Minimum requirements for tablet for P3S

wph

Reaction score
This has likely been discussed elsewhere but I would appreciate any sound advice from the techies out there. I'm flying the P3S since Xmas. Love it no crashes. Using iPhone 6 Plus. Would like to upgrade to a tablet. My question is what's the oldest (Cheapest) Apple tablet that will work with the current DJI requirements for my bird. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank
Paul

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You can find a complete list of compatible Apple devices here.

Thanks so much. So if something like GPS is optional, but the device doesn't have it, is there a work around? For example an older mini2?

GPS is only required if you want to use Follow Me or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you have a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could add GPS later by attaching an external GPS receiver to it.

So if I'm using a non GPS enabled tablet and set home point via the DJI app am I really setting the home point?

The phantom will set a homepoint on takeoff. If you do not have a gps tablet, you can't change that homepoint. It all depends on how much money you want to invest really. I have p3s and non gps tablet. And I am content with what it can do. I like the point of interest mode and course lock the best.

So if I'm using a non GPS enabled tablet and set home point via the DJI app am I really setting the home point?
When the home point is auto set by your Phantom after the motors have been started, it uses the location from the GPS receiver inside of your Phantom. When you manually reset the home point, you have the option to reset the home point to your Phantom's current location (using data from the GPS receiver inside of your Phantom) or your current location (using the GPS receiver inside of your mobile device). The latter will fail if your mobile device does not have a GPS receiver and/or GPS data is not available for some reason.

Reactions: Loz
So you can do POI without the GPS enabled tablet? I thought it would need that. Good do know. May I ask what tablet you're using and do you have to connect the tablet to the controller with a cable? I've seen many people with a physical cable and wasn't sure why.

Yes, you can use POI and all of the other Phantom features (other than those I mentioned above).

I have iPad Air 2. Its fast and reliable. No cable connected. Wifi only. I have used my wife's older iPad with gps capability but it lags more and is outdated, slow. Follow me mode did not function correctly on it and it's heavier so I use my non gps iPad. I could use phone but I'm afraid of a call interfering and I like the bigger screen

This has likely been discussed elsewhere but I would appreciate any sound advice from the techies out there. I'm flying the P3S since Xmas. Love it no crashes. Using iPhone 6 Plus. Would like to upgrade to a tablet. My question is what's the oldest (Cheapest) Apple tablet that will work with the current DJI requirements for my bird. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank
Paul

Hey Paul, I'll be testing an iPad Mini 2 wifi only, tethered to my phone with a Bluetooth connection (to leave the wifi open for connection to the Phantom), this afternoon. I'll let you know how it works.

There are good used or refurb deals out there. I got a great deal on a "like new" one right here if you have the time to hunt!

Much more enjoyable with a larger screen than a phone, I was using an iPhone 6.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks. I look forward to your update!

As promised... it's all in another thread but I copied it here for your convenience!

Hey! There's no "I" in TEAM! I think "we" were right!! Weren't we talking about this and it was you that doubted it would work because you were worried the wifi would be dedicated to that Phantom? Which wouldn't leave any wifi for the tether?! And then one of us wise men mentioned Bluetooth?! [emoji12]

So... the story...

Synopsis: It works. You CAN tether your phone to your wifi only device with a Bluetooth connection for internet and still connect your RC to your wifi only device and have real time maps available as you fly.

Caveat: It was cold, so testing was hurried. During the time it took to set up and test connections, the battery was getting "warning level" cold.

Details: I chose to tether my phone and iPad Mini 2 by Bluetooth first, then power everything else up and make the necessary links between the remote and my iPad... and that was a problem.

I had a hard time establishing a connection between the RC and iPad while the Bluetooth connection was established; in fact I couldn't do it at all. I knew I had done it (and flown) in my living room the night before so I knew it was possible... but then I started second guessing whether maybe my iPad was still connected to my home internet during the living room test...

But that didn't make sense, so I decided to start over and shut everything down, powered up the bird, then the RC, established a wifi connection as usual, THEN established a Bluetooth connection to my phone, and from that point forward everything was perfect.

In fact, during today's flight I was actually pleased that another test was successful; I did not have a single "inference" warning either!! This was the first flight since my upgrade to FW 1.8.1.

It gets even better... I remembered to perform a user-initiated Smart RTH, and exactly as the manual says, I had to toggle S2 exactly twice for it to activate. And return to home it did...

Everything was flawless after I established the Bluetooth connection LAST... and here is a screenshot to show that the map was active on a wifi only device without a cached map (this is the first time this iPad has ever been to this location and I have never cached a map of any kind).

Very happy with all this. I know maps can be cached but I do like the idea of live, real time maps being available any time.

Oh, and one more thing... even in the below zero temps, I still got 20+ minutes of flight time, the iPad still had 86% battery, and because I was able to leave my phone in the warmth of my pocket, even that only went from 76 to 70% battery! That has always been a problem. Below zero, my phone will not last an entire flight without a battery backup.

All around, complete success!!
0044139b20b6dc665b1f297dbfd45130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Jeff
Stock P3S

I haven't played with the maps feature yet. Glad it worked..
Gives me the confidence to try it if I get an iPad. Most used ones are still in the 250 $ range it seems. Where were you flying that it was so cold?

I haven't played with the maps feature yet. Glad it worked..
Gives me the confidence to try it if I get an iPad. Most used ones are still in the 250 $ range it seems. Where were you flying that it was so cold?

Ottawa, Ontario. We had a few nice days this week but it dipped below freezing on the weekend again and there's some pretty good wind in the fields. Hands get pretty cold...

Jeff

In Minnesota here! I know what you mean about cold. Have flown in the 20's but it's not nearly as fun! So stupid question for you, what do you use the map for?

In Minnesota here! I know what you mean about cold. Have flown in the 20's but it's not nearly as fun! So stupid question for you, what do you use the map for?

Yes, 20's is no fun. You have to have fingers exposed to control the touch screen, there is a suggestion that there is an increased likelihood of stress cracks under the motors when flying in the cold, everything looks black and white in video (unless you get some gorgeous shots of new fallen snow), batteries die faster... it just loses appeal quickly.

Honestly, I don't use the map for a whole lot... and least I haven't found a whole lot of use for it "yet". I do use the green trail it lays out to orient myself back along my route home, but even the map isn't necessary for that.

It does let you see the terrain you are flying over (if in satellite mode), can let you see roads or buildings that you may not have otherwise known were there, if you know the area it can help you orient yourself with landmarks... it could even help you spot things that you may want to fly over and check out.

But, you can also see a lot of that through the live camera. Reviewing the map ahead of time can also be a good idea... and in a worst case, if your bird should happen to come down, it can help you find it!

It's not a bad idea to have, but not worth the extra cellular capability and data plan for me at least... especially if all this tether talk works out, because I will always have my phone with me. I never expected to be able to have live maps when I bought the iPad so this is a bonus!

Jeff

I wouldn't even go near a ipad unless it has already the A8 processor. I pad air is what I'm using, it runs a A8x. Way too big though. About to get the nividia k1. Has great reviews from phantom owners, supposedly fast as hell and won't break the bank. $200

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not even as a dedicated tablet? I've had no problem with my mini 2 with the A7. What has your experience with the A7 been?

Jeff
I normally fly in my neighborhood, so I'm sure any types of interference can cause video lag. I started with the mini2 it was awful the mini3 was much better and the air2 was perfect.

Leaving my house and being more on the outskirts of town things were much better for the mini3 but it still lagged. Take it I was still within city limits. But geez, what do I got to do? Drive 100miles anytime I want to fly my drone? Lol anoyying! All these tablets were dedicated before I tried them beside the air2 all were wiped clean with only the DJI app in it. No cell, cached maps at home

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen