Lost on what to do (remote signal issue)

Reaction score
So I am having serious issues with my drone losing signal and I am hoping someone here can at least point me in the right direct...

I am currently learning to fly/film on a Phantom 3S while also studying for my 107. So with that said, I am pretty new (as in like 3 hours of flight time).

I love to hike and take my drone with me when I travel. So earlier in the week I took it into the Mountains about an hour outside San Diego. It lost signal way earlier then it should. I did not think much of it at the time and just assumed there was some interference. Well today I took it into a different mountain and it did not even make it 200 feet away without losing signal. Now ever since it will go in and out of signal with the remote right next to it!

As I type this I am sitting in my hotel room with the drone and remote on, next to each other, and I can watch it go in and out of good signal, to weak signal, to no signal. I have tried multiple batteries and made sure both have a good charge...

Any ideas on what I should do or where to look for answers? Thanks in advance.

Oh. The LG V20. But I have been using the same phone since I have owned it...Can that matter?

Personally I think there is a global problem with the P3S that started about a month and a bit ago. Mine flew perfectly for 4 months then over night it started losing signal at very close range. Since then there have been numerous P3S pilots reporting similar issues, which all started roughly at the same time. I think DJI should take a serious look at this. I have even wondered if the unit has a life span of good signal, then suddenly it drops away almost forcing us to splash out $$ on an upgrade to a better model.

@Rosey , worked fine, now it don't?
If so any firmware changes in between.

Rod

Personally I think there is a global problem with the P3S that started about a month and a bit ago. Mine flew perfectly for 4 months then over night it started losing signal at very close range. Since then there have been numerous P3S pilots reporting similar issues, which all started roughly at the same time. I think DJI should take a serious look at this. I have even wondered if the unit has a life span of good signal, then suddenly it drops away almost forcing us to splash out $$ on an upgrade to a better model.

You better believe it, I call it engineered obsolescence.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I did not have any firmware changes but did try to force the latest firmware just in case that was an issue..it didn't change anything.

I called DJI, waited an hour to talk to a human, and after 5 minutes of diagnosing it (I don't think the guy on the other line has ever actually touched a phantom) they told me its still under warranty and I need to send it in. They sent me a shipping label and it has been sent to them..we will see what they say.

I was assured if it was replaced that it would be with a new one..I told them I did not want a refurb model on something that is not even 90 days old. Now I just need to figure out how to tell if it is a refurb when it shows up so I know they are not lying.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I did not have any firmware changes but did try to force the latest firmware just in case that was an issue..it didn't change anything.

I called DJI, waited an hour to talk to a human, and after 5 minutes of diagnosing it (I don't think the guy on the other line has ever actually touched a phantom) they told me its still under warranty and I need to send it in. They sent me a shipping label and it has been sent to them..we will see what they say.

I was assured if it was replaced that it would be with a new one..I told them I did not want a refurb model on something that is not even 90 days old. Now I just need to figure out how to tell if it is a refurb when it shows up so I know they are not lying.
Refurbish one will have a R on it I think by serial number:)

Reactions: Rosey
Did you send in your remote also?

#1 Just hope you get one that works!
#2 When you first get it back, you could down load the flight data, .dat files from the Phantom, even though I haven't tried to view them, you might get an idea if something was odd by the date time of the files and would have a copy of them. I know they can be viewed, one of those many things I haven't done yet.

Anybody else confirm the R?

Rod

Reactions: Rosey
Did you send in your remote also?

#1 Just hope you get one that works!
#2 When you first get it back, you could down load the flight data, .dat files from the Phantom, even though I haven't tried to view them, you might get an idea if something was odd by the date time of the files and would have a copy of them. I know they can be viewed, one of those many things I haven't done yet.

Anybody else confirm the R?

Rod
Thanks for the input. I actually downloaded the logs before sending it.

The dat files from the Phantom?
or the sd card in the camera of the Phantom?

Rod

I had the same problem as you with my P3S, but in my case, I lost it :((( in every flight my drone lost signal but he always RTH, last time it got dissconected and I never found it again :( so you need to be careful and try to fix that problem asap, otherwise you are in high risk off losing your drone like me

I had the same problem as you with my P3S, but in my case, I lost it :((( in every flight my drone lost signal but he always RTH, last time it got dissconected and I never found it again :( so you need to be careful and try to fix that problem asap, otherwise you are in high risk off losing your drone like me
You didn't quote anybody, who was this to.
There was some issues with DJI-Go an android, what were you using and did you upload your flight log from your mobile device anywhere.

Rod

This was the last flight of my drone, at that point it got dissconected and all I saw in my phone was N/A
I tried to activate RTH but it didn't work...

d5956f08f5489f37d007b9cef2521ad1.jpg

e80253dc8c5e9f258714fed1bfe42406.jpg

Last edited:
You didn't quote anybody, who was this to.
There was some issues with DJI-Go an android, what were you using and did you upload your flight log from your mobile device anywhere.

Rod

I answer you without quoting you again [emoji85]

We are taking over this thread,
If you want to look for your Phantom, start a new thread in lost and found.
upload the .txt file of your flight log, that is on your mobile device.
If you don't know how to do that. Just start a thread in lost and found anyway.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl