1.6 miles with p3s

Reaction score
Today I went 1.6 miles with my p3s with a simple home made windsurfer I printed out a template from tom tech time and modified it for the p3s and I have been using aluminum foil wrapped around the antenna but decided to try this and doubled my distance got 8800 feet could have probably gone a little further but decide to head back because I was over water

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What does the setup look like? I'm waiting for my windsurfer to come in the mail

What does the setup look like? I'm waiting for my windsurfer to come in the mail
Just a piece of card board with aluminum foil over it and a piece of paper in the middle with a hole to hold it on the antenna

Look up toms tech time windsurfer on YouTube and he has link to the template

I do not know how it affects range, but I got more distance with toms tech paper windsurfer than with my plastic home made.
bobby 2001 are you in CE mode?

Last edited:
I do not know how it affects range, but I got more distance with toms tech paper windsurfer than with my plastic home made.
bobby 2001 are you in CE mode?
I'm not sure

Are you getting video feed out to 1.6 miles or just the transmitter. I just recently joined back up for the forums. Everything appeared fine when I first got my new phantom a few weeks ago, then I did a firmware update and now I cant even get 400 feet out of it when the video and transmitter cut out. So frustrating

Are you getting video feed out to 1.6 miles or just the transmitter. I just recently joined back up for the forums. Everything appeared fine when I first got my new phantom a few weeks ago, then I did a firmware update and now I cant even get 400 feet out of it when the video and transmitter cut out. So frustrating
I can see the video the whole time until it goings into return to home and then I lose it for a few seconds while it turns around

Holy crap that is awesome. Something is defintely wrong with mine. I know it is stock but now I am barely getting 300 feet out of it straight up no trees

Is it on beginner mode

nope, just tried relinking the TX and that did not help. Does a new battery have any effect on it? I did buy a new battery but it is a standard OEM phantom battery. The only thing different from last week is the firmware upgrade.

You may want to check you antenna wire inside. I got about 8k a couple weeks ago on my standard. Stock only. No windsurfer. Over water will do it as there is very very little interference. Clear video the entire way.

Reactions: Squirrel!

So the Ce vs FCC modes. I know there's the potentiometer inside the controller. BUT in the dji go app. Does the restriction to 500 meters change once you turn the screw in the controller?? Going to be adding some antenaes this evening and right now the app maxes me out at 500 meters.

So the Ce vs FCC modes. I know there's the potentiometer inside the controller. BUT in the dji go app. Does the restriction to 500 meters change once you turn the screw in the controller?? Going to be adding some antenaes this evening and right now the app maxes me out at 500 meters.
From what I've read, the app controls the remote's mode (CE vs. FCC) by way of GPS location. I'm not familiar with adjusting the potentiometer.

Also, I have had two different remotes bound to my bird; the original and an extra I picked up for the mod (still waiting for the DBS kit). My original has the wires glued tight inside making the separation of the halves difficult while the other didn't. I had very respectable range with my original with a windsurfer max distance of 7949 feet. However, the one I just bought gives me a 9033 foot range without the windsurfer and I maintained control. (Scary as hell hoping you don't need to rely on RTH function at that range.) My best results have always been a lower altitude as well, like 100 feet or less.

My point is, there seems to be quite a bit of variation in range and control depending on the equipment. That said, if you only get 300 feet out, there may be an equipment issue. I'd see if you have a buddy who would let you try binding their remote to your bird to try and narrow down the cause. I'd also try a different phone or tablet as well.

You may want to check you antenna wire inside. I got about 8k a couple weeks ago on my standard. Stock only. No windsurfer. Over water will do it as there is very very little interference. Clear video the entire way.

Tony, what height did you fly at?

I'm very new to all of this. So in the app, I can not change distance to anything further than 500 meters. Just skimming through the posts, I read something about the remote being defaulted to CE mode. Which limits distance to 500 meters. Then someone posted screen shots from a manual stating there was a screw inside the remote. Turning it full clockwise would set it to FCC mode. I just had mine open and did not see a screw anywhere. Ugh just re read it and it's for the phantom 2 remotes. So everyone with the standard, how are they getting 1500 plus feet distance? If the app sets a limit to 1500 feet give or take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike OMeara
What is this "CE" mode?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl