Mavic Release Discussion

This looks like a better choice for me over Karma. But I have one reservation right now - it looks like Karma has "boat mode" (taking off from moving surfaces). Anyone know if Mavic has this?

Amazon doesn't sell it directly yet. Comes from some Hobby Store I know nothing about without free shipping. Prefer to order from DJI.
The Official DJI store is selling both options on Amazon. My ship date was Early November.
EDIT: Cancelled my DJI Store order. Just got it from an authorized seller on Amazon with an Oct. 3 - 6 ship date! Sweet! I want this for an upcoming trip I am taking so timing couldn't be better! :)

Last edited:
How does it perform in the wind? How does it perform in the wind? How does it perform in the wind? Can you add filters to lens? And how does it perform in the wind?

Reactions: Tc3jg
Looks like a bad *** second drive to have or maybe just another to add to the collection. But a phantom replacement I don't so... being small and lightweight it will never handle the wind as good as a phantom not to mention it will be harder to see. And being stuck using your phone to view it is kinds lame. I love using my iPad mini. That being said I still want one and think it will make a nice addition to the family[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Really frustrates me that certain features seem to be entirely software driven and yet are not immediately made available to all DJI owners. I'm thinking specifically about the new hyper accurate landing system. If all it does is snap a pic and then compare when landing, why can't the Phantom 3/4 do it? If Apple releases a new version of iOS to go with their new phone, they open the OS to all users, assuming it is hardware compatible.

Reactions: Hammy
Looks like a bad *** second drive to have or maybe just another to add to the collection. But a phantom replacement I don't so... being small and lightweight it will never handle the wind as good as a phantom not to mention it will be harder to see. And being stuck using your phone to view it is kinds lame. I love using my iPad mini. That being said I still want one and think it will make a nice addition to the family[emoji106]

On the contrary, it will be easier to see due to the color. The open size is as wide as a Phantom, just not as tall.

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.09.55 PM✨.png

The DJI store must have had a deal with Amazon? I bought mine off amazon.

Does it come with the goggles? I don't see another battery option either.

This thing just KILLED THE KARMA! You'd be crazy to buy a Karma after this release!

Cool. The launch video looked impressive. I'm loving the compact size and would make travel drone videos a no-brainer.

Looking forward to hearing some real world experiences on PP in the upcoming weeks. :)

ND filter, adjustable aperture or or very low ISO option or something to get me roughly 1/50"-1/60" is a must I think. I'm pretty sure the UV filter ring is removable on the Mavic, they'd be stupid not to, no?

The DJI store must have had a deal with Amazon? I bought mine off amazon.

Does it come with the goggles? I don't see another battery option either.

This thing just KILLED THE KARMA! You'd be crazy to buy a Karma after this release!

Good point, but the other two are still relevant problems...

Im a bit disappointed it hasn't got obstacle avoidance on the sides and rear, last I checked drones don't only fly forwards.

Reactions: AAPhoto
On another board, comments (generally all favorable) are flying fast and furious. There's speculation that Karma might be DOA. No one (certainly not me) saw any of this coming. If the Mavic does what it says it'll, do, then for the price point, all I can say is OMG! And if I wanted to guarantee a divorce, I'd let my wife know what I was thinking right now,.
Karma is impressive, it should be, it took 2.5 yrs from the first rumor to finally hit the market.
I still LOVE the DJI products. unfortunately a detactable camera/gimble with stick wasn't thought of. Karma has that very attractive feature. Karma has a late start in the Drone business and the 1st one did not crush competion.
I was ready other discussion thread and someone just received delivery of P4 and 2 days later he finds the current price dropped and it's "obsolete" . That's technology for ya!!

Well, the Mavic release was very slick, compared with the over excitable Karma, but despite all the presentation, the Mavic has kicked the Karma into the long grass. I am a P2V to P4 convert, the Mavic offers portability, but not much else that attracts me, however , I would have gone the P2 to Mavic route, If I had known!

78-degree field view vs p3p's 94-degree field of view....That is basically the only upside I see on the older models.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 328
Reactions: Tc3jg
OK Jake, can we go ahead and get the Mavic leaderboard started now. This is going to be fun[emoji41]

Reactions: auen1
At first glance it looks as if DJI has cannibalized its Phantom line. As a recent P4 owner - and a photographer first - I am not going to rush out the door for the Mavic. But if I were buying for the first time, I would. The lens is faster (f/2) which is a big deal for low light performance but it is also a bit less wide (28 mm). What would have made a decisive difference to me is a higher resolution sensor (say, 24MP). No doubt we will see higher res sensors in the releases next year.

Reactions: liketogethigh
The Official DJI store is selling both options on Amazon. My ship date was Early November.
EDIT: Cancelled my DJI Store order. Just got it from an authorized seller on Amazon with an Oct. 3 - 6 ship date! Sweet! I want this for an upcoming trip I am taking so timing couldn't be better! :)
Can you share the link please? I just got mine from B&H but there's no shipping time frame. Oct3-6 will be sweeet!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka