to a decent tablet and that's it.

I have boosters waiting adaptors to fit which will give reliable, consistent connection well past my present max distance of 2.5km ..... But its not distance I am pushing for. It's connection strength so I can choose without RTH cutting in at times.

Nigel

While not "mods" per-se, landing gear and a gimbal guard are must-haves for me. I like my skin as well.

The Alfa antenna mod is a good one to consider if you like tinkering.. Even if you don't necessarily need to go miles out it's a fun and pretty easy project.

Wow man. Chill. You waited a whole 14 minutes and then made a post like this? There are some good people here and they will help, you have to be patient. We have jobs, kids, houses, elderly parents, cars, etc. etc. to take care of too.

At that point the post had 66 views - I would have thought that there would have been at least one person that had something to say. You are right though, I also have all of the above and more to take care of, and the meaning of the word 'patience' is not lost to me.

My bad! :D

Reactions: Matts175
At that point the post had 66 views - I would have thought that there would have been at least one person that had something to say. You are right though, I also have all of the above and more to take care of, and the meaning of the word 'patience' is not lost to me.

My bad! :D

No problem.

Anyways, IMO one of the first mods should be a tablet holder (and tablet, 7" minimum.) Trying to look at the view and operate DJI go on a 4" phone screen stinks. Then, once your completely comfortable and you want to fly it further... a range mod.

I agree with the small screen part - I have a Pixel XL and much rather use my iPad Air or Asus tablet!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94