Lost my P3P - only 3 weeks old. WTF?!?

When the OP stated he was on top of a garage, I should have realised he was talking about a multi-storey car park - international structural term differences! Yep, that is a slightly daft place to T/O. Also, you can get terrible wind votex on the sides of these structures, so that could be a factor too, together with the increased wind speed 100' in then air at T/O and updrafts form other buildings in the vicinity. There are so many potential causes of the loss of the AC, let alone the compass issue which, of course, the most likely. One other thing; even if dji did notice an issue with the AC in the telemetry then they could state given you were not using dji authorised flight software, your warranty claim would be void.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Great - thanks for the explanation! I really appreciate it! Where do most people calibrate? In my case, I was on top of a parking structure - so I could have/should have thought of the amount of steel holding up the garage. I ran my CSV Litchi file through Phantom Help - here are the results:
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

It looks like it went through several instances of going from GPS to ATTI and back again. Thanks again!
Where do I calibrate? Not on top of a multi-storey car park, that's for sure!
I last calibrated my compass in December, in Ireland on a lawn which has nothing but moss and grass on it and no metal beneath. I work on the basis that the app will report an issue, which is what it did last time it needed calibrating. I always let the AC hover for a minute after T/O too and do a close round of manoeuvres before flying away.

downtown Chicago flying off a multi-storey its well not a good place to fly to put it mildly you need to get out to the countryside

Reactions: Numone
I last calibrated my compass in December, in Ireland on a lawn which has nothing but moss and grass on it and no metal beneath. I work on the basis that the app will report an issue, which is what it did last time it needed calibrating. I always let the AC hover for a minute after T/O too and do a close round of manoeuvres before flying away.
+1 on that. Get a good cal and leave it alone. One of my birds is over a year old still flying perfectly on the original cal. And I always suggest that if/when you get a compass warning the first action should be to move the bird, not calibrate. More likely that there is something hinky with the spot rather than the bird.

Reactions: Numone
And I always suggest that if/when you get a compass warning the first action should be to move the bird, not calibrate. More likely that there is something hinky with the spot rather than the bird.
+1 to that too. I had my 3A go nuts after a T/O, got it back and landed in ATTI and moved 50 feet from the T/O spot. It was fine after that. That's why I now always let the AC hover and then I do a number of close manoeuvres to make sure all is well before flying off.

Glad you said that as it was something I was pondering on doing. Only because I have better field of vision above houses. Would it be OK to fly off a car park providing I don't do a calibration or is it too risky still ( guessing it's risky if It has concrete.. After all, must be lots of steel to hold it in place)

Just curious if anyone has actually done that with no problems. As for the original thread about DJI not being able to work out what went wrong as he used litchi, wouldn't their still be a recording of flight log on the internal SD card inside the drone specially for DJI data?

Not trying to cause any confusions at all, just throwing in my advice, and I apologies if what I'm saying is not accurate. Just trying to give any input I can to help [emoji4]

Neon Euc

Would it be OK to fly off a car park providing I don't do a calibration or is it too risky still ( guessing it's risky if It has concrete.. After all, must be lots of steel to hold it in place)
Don't be tempted to try launching from reinforced concrete.
There have been too many instances of similar outcomes from this.
Just curious if anyone has actually done that with no problems. As for the original thread about DJI not being able to work out what went wrong as he used litchi, wouldn't their still be a recording of flight log on the internal SD card inside the drone specially for DJI data?
The big problem is that the OP never found his Phantom.
No Phantom = no internal SD card
DJI will not look at a flight data recording from a 3rd party program because they don't collect all the info they need to see..

Reactions: Neon Euc and Numone
Glad you said that as it was something I was pondering on doing. Only because I have better field of vision above houses. Would it be OK to fly off a car park providing I don't do a calibration or is it too risky still ( guessing it's risky if It has concrete.. After all, must be lots of steel to hold it in place)

Not trying to cause any confusions at all, just throwing in my advice, and I apologies if what I'm saying is not accurate. Just trying to give any input I can to help [emoji4]

Neon Euc
Don't.... just don't, is my suggestion.....

"I realized I forgot to set the switch to GPS"

would that not mean you really did NOT have a home point!
GPS and homepoint go hand in hand ......
But atti mode does not disable GPS, it just doesn't use it actively for controlling drone. I have no experience in testing rth involving atti, but no reason to believe GPS was not functioning. Manual said GPS is always on.

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk2579
But atti mode does not disable GPS, it just doesn't use it actively for controlling drone. I have no experience in testing rth involving atti, but no reason to believe GPS was not functioning. Manual said GPS is always on.
That's correct and if GPS is available, the Phantom will use it for a loss of signal RTH even if the Phantom's controller is set to atti.

I wouldn't launch you new Mavic with a 55% battery as it appears that you did on this flight. Or did someone mention this already.

I heard yesterday airports, especially military ones, if there have an armed fighter jet in or important person can and do block all wifi and data incl radio frequencies for drones....

I heard yesterday airports, especially military ones, if there have an armed fighter jet in or important person can and do block all wifi and data incl radio frequencies for drones....
Your new President will probably build a wall round them shortly, who's action will be closely followed by his lapdog, our Prime Minister, Mrs May...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart