Loss of video - does GPS work?

Reaction score
I've yet to really push this to fully test as I get a little uncomfortable when I start to lose video.

When my video 2.4 signal cuts out, can I switch to map view and still fly according to the GPS/map positioning?

I have the DBS mod and it seems I can still control the bird when my video cuts out, but I'd like to confirm.
Is the location & direction sent over 2.4 or 5.8?

Sounds pretty dangerous to be flying blind - and I wouldn't risk it with my bird - but DJI Go shows you the signal strength for video and control signals separately and as long as you are still connected with the control signals, you can fly/control the phantom. The telemetry is sent on the control channel so your GPS positions should continue to update on your map.

Sounds pretty dangerous to be flying blind - and I wouldn't risk it with my bird - but DJI Go shows you the signal strength for video and control signals separately and as long as you are still connected with the control signals, you can fly/control the phantom. The telemetry is sent on the control channel so your GPS positions should continue to update on your map.

It's more of a question for my peace of mind. When my video cuts out I immediately get a little on edge and try to turn a 180 and come home.
If I know I have a little range and time left; I can flip to map mode and fly by my GPS until I regain video signal.

If the control channel as you say is the coming from the remote to the Phantom, Your GPS positions would not be in that signal. I say that if you loose video because of no signal, you are also gong to loose telemetry. This signal comes from the Phantom, to the remote, then to your tablet. So the GPS map he is viewing will not get updated. The Phantom would still be pickup GPS.

Lost signal (but not really)

Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry

Rod

Reactions: longdog
If the control channel as you say is the coming from the remote to the Phantom, Your GPS positions would not be in that signal. I say that if you loose video because of no signal, you are also gong to loose telemetry. This signal comes from the Phantom, to the remote, then to your tablet. So the GPS map he is viewing will not get updated. The Phantom would still be pickup GPS.

Rod

Thanks Rod! This was all very helpful reading.

Reactions: RodPad

Rod
Think I agree with you. Don't think anything is received via the RC 5.8, that's a one way, controller to bird. The wifi at 2.4 is the download data, all data. Also thought the wifi is a two way road, receiving and transmitting data via the app.

Yes, I think, Wifi communication 2 way form the Mobile to the remote, Remote to Mobile.
Remote to Phantom one way. Phantom to remote one way at the WiFi freq. Have remembered freqs in my head yet.

Rod

Yes, I think, Wifi communication 2 way form the Mobile to the remote, Remote to Mobile.
Remote to Phantom one way. Phantom to remote one way at the WiFi freq. Have remembered freqs in my head yet.

Rod
Would add one thing to your statement, not 100% sure but think the wifi is two way between bird and controller. Lets say you input a command on the app on your device. Like a RTH, or update on the height for the RTH, or anything else. That input then goes to the controller first via wifi, but thought that data is then sent to the craft via the wifi link between the the bird and controller, not the 5.8 of the RC.

The reason I'm saying this is because I remember reading a thread about the RTH and on that thread it was stated that if you used the S2 switch for the RTH that command was sent via the RC 5.8, but if done by the app the command was sent via wifi 2.4. (to the craft via the controller).

Would add one thing to your statement, not 100% sure but think the wifi is two way between bird and controller. Lets say you input a command on the app on your device. Like a RTH, or update on the height for the RTH, or anything else. That input then goes to the controller first via wifi, but thought that data is then sent to the craft via the wifi link between the the bird and controller, not the 5.8 of the RC.
Yes, I get your thought. My original thought was the RTH command if it was pressed from the App, that command was received from the remote, then sent to the phantom via 5.8 transmission, same transmission that the S2 switch would send, and that's why the S2 switch would be most reliable for getting the RTH actuated (without turning the remote off). I still believed that until you used the term of updating. So if your updating the Phantom with parameters, like RTH settings, camera settings, etc, it makes me wonder about how data is sent to the Phantom. Wifi or 5.8.

Then you made another post, so ignoring that post for now, since my head is now hurting and proofing what I have already typed.

I am going with the thought that the data is sent to the Phantom non WiFi, but confirmed from the Phantom to the app via two legs of WiFi (Phantom to remote, Remote to App).
And Why?
Because the P3S seems to have a lot of Firmware Update Problems.
Compared to the past and the Adv and Pro.

OK, your turn, or anybody else.
You know some of the members here actually do know..
:rolleyes:

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl