Looks like I'm gonna sell my P3 Pro to get a Mavic.

I wonder how many will end up with junk. It seems almost all for sale are in perfect condition and never have had any problems and only flown to church on Sunday.
You have to do your research, and use some common sense. I couldn't be happier with mine. This isn't my first rodeo.

I'm gonna buy one of these P3P's when they are dirt cheap as a back-up.
I use mine exclusively for business and a back-up will be great/reassuring.
I feel the P3P does everything I need as a professional aerial videographer but agree the Mavic looks great for travel and personnel use

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
So, do you think the camera is better on the phantom 3 pro?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you have the resources to get into a Mavic without cashing out of the phantom why not keep both. Good to have a backup if one is out of action, opportunity to introduce a potential flying companion to the hobby etc. You might as well get the value out if it and enjoy it rather than take a big loss.

If you have the resources to get into a Mavic without cashing out of the phantom why not keep both. Good to have a backup if one is out of action, opportunity to introduce a potential flying companion to the hobby etc. You might as well get the value out if it and enjoy it rather than take a big loss.
I'm keeping my P3 Standard instead, because my P3 Pro is in great condition and more sellable . I've crashed the P3S a few times, so even with the DBS modded controller I don't think I could get much for it at this point with everything coming. I'd love to keep all three, but the Mavic makes more sense for travel, obstacle avoidance, etc. Maybe I'll regret it. Who knows.

I'm not sure carrying it onto a plane is a good test of portability. Try backpacking for a few days with the P3A (to include a sleeping bag, tent, cooking wares and food. Let me know how that works out. How about spending a day walking and sight seeing.

But also, trying doing carry on only (all your cloths and other items) along with a P3 vs a Mavic. Huge difference.

I'm not advocating selling a P3 for a Mavic, just pointing out that portability is much more than walking onto a plane. Far from it.
I was commenting, through experience, re. travelling with a P3 on aircraft, but I agree with you; it wouldn't be practical when backpacking.

So, do you think the camera is better on the phantom 3 pro?

Only pre-production models have been out. Software can be tweaked to improve focus. What we _do_ know is that the viewing angle is not as wide on the Mavic. The best comparision I've seen is here:

MavicPro - Mark and Romeo's Aerial Adventures ...

IMHO, you'd have to say that the P3 camera is better... going by paper specs. But in the real world they are very close. This is just the camera. You may then want to consider all of the differences.

I am trying to do the same thing. I have 2, selling the one barely used. There are quite a few of them up on Craigslist, and mine is priced competitively. Not a peep.

Decided to keep both of my P3P's as I am starting to use them for business. Just couldn't justify selling at the price people offered, and its good to have a spare. The P3Ps are still great birds. Still plan to buy a Mavic anyway to add to my collection.

Reactions: Numone
I would wait till new Mavic sort out with bugs, glitches, parts problem,etc etc after they are released.. I mean, most drone are bound to have problem as soon as they were released. I'd give Mavic up to 2 months ish then trade it. Just saying.... to save your money. haha.

Another reason why I'd rather have the mavic is for the obstacle avoidance. I avoid doing certain photos/ videos because of the fear of crashing into a tree or building. Tons of P3 pros on ebay now. Not sure how mine will sell even with all the accessories and extra battery..

For me, the introduction of the Mavic made purchasing a drone possible.

I just purchased a gently-used P3 Professional in fantastic condition, with an extra set of props (8 total), prop guards, two batteries and a set of 6 ND filters for $450. :flushed:

I have been daydreaming about Phantoms for a while, and when the Mavic was introduced, the prices of the P3P fell so low it was a no-brainer for me. The seller was selling so that he could order the Mavic, so I feel like the winner in this situation!

Last edited:
P3p one of the first sold by B&H photo. no issues 45 flights. crashed it the first day out and still no cracks. I will keep it.. Most would agree rock solid bird... I will pick up the Mavic, love to hike and would never carry a phantom 3 hiking on a weekend trip, but the mavic fills a slot.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

For me, the introduction of the Mavic made purchasing a drone possible.

I just purchased a gently-used P3 Professional in fantastic condition, with an extra set of props (8 total), prop guards, two batteries and a set of 6 ND filters for $450. :flushed:

I have been daydreaming about Phantoms for a while, and when the Mavic was introduced, the prices of the P3P fell so low it was a no-brainer for me. The seller was selling so that he could order the Mavic, so I feel like the winner in this situation!
That's an insane deal!

Reactions: look_alive
As someone who is looking to buy after selling mine, I will give you my perspective. I had and sold a P3P about 8 months ago. I found that I always wanted to take it places but I never did because it was huge. Mind you, I own a full size pickup truck but with my kids in the back, there isn't anywhere to put a full size drone in a case (I wasn't chancing it in the bed). So basically I got very little use out of it. You can only fly around your own house so many times.

About a month or so ago, I decided I wanted to purchase one again. I even tried the Standard and 4K but was disappointed with lack of Lightbridge after knowing what it could do. After returning both of those, I set out after a P3P or a P3A and ended up buying one on eBay. After being scammed (bastard sends me a bottle of cologne instead) and getting my money back, I find out about the impending Mavic and Karma. Essentially what has happened is that I am sitting here on the sidelines waiting on the Mavic to see how it shakes out--not because I am going to spend $1000 on one (already had that much into one and don't have enough time to use it to justify the cost), but because I think that will likely drop prices of not only the P3, but also the P4. It does seem that immediately after launch the P3 prices dropped for the short term for all the people preordering, but they bounced back a little bit after a week or two. So I think there are a lot of people waiting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl