Lost signal (but not really)

I guess I'd rather lose just video before losing actual control so I'm not too worried about it. I just thought the red light meant complete disconnection and was confused as to why I was able to control it.

Is it something wrong though or is it just going out of range?
Just going out of range, or interference, what is the distance this is occurring?

Mine varies depending on which direction I fly. If I fly north of my house it happens at about 1000'. If i fly west, i've reached 2600'.

How many signals are at play here? Controller to Phantom, Phantom to controller and phantom to phone?

I would say 3.

Remote to Phantom (Controlling Phantom)
5.725 GHz - 5.825 GHz

Phantom to Remote (Live Video and Data \ Telemetry)
2.400 GHz - 2.483 GHz

I look at as the Remote is in the middle. Remote sends RF signals not data to the Phantom just like any standard RC car / boat / plane.

The Phantom sends data back to the remote same frequency as WiFi. Your mobile device can connect to your remote with out the Phantom powered on. So the remote also has it own WiFi signal. That's why a view the remote as in the middle. The remote passes the Live Video and Data to your mobile device.

Reactions: WilliamM
Mine varies depending on which direction I fly. If I fly north of my house it happens at about 1000'. If i fly west, i've reached 2600'.
That's more than double by changing your direction.
Interference, lots of factors, Wifi networks is usually part of it.

Ok it makes sense then. Not an issue with anything merely losing connection most likely due to interference. It Just didn't make sense to me at first that it could lose connection from p3 to rc but not also lose connection from rc to p3. Good info.

Ok it makes sense then. Not an issue with anything merely losing connection most likely due to interference. It Just didn't make sense to me at first that it could lose connection from p3 to rc but not also lose connection from rc to p3. Good info.
Just realized that is was your post meant (you lost half of your signal)
:)

Live with it, no GPS, no indication of battery levels, etc.
My pro does it hovering at 3' in front of me. Glad I'm not trying to make a living with it.
So.....toss a coin

WTF I'm saying is in my opinion there is a software/firmware problem than is not being addressed. The comment that indicates that it's just the nature of the game is B/S! WTF I'm saying is loss of signal during flight(knowing it's gonna happen) is a foolish and dangerous way to operate.

I just got my P3S, never flown it yet, props are not on yet, but this has happened twice during testing in the house, 2 meters TX to drone. Then I moved to another room - and it didn't happen anymore. Same thing, phone goes gray, TX led - red. What's weird is that it doesn't try to reconnect. I have 16 networks visible from my house, including 2 of mine, plus one repeater, so 3 sources in the house.

Otherwise it's very logical. To keep it affordable DJI used wifi to transmit video from drone. Implementing data and video transmission would be much more complicated and expensive otherwise. Wifi is not for long distances, and prone to interference. I'm surprised it goes that far, but not surprised it can disconnect in urban area. I hope it won't do it too often for me... And I'd hate it if it initiated RTH every time it loses wifi. So it's good you can still control it and continue to shoot video, hopefully. And it's not wise (and illegal in Canada) to let it fly out of visual range. When it happens, can you reconnect with your phone? What would be a good thing, is if it reconnected when it gets the signal (when you fly closer) - that could be fixable via software/firmware. I will test that. So, if it can reconnect - everything as it should be, don't expect miracles from wifi range. If it can't reconnect - that is something DJI should fix.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl