Lost my Vision+need help narrowing the search!

Reaction score
To start off I want to say thank you to “Ilovecoffee” for the modification on the app. I have had some incredible flights and gone extremely farther than ever expected. But of course with that being said… I have lost my drone. I have been looking for the past week and have a couple of questions that would help narrow my search… First I was wondering if there was a way to see a time stamp on the “Find My Phantom” because the last GPS location fits for the mission on the way out. But unless it went into failsafe it wouldn’t have been on that path. I was hoping to figure out if that was the outbound leg. After I realized it hadn’t returned I ended up grabbing my ipad and noticed it was receiving the phantom Wi-Fi. I finally closed the app on my Samsung 5s and noticed it was receiving the same network. But I wasn’t getting any data? It was almost dark so I took off in the car to the “Find my Phantom” location.
One of my questions is “with the remote on and the range extender on do you see the network called Phantom?”
Well before I actually got to the marked location I lost the Wi-Fi “Phantom” I figured the battery finally died. Went on to the spot and it was so dark searched with flashlight briefly. Then I searched that area the next day and no luck…
So I started looking more on the mission return route because I feel the app might lock up and I didn’t notice because it was not communicating. I was wondering if anyone else maybe experienced this when drone went to low battery warning? Or return home and does it still get gps if it is on a failsafe return.
I will stop here because I feel bad my first post is this long. Sorry

Did you have it set to auto RTH on low battery? If not it would try to complete its mission even in absence of control signal. If it losses GPS it will hover until it regains GPS signal or until its battery gets low at which point it will try to land. If you do not have auto RTH on low battery then I would work backwards along the mission path. I sounds as if you were operating beyond radio range and therefore only have the mission plan to follow. This is a good reason to carry a GPS tracker or flytrex live.

I have had a battery fail prematurely during a long flight and my drone landed itself in a lake. Fortunately for me I use the 900Mhz ground station and had good telemetry until it hit the water. Given the precise location I was able to recover it from 45 feet of water a few days later, 30 feet from the where the telemetry said it would be even though that was half a mile from where I was flying from. The only damage suffered from the water landing was blown ESC's everything else survived intact.

Best of luck finding your bird. Hopefully it simply landed and it waiting for you to recover it in good condition.

I have a label on mine that says "REWARD IF FOUND XXX-XXX-XXXX"

SkipSmith said:
To start off I want to say thank you to “Ilovecoffee” for the modification on the app. I have had some incredible flights and gone extremely farther than ever expected. But of course with that being said… I have lost my drone. I have been looking for the past week and have a couple of questions that would help narrow my search… First I was wondering if there was a way to see a time stamp on the “Find My Phantom” because the last GPS location fits for the mission on the way out. But unless it went into failsafe it wouldn’t have been on that path. I was hoping to figure out if that was the outbound leg. After I realized it hadn’t returned I ended up grabbing my ipad and noticed it was receiving the phantom Wi-Fi. I finally closed the app on my Samsung 5s and noticed it was receiving the same network. But I wasn’t getting any data? It was almost dark so I took off in the car to the “Find my Phantom” location.
One of my questions is “with the remote on and the range extender on do you see the network called Phantom?”
Well before I actually got to the marked location I lost the Wi-Fi “Phantom” I figured the battery finally died. Went on to the spot and it was so dark searched with flashlight briefly. Then I searched that area the next day and no luck…
So I started looking more on the mission return route because I feel the app might lock up and I didn’t notice because it was not communicating. I was wondering if anyone else maybe experienced this when drone went to low battery warning? Or return home and does it still get gps if it is on a failsafe return.
I will stop here because I feel bad my first post is this long. Sorry
Something that I have not seen on the posts here, ( I admit I only look at the first page. ) Is that I'm sure we have all bought our birds with a credit card, saying that we must have high credit limits and top end cards that come with benefits and a lot of them have buyer protection against accidental lost, ( within the first 90 days.)

I have a claim in now on my first P2V+V3 when I crashed and destroyed the camera, AMEX had me send it back to DJI for repair cost, from what I have read it is not repairable and it will take DJI at least 30 days to tell me that. So I just bought a new camera at $700 bucks and it works fine while waiting to hear back from DJI and then from AMEX. Actually I bought a whole new bird before the camera because I was going on a New Year trip and wanted to take it with me and then remembered about the protection plan.

I'll let you know how it turns out, if anyone else has done this I would like to know how it turned out for you.

First get a GPS tracker. Next put a reward label

Can you verify if your s1 switch works properly? I almost lost my drone with the ilovecoffee app because my s1 switch was messed up and it won't stay in the top position even though, it is in that position.

I found out through the assistant software

Because the s1 switch is faulty, the drone stopped halfway through its miss and autolanded from low battery before I figured out what was going on

DronePilot said:
Did you have it set to auto RTH on low battery? If not it would try to complete its mission even in absence of control signal. If it losses GPS it will hover until it regains GPS signal or until its battery gets low at which point it will try to land. If you do not have auto RTH on low battery then I would work backwards along the mission path. I sounds as if you were operating beyond radio range and therefore only have the mission plan to follow. This is a good reason to carry a GPS tracker or flytrex live.

I have had a battery fail prematurely during a long flight and my drone landed itself in a lake. Fortunately for me I use the 900Mhz ground station and had good telemetry until it hit the water. Given the precise location I was able to recover it from 45 feet of water a few days later, 30 feet from the where the telemetry said it would be even though that was half a mile from where I was flying from. The only damage suffered from the water landing was blown ESC's everything else survived intact.

Best of luck finding your bird. Hopefully it simply landed and it waiting for you to recover it in good condition.

Thanks for the info I am still looking....

clayton4115 said:
do you know whether your phantom came down because of low battery level or something else?
I am thinking low battery... Because when I sent it out I realized that I that it was not on fast speed and it was going to be stopping at the waypoints. Have done about the same trip on fast and no stopping at waypoints with only 28% battery left.

SkipSmith said:

Not seeing a reply to this question, I went and confirmed on mine: if drone battery is off, no wifi network on phone (out of range) even with remote control & extender on.

My wifi range is very short (can't make it thru a wall 30ft away to drone outside on ground) it seems that when you went to expected crash site you may have been very very close if it on the ground in bushes, since you had a wifi sig. Ditto maybe look UP next trip to same spot - might be stuck in a tree high above - range probably 100's of feet from up there?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen