Loss of GPS when videoing

Reaction score
I'm still building my confidence while learning to fly so don't really do anything too risky ! One manoeuvre I practice regularly is to simply rotate on the same spot in order to film a 360° panorama. It seems that when videoing the quad very often drifts considerably from it's start point (20 to 30 feet before I panic) and the 'GPS signal lost' warning appears, yet I can carry out the manoeuvre and not video and it remains absolutely in the same position. Any thoughts please ?

Sounds like you took it out of GPS mode. I believe on the Vision+ the two metal switches on the controller must be left in the upward position.

Thanks for the swift reply but I'm absolutely positive that wasn't the case. I'm neurotic about both those switches and I'd put money on them both being in the up position.

I'm still building my confidence while learning to fly so don't really do anything too risky ! One manoeuvre I practice regularly is to simply rotate on the same spot in order to film a 360° panorama. It seems that when videoing the quad very often drifts considerably from it's start point (20 to 30 feet before I panic) and the 'GPS signal lost' warning appears, yet I can carry out the manoeuvre and not video and it remains absolutely in the same position. Any thoughts please ?

was not unusual in phantom 2
The new V+ under the shell, GPS Shielding and more!

satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

use alumimum tape under gimbal and around gps wire connector

search old threads about this from early 2015

Last edited:
Stebbo - it's typical for the phantom to tend to drift quite a bit when you rotate. It makes sense when you think about it because the relative locations of the satellites all change at once, even though they actually don't. But I've never noticed this to cause a loss of satellites.

As Kirk explains above, the reroute GPS cable mod should help with satellite reception, and the foil mod should help too. Good luck.

home depot
Stebbo - it's typical for the phantom to tend to drift quite a bit when you rotate. It makes sense when you think about it because the relative locations of the satellites all change at once, even though they actually don't. But I've never noticed this to cause a loss of satellites.

As Kirk explains above, the reroute GPS cable mod should help with satellite reception, and the foil mod should help too. Good luck.

Markmd

once you get a totally flat IMU calibration on the p2+ you should be able to spin it like a top in spot.
if you are getting movement redo the imu

I have a P2V, but it shouldn't matter.

My P2V has always drifted when I rotate. I actually did do an IMU calibration about ten days ago. I'll have to pay close attention next time and see if things are different. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I'll certainly consider carrying out the mods but as yet am a little nervous at 'taking the lid off' !
I've done some searching through the forum and there's also been a suggestion that the drifting and loss of signal may be caused by fault a with the SD card !
Because I'm still being very cautious with everything I do I'm impressed that the quad doesn't drift more that a foot or so when rotating 'on the spot', even in a moderate wind, until that is, I start to video and then I can guarantee after 120 degrees of rotation the drifting starts. It then recovers when I stop videoing. I'm also pretty sure I'm not losing satellites during the drifting. But remember, I'm still getting used to watching all the data whilst keeping an eye on flying the quad !!
I've found a couple of really good step by step you tube videos on adding the foil mod and it doesn't look as hard as I thought. Maybe I'll have a go
Any further thoughts on the 'bad' SD card ?

I have a P2V, but it shouldn't matter.

My P2V has always drifted when I rotate. I actually did do an IMU calibration about ten days ago. I'll have to pay close attention next time and see if things are different. Thanks for the info.

had the the p2 also.
that is where the imu on level surface came from.

those in the p2 were very critical to do on level surface,
as little as a business card can make a difference in hovering and spin.

last spring one would spin perfect without movement and the other moved like a drunk when yawing.

got the level out and spent some time doing it 2 or 3 times till perfect.
ran level across motor shaft tops till all were level in all combinations....

then both were alike and when yawing stayed put.

Kirk - I tested by rotating yesterday - it was steady as a rock! You were absolutely right! Thanks again

(and yeah, I calibrated the IMU the **** way, not the hey-it-don't-really-matter-that-much way)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl