Mavic Release Discussion

Skip ahead to 8:40 if you want to go directly to image comparisons:

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Clip2net_160928080547.png

Reactions: Reed L
Check out this video at 8:45 is this what your talking about?
Clip2net_160928080547.png

Yes, that and other test videos I've seen. On another site I saw some actual raw footage which looked much sharper, which lends credence to the slightly-out-of-focus theory. By the way, you have to watch this in 1080p or 4k to see the difference:

Dropbox - DJI_0028.MP4

Last edited:
I guess nothing much except that one can use the bigger tablet in controlling it during flight.

Doesn't look like a sun shade will be easily installed either which is just silly to me. You'd think a company would be paying attention to forums like this and know that most people use them and maybe make something standard to help with the sun.

Doesn't look like a sun shade will be easily installed either which is just silly to me. You'd think a company would be paying attention to forums like this and know that most people use them and maybe make something standard to help with the sun.
I don't see the issue.
HjaV6.jpg

After watching Casey's film above, you sure can see the difference in the camera quality between the P4 and the Mav. The P4 is crisp where the Mav is blurred a lot when compared. It will do just fine for the average Joe but the P4 is still a lot cleaner and has great ND filters. They both have their places as the Mav is more portable but I love the camera quality that I have now with my Phantom set ups.

I do wedding and event photography (Canon 5d MkIII, various zoom and prime lenses, lighting, etc) and bought the P4 to add to my service options for clients. As such, only the highest picture quality will work. Granted, there are higher-end drones out there with better cameras, but some are simply too big and too loud and/or cost-prohibitive for a freelancer like me.
Given the choice between all best scenarios, the P4 is the winner and I doubt the Mavik will be purchased by many pro photographers and videographers. They'll be using the Inspire or Phantom.
The Mavik is more for the Vlog folks who want to make sure everyone knows what they're doing every minute of their waking life.

Last edited:
Reactions: treeboy
Absolutely nothing -- as far as I can tell. Personally, I'm just a bit miffed that I dropped the cash on the P4. Had I known this would be released in October, I definitely would have waited.

I bought a P4 2 months ago.

Things I like better about the P4:

Higher off the ground when landing - especially in sand or dirt.

Faster

Ability to use a tablet

That said, I will likely pick one up a few months after it is released.

Reactions: bumblebee14
I bought a P4 2 months ago.

Things I like better about the P4:

Higher off the ground when landing - especially in sand or dirt.

Faster

Ability to use a tablet

That said, I will likely pick one up a few months after it is released.
No tip overs with the wide stance therefore, you can take off and land from surfaces that are anything but level.

Reactions: Fplvert and flpholt
I do wedding and event photography (Canon 5d MkIII, various zoom and prime lenses, lighting, etc) and bought the P4 to add to my service options for clients. As such, only the highest picture quality will work. Granted, there are higher-end drones out there with better cameras, but some are simply too big and too loud and/or cost-prohibitive for a freelancer like me.
Given the choice between all best scenarios, the P4 is the winner and I doubt it will be purchased by many pro photographers and videographers. They'll be using the Inspire or Phantom.
The Mavik is more for the Vlog folks who want to make sure everyone knows what they're doing every minute of their waking life.

I appreciate your point of view (and I share your disdain for "Vlog folks," believe me), but I don't agree with your assessment of the Mavic. Granted, I've obviously not seen or flown one personally yet, but from the research I've done, it's everything the P4 is -- and more. It's the best of both worlds. I would be very surprised if the camera on the Mavic were not superior to the one on the P4. Plus, it's so much smaller, has a far superior form factor, better obstacle avoidance technology, an awesome proprietary controller, better range, better FPV flying, new and improved video transmission technology, and the list goes on and on.

I just see no reason whatsoever for DJI to even sell the Phantoms any more unless they literally cut their prices to 1/3 of what they are selling for now.

It makes me mad, too, because I have a lot invested in my Phantom. 4 batteries, extra charger, charging station, carrying case, gimbal protector, range amplifiers, etc.

Reactions: dtviewer
Is this based on actual experience, or just hollow opinion? At least one actual hands-on video has claimed the exact opposite.
Hiya not hollow opinion but just from the above video clip it just sounds way too hollow and light. What im trying to say is its not the same as the p4. Different class drone. Typical marketing have every one think it will take over from the phantom, take huge orders and then next year the new phantom is the bees knees and it will start all over again :)

Reactions: treeboy
just from the above video clip
So, hollow opinion then. We have a recording of someone with the unit in their hand that is saying the exact opposite. You're welcome to disagree with him - he could certainly be completely full of crap - but until you have tactile experience, you probably shouldn't be throwing around blind assertions as fact.

We're so close to Christmas I suspect the price will drop for those willing to wait - and the same applies to the Gopro Karma.

I've done less than 40 flights on my P3S, most of them less than 7 minutes and less than 75 yard distance. Only recently have I started to fly the thing, rather than hovering up high and swiveling, and must say it's fun - scary but fun!

I can still get a huge amount of enjoyment out of my Phantom, so I shall stick it up for sale, see what happens but I'm not too worried. If it sells for good money I'll order a Mavic, if not I intend having a lot of fun with the Phantom anyway, as it's still the same bird that I bought.

Perhaps more to the point, I can relax a bit with 'Fanny', as I know a superior replacement is available - and will get cheaper the longer I wait :) But yeah, I will be buying a Mavic sooner or later, I'm just not in a huge rush, as I already have a drone that fits in a backpack, albeit with no room for anything else... I can put my camping gear in my bike's panniers for now anyway ;)

Bottom line, nobody has taken away our Phantoms, they've just given us the opportunity to buy something smaller and arguably better later.

So, hollow opinion then. We have a recording of someone with the unit in their hand that is saying the exact opposite. You're welcome to disagree with him - he could certainly be completely full of crap - but until you have tactile experience, you probably shouldn't be throwing around blind assertions as fact.
Hiya,
Well as far as I know I never used the word fact but lets see how it goes and I do hope its everything they say it will be :)

I appreciate your point of view (and I share your disdain for "Vlog folks," believe me), but I don't agree with your assessment of the Mavic. Granted, I've obviously not seen or flown one personally yet, but from the research I've done, it's everything the P4 is -- and more. It's the best of both worlds. I would be very surprised if the camera on the Mavic were not superior to the one on the P4. Plus, it's so much smaller, has a far superior form factor, better obstacle avoidance technology, an awesome proprietary controller, better range, better FPV flying, new and improved video transmission technology, and the list goes on and on.

I just see no reason whatsoever for DJI to even sell the Phantoms any more unless they literally cut their prices to 1/3 of what they are selling for now.

It makes me mad, too, because I have a lot invested in my Phantom. 4 batteries, extra charger, charging station, carrying case, gimbal protector, range amplifiers, etc.
Visit this thread over at DJI Forum

I have 3 phantoms and at least 4 other quads. All say to start up on level surface. Same thing applies to my 2 gimbals.
I've been wrong before however, I don't think DJI is referring to gyros etc, perhaps for safety reasons as it may lurch a bit depending on the angle before straightening itself out.

Back in the earlier Phantom days you had to take off from a level surface, but its less of a problem these days. If you think about it its quite common for people to hand launch, launch from boats etc. Sure it has to be level enough not to tip over when the motors spin up but I don't think it has to be spirit level level.

I have my doubts on the quality of the camera compared with the Phantom series but I think you balance that with the convenience and portability of it and its a winning product.

I certainly placed an order!

I've been wrong before however, I don't think DJI is referring to gyros etc, perhaps for safety reasons as it may lurch a bit depending on the angle before straightening itself out.
When gyros start up, they have to know what is level . If on start up and not level, they can fly tilted.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94