Mobile Insanity...

Reaction score
Through about a year's worth of me aggravating the crap out of people, and after many changes and tweaking, I figured I would close out 2017 sharing the final outcome of my favorite build of the year... The Mobile Station.

After building many different mounts and trying many different cables/boosters/remotes/batteries/etc..., this is the best the build has ever been performance wise and has been what I have stuck with. Ended up more simple than it started for sure. Over thinking I was good at. Absolutely love it and wouldn't have been able to do any of it without this forum so thanks to all the guys who take the time to share your creations!

Though shared scatterly in another thread, I figured I'd put the final pics all in one spot to share, and for my own records...

c097e0aa87a22b2d9c5ef01fa02a97de.jpg

817c518f748e6d9b3b13ab28f99b7d4c.jpg

5b98ad37231b8e76f102f9755692bbd8.jpg

c26bc7c9e574b7c8f37ba614ebd052f5.jpg

594c21030cd7c35f9707e02e6a06cec9.jpg

A list of the parts used is in this video description. My video skills obviously needs work but this is about the build...

Last edited:
Last edited:
All this work just so you fly against regulations?
Or he may live in an area similar to where I am that is surrounded by a million 40-50m trees where the standard controller drops its lunch at 100mtrs. I have nothing like his work of art but my boosted set up is the difference between flying it without constant RTH events and a modicum of enjoyment or throwing it in the bin.

Yep, I can see where that would indeed be a problem. Our pine trees around here seem to have their pine needles tuned to 2.4 GHz which is exactly what they need to effectively block most of the signals. AND, they stay on the trees all year long. Such a setup might prove useful after all. It would be fun to experiment with for sure. Thanks for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: KentA and JohnnyB
Or he may live in an area similar to where I am that is surrounded by a million 40-50m trees where the standard controller drops its lunch at 100mtrs. I have nothing like his work of art but my boosted set up is the difference between flying it without constant RTH events and a modicum of enjoyment or throwing it in the bin.
Nailed it. It's not only trees, I live in a bowl shaped valley where I have hills on all 4 sides. I'm not about distance at all or trying to out-do the next person.. and the majority of my flying is low, slow and through the trees. Down the field where I live are power lines. Stock, that's as far as I could get and that's less than 1000'.. the lines would take me out. Now I go past them, all behind the barn and beyond with no cutouts at all. This video shows where 95% of my flying takes place... one place behind the barn, there's even some ground between the bird and me...

The biggest thing for me about this was the builds themselves and the learning process that came with it. That was as much fun for me as the flying afterwards. As a friend said, being able to fry bacon and eggs with your antennas from 30 meters while out in the field is pretty darn cool! Lol

Last edited:
I can't see the junk cars in the video above from where I was setting and there's a house in between.. Plus the power lines... Not to mention I was beyond the crest of the hill... THATS what it's about for me and that's why I love this set-up. Not bragging at all.. just like havin' a little fun.. :)

Nailed it. It's not only trees, I live in a bowl shaped valley where I have hills on all 4 sides. I'm not about distance at all or trying to out-do the next person.. and the majority of my flying is low, slow and through the trees. Down the field where I live are power lines. Stock, that's as far as I could get and that's less than 1000'.. the lines would take me out. Now I go past them, all behind the barn and beyond with no cutouts at all. This video shows where 95% of my flying takes place... one place behind the barn, there's even some ground between the bird and me...

The biggest thing for me about this was the builds themselves and the learning process that came with it. That was as much fun for me as the flying afterwards. As a friend said, being able to fry bacon and eggs from with your antennas from 30 meters while out in the field is pretty darn cool! Lol
And this is one of the reasons I like this forum with people like yourself not accepting sub par performance, whether it be drones, motorbikes or anything else mass produced for the plebs. Cannot see myself going down the road you have as my FPVLR boosted setup with Fatsharks is streets ahead of the original kit, but appreciate you sharing the adventure. Happy Christmas!

Reactions: JohnnyB
Hey speaking of “all this work just to fly against regulations “ where I live and with any Phantom or Mavic Pro you’ll auto land before leaving my property! Not many high trees but plenty of mesquite though and it’s all mine I’m personally checking into power boosters also and our little airport is about 12 miles away so no troubles there, I fly fpv pretty much exclusively using Fat Shark dominator v3, I’ve just yesterday ordered The DJI racing edition goggles!

Hey speaking of “all this work just to fly against regulations “ where I live and with any Phantom or Mavic Pro you’ll auto land before leaving my property! Not many high trees but plenty of mesquite though and it’s all mine I’m personally checking into power boosters also and our little airport is about 12 miles away so no troubles there, I fly fpv pretty much exclusively using Fat Shark dominator v3, I’ve just yesterday ordered The DJI racing edition goggles!
As far as 2.4ghz, these boosters are hard to beat for the money.. $50 (each) on eBay compared to the sunhans $74 (each). In the measurement pic, it's a TX measurement but the kicker for me is the 20dB RX it brings. RX is where it's at. Not kicking the sunhans at all.. they have their place in my set-ups. It's about finding the balance in the location your flying in.
I love the RF-Linx because of the AGC (automatic gain control) and the 20dB RX. The sunhans doesn't have AGC so output is solely based on the input received.. which can very well be the balance you need for your location. The RF-LINX takes an input and automatically adjust it's output to max performance without distorting the signal using built in filters to help filter out interferences. And that's why they just work great with these Omni antennas. But, I can pair the sunhans on the panel antennas and get a great performance in this location also. The difference.... Setting comfortably in a heated car and it 30 degrees outside.. and, it's a great sunshade. :)

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric

The biggest thing for me about this was the builds themselves and the learning process that came with it. That was as much fun for me as the flying afterwards. As a friend said, being able to fry bacon and eggs with your antennas from 30 meters while out in the field is pretty darn cool! Lol

Note that you are also frying your own eggs when flying with this gig. Not all power restrictions are to prevent long distance flights. There is also the issue of exposure to radiation. Unfortunately many people think that things you can't see, can't hurt you.

You can/should read about it here: hps.org

Reactions: JohnnyB
Note that you are also frying your own eggs when flying with this gig. Not all power restrictions are to prevent long distance flights. There is also the issue of exposure to radiation. Unfortunately many people think that things you can't see, can't hurt you.

You can/should read about it here: hps.org
Interesting read. I'll investigate further. Thanks

Reactions: Brent10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez