Manual Land - IMO

Reaction score
Ok, shoot me now...but I don't like the default controls for manual landing. Why can't DJI just put a button somewhere on the RC to cut off the engines. I realize it could be trouble since one could accidentally push that button and it could fall from the sky. But they can put a fail safe feature that it will not activate unless it is on the ground. Just my opinion.

Just hold the left stick all the way down once it's on the ground and the engines will shut down.

It not in the manual that I saw, but it works. I using both sticks is a recipe for disaster imho

Ya, whatever your throttle stick is hold it down once on the ground. I personally like the auto land feature. Seems softer than manually doing it. I notice when manually landing that the drone likes to get close to the ground and then go up a little bit. Can mess with the nerves.

Left stick down, hold it for 3 seconds whether hand catching or landing. It makes landing smooth -
Watch the rc controller at the end -

Actually they do, Im just reading the manual for the first time and noticed it in there, page 46, method 2. I did it like that on my first test flight, purely from intuition.
Yup...I did read the manual but somehow my brain was locked on method 1 (my fault) because that's how you start up the motors as well. DJI should have just left Method 1 out of the manual. Wondering what their reason is. If you don't get the CSC just right, it could get ugly. Method 2 is definitely the best way to land it manually. Did it yesterday every time I landed and it seems fail safe.

Reactions: Reed L
Saying its 'fail safe' actually makes me wonder how it works in detail, like would it require a sonar reading? Phantom 3 standard doesnt have sonar, or does it? Im just thinking of how this could go wrong: imagine you're in a strong updraft / thermal, and you pull the throttle stick to descend. But because of the updraft that just happens to match your descend rate, your actual altitude remains steady and the phantom thinks its landed ? Far fetched, I'll admit, but it does make me curious about the inner workings.

Either way, the CSC method should most definitely be mentioned and preferably in large bold fonts. Not because you want to use it after landing, but because you might accidentally do it in flight while attempting something resembling aerobatics. Disarming by sticks is one of the first things I disable on my 250 class mini quads for that exact reason. I always arm/disarm with a switch and sticky throttle (ie can only arm and disarm with throttle at zero).

Yup...I did read the manual but somehow my brain was locked on method 1 (my fault) because that's how you start up the motors as well. DJI should have just left Method 1 out of the manual. Wondering what their reason is. If you don't get the CSC just right, it could get ugly. Method 2 is definitely the best way to land it manually. Did it yesterday every time I landed and it seems fail safe.
Using only left stick down to stop the motors is normally one of the things listed in all of the "I'm new, what are some tips?" threads we see so often. We learned way back when that using CSC to stop the motors tends to cause tip overs, so left stick down is the widely suggested method.

On a related topic, something else asked and answered over and over is "will left stick fully down stop your motors while in flight?" No, it will only stop your motors when the P3 has stopped descending by being already on the ground (landed) or in your hand via hand catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
I wonder why DJI didn't mention this? It's much easier than what they say in the manual. Sonic is right, it's a recipe for disaster.
You need to read the manual (RTFM) to know what's inside it. ;-)

Perhaps consider doing that today... Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Reed L
The CSC shut down, was a carry over, from previous models.
Somebody got lazy and copied parts of the old manual without first verifying that all was still pertinent/equal. It was not.
Then new folks enter the picture, take the written word as gospel and get turned upside down upon landing.
One of my very favorite suggestions to new folks is to RTFM!!
Hopefully, in the future proof readers will know what to include or remove in new editions.
Memorization, can only get better with reading them manuals over and over ~ second nature... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl