magnetic antenna mounts for my car

Reaction score
I got these mounts from eBay. They have a magnetic base. I am going to use them to attach to the roof of my car and run the antenna wire inside the car, attach the cables to my remote, close the door and fly from inside my car in the air conditioning or heat. This will also do away with the sun glare.
They were $8.00 each and have a ten foot cable.
I won't do this every time I fly. But if I go somewhere where it seems like it would be helpful I will.
I also got these amplifiers and made a mount to attach them and the batteries to. Then wired in the battery terminals. I can attach this to my remote. Or use it with the magnetic antenna mounts.
I haven't tried the antenna mounts yet, but I have tried the amplifiers. I took a quick flight and went out a little over two miles and never lost a single signal bar. I even flew out a few hundred yards behind some trees in a field and was able to lower my altitude to almost touch the ground without loosing signal. So they penetrate pretty good with the Alfa antennas.
I won't use this setup much. I just like to experiment.[emoji12]
1494739997033.jpg
1494740005195.jpg
1494740009299.jpg
1494740014070.jpg
1494740020161.jpg
1494740026443.jpg
1494740030579.jpg

Very cool idea, but how are you going to rotate them as the drone move laterally?

Very cool idea, but how are you going to rotate them as the drone move laterally?
I won't. If I use these it will just be for forward flying. With panel antennas, the farther out you fly, the more lateral you can go.

10 feet of exactly which kind of cable? That could potentially have a big dbm loss per foot if it's not the right kind. Try to keep it only as long as you need it to be.

low-loss_chart.jpg

Also, If this is for exclusive use in a car.... forget the little lipo batteries and just put a cigarette lighter socket end of the cord on the amps. Unlimited power and no more worrying about charging the lipos.... or forgetting to. LOL

31wW9GnDb1L.jpg

P.S. I have those exact amps on my WiFi router out in my garage..... and they absolutely kick butt!!! My neighbors just use my WiFi now, because mine blows theirs away. LOL. I told them to just go ahead and get theirs shut off and they can use mine exclusively.

Last edited:
P.S. I have those exact amps on my WiFi router out in my garage..... and they absolutely kick butt!!! My neighbors just use my WiFi now, because mine blows there's away. LOL. I told them to just go ahead and get theirs shut off and they can use mine exclusively.
Yeah they do. And they were cheap.[emoji23]

10 feet of exactly which kind of cable? That could potentially have a big dbm loss per foot if it's not the right kind. Try to keep it only as long as you need it to be.

low-loss_chart.jpg

Also, If this is for exclusive use in a car.... forget the little lipo batteries and just put a cigarette lighter socket end of the cord on the amps. Unlimited power and no more worrying about charging the lipos.... or forgetting to. LOL

31wW9GnDb1L.jpg
I'm not sure. But I'm not to worried about dbm loss. It's just something to tinker with.

Also, I can set these antennas outside my second floor window and fly sitting at my window from inside my house. I'm high up and should get a good line of sight .[emoji39]

Reactions: Matts175
Also, I can set these antennas outside my second floor window and fly sitting at my window from inside my house. I'm high up and should get a good line of sight .[emoji39]

Hi HWCM, can you provide links to where you buy the amplifiers and batteries? How do you charge the batteries?

Thanks!

Hi HWCM, can you provide links to where you buy the amplifiers and batteries? How do you charge the batteries?

Thanks!
I got the amplifiers from eBay. But you can get them on Amazon too. The batteries are just small 1000mah lipo batteries. They are charged with a standard hobby balance battery charger that you can find just about anywhere. I have a few other quads that take different size lipos and they all charge with the balance charger.
To use the batteries with the amplifiers, I have to cut the power cord that came with the amplifiers that plugged into the wall outlet, then solder on the JST (red connector) to match the lipo battery connector.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl