Mile Club

That is amazing man! Glad I haven't modded mine yet...if I can't see it it's too far IMO. Kinda scary. Thanks for sharing/testing comparison for us. I always seem to lose video feed first and then have no idea what is happening on long flights.

I was as anxious with that bird out there as i was when I first soloed in a Cessna. I know I wasn't at any risk, but I just don't have faith yet.

I was as anxious with that bird out there as i was when I first soloed in a Cessna. I know I wasn't at any risk, but I just don't have faith yet.
Get where you trust your RTH and you will be fine :)

Question to Mandalay...did you ever get your issue sorted out with ITELite panel giving terrible range? I'd like to do this mod, but not if it's going to give me LESS range! Did they ever find if it was a faulty panel (assuming wiring was fine)?

Last edited:
Rodpad...are those last two links the same? Seem to be. Also...what type of windsurfer?

Last edited:
Rodpad...responded in the other thread too...but looked in the pic like your aluminum foil is on the wrong side and it's just cardboard on the side where the antenna pole is? Am I seeing that right? Have I been doing it wrong all this time???

It probably doesn't matter?

That's just it...maybe it DOES matter? I have it the "traditional" way and it doesn't work all that great. Need to really test it though and post back.

Rodpad...responded in the other thread too...but looked in the pic like your aluminum foil is on the wrong side and it's just cardboard on the side where the antenna pole is? Am I seeing that right? Have I been doing it wrong all this time???

lol yeah you are actually right. its literally just blocking the signal, not directing it.

This is very cool. When my piloting confidence reaches a good point I will have to try this.

Question to Mandalay...did you ever get your issue sorted out with ITELite panel giving terrible range? I'd like to do this mod, but not if it's going to give me LESS range! Did they ever find if it was a faulty panel (assuming wiring was fine)?
I have tried in a more open area as you can see but the best I got was 4515 feet. The cables don't make much difference for me. I tried both thin cables that came with the kit and the thick ones recommended by @dirkclod. I think I'll contact @DBS to see if there are solutions to this problem. It's just a bit better than stock antenna but not 2-3x like other members here. So do it at your own risk.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452039819.405266.jpg

I have tried in a more open area as you can see but the best I got was 4515 feet. The cables don't make much difference for me. I tried both thin cables that came with the kit and the thick ones recommended by @dirkclod. I think I'll contact @DBS to see if there are solutions to this problem. It's just a bit better than stock antenna but not 2-3x like other members here. So do it at your own risk.
View attachment 39539

Have you tired a different open area ? I would think you could get more than that. I've got 13k plus with trees all around.

Mandalay I'm just not sure what your issue is but maybe DBS will shed some light on it .I'm still getting good results from mine
and just got in from a sunset run and was doing good and then lost it and RTH for some and got it back . 5.8 antennas I had forgot
to tighten up good and had shifted back . I had good signals and think I woulda got a good bit more.
Next time maybe ;)
IMG_2163.JPG

Reactions: GaDrone
Have you tired a different open area ? I would think you could get more than that. I've got 13k plus with trees all around.
I have tried other open places already. But this has been the best place so far for me. I was basically flying away from interference areas. Right after the flight posted above, I managed to push it to 4683 feet. So I'll just keep trying and hopefully @DBS can help resolve it.

Mandalay I'm just not sure what your issue is but maybe DBS will shed some light on it .I'm still getting good results from mine
and just got in from a sunset run and was doing good and then lost it and RTH for some and got it back . 5.8 antennas I had forgot
to tighten up good and had shifted back . I had good signals and think I woulda got a good bit more.
Next time maybe ;)
View attachment 39550
I'm drooling [emoji2] Not sure if I want to do the dipoles mod since they are fairly expensive for a set of 4.

I'm drooling [emoji2] Not sure if I want to do the dipoles mod since they are fairly expensive for a set of 4.

I think you can get close to maxing the battery out without them.

Next time maybe ;)
View attachment 39550

Dirkclod what was your battery % at landing ?

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav