Looking for something more portable

Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking for some input. I have a p3s and I'm looking for something a bit more portable. I have been looking into a spark for portability. I know I'd be loosing in flight time but I want something I can travel with. I'd love to trade for a spark and was wondering if it would be somewhat of an even trade. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

While the Spark is def portable why not look into getting a Mavic. You get awesome portability but don't sacrifice flight time.. in fact you GAIN flight time. I have both. I consider my Spark to be somewhat more of a toy/trainer.

Just my 2 cents :)

I'd love to go for the mavic but it's out of my price range. That is why I asked about the trade difference.

I have both a P3S and Spark. When I got my Spark the Mavic Air wasn’t out. The Air is twice the cost of the Spark for some features you may or may not need.

The Spark is a more advanced drone than the P3S and has some newer tech like forward obstacle avoidance and more features in software. The biggest difference I found was the two axis gimbal on the Spark. I was so used to the buttery smooth video on my P3S. I take mostly photos so for me this is not much of a concern.

Some other differences:
Battery Time: Spark 10-11min, P3S 16-17min
Photos: Spark - JPEG, P3S - RAW+JPEG
Video: Spark - 1080p 30fps, P3S - 2.7K 30fps

There have been a number of reviews that have said the photos the Spark takes are better than the ones on the Air - colour is more natural. The pictures I get off my Spark are definetely better than my P3S colour wise - not as much post processing involved.

As far as a trade, although they are the same price when purchased, the Spark is newer and has more tech and software features so I don’t think it would be an even trade.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Hey guys, just looking for some input. I have a p3s and I'm looking for something a bit more portable. I have been looking into a spark for portability. I know I'd be loosing in flight time but I want something I can travel with. I'd love to trade for a spark and was wondering if it would be somewhat of an even trade. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I have flown Phantoms from my very first drone. The portability issue is not a big deal to me as it seems to be for others. I used to carry my Phantom 3 Pro in a Nanuk case and my brother called it the steamer trunk. However it fit fine in my car and it was "portable enough" to walk with it for moderate distances. With my Phantom 4, I carry it in the foam case, wrapped by a backpack. Nice and portable.

Having said that, yes there are times when a super portable drone is nice to have. So last weekend I picked up a Spark. It doesn't have the features and quality of a Phantom 4 Pro, but it looks like a great little drone to just have fun with. When comparing it to your P3S, I think the biggest limitation for you will be the 2 axis gimbal of the Spark, if you take video.

If you can save up for it, maybe wait to get a Mavic Air and enjoy the Phantom until then?

As to trade, I think it all comes down to perceived value for the person on each end. If you both feel you are getting a good deal then go for it. Put it up in the Classifieds for trade and see what happens. No harm in trying.

Not to be mean but the "value" of the P3S is much less than the Spark right now. I'm not saying someone might be interested in this trade but the odds are stacked against you. It's worth a try.

I think best case would be to try and save some $$ up and when the time comes try and sell you P3S out right and apply that $$ to a newer aircraft and I'd suggest higher than a Spark for trying to help extend your service life further into the future from a technology stand point.

Good luck and SAFE Flights :)

tj,
Like you I have a P3S and wanted something more portable to travel/hike with. In this regard, the Spark is an excellent choice. One thing often overlooked with the Spark, is that it is the only DJI drone that can be docked and charged on the go via the Portable Charging Station. There are 3rd party solutions but they are not as convenient as the Charging Station. For me this has been a major plus with the Spark. In the summer, the family and I do a lot of camping and often we are in a location without access to power for some time so the ability to charge the Spark on the go is important. Also, it is handy when hiking as well.

Instead of trading, your P3S why not keep it as a backup in case something happens with your new drone. I find that I still use my P3S when I don't need portability or a quick launch. I used to have a hard case for my P3S but that even reduced the portability even more, so now I use a backpack and other than freezing my hands off screwing on/off props, I can even take it hiking.

Good Luck with your decision.

Chris

Reactions: tj.hyzer

Hello again,

As a follow-up to my earlier response, I just flew my Spark for the first time. Coming from a Phantom it definitely is different. However I found it to be a lot of fun to fly. The quick setup was nice but no big deal really. Zooming around in sport mode, it was very responsive. There was a slight constant wind (about 6 MPH) and it was very stable and responsive. The battery does go quickly!! I kept a very close eye on the battery level and it seemed like it drops very quickly. Overall impression is that it's fun to fly as a second drone, but I certainly would not replace a Phantom with it. Really depends on what you need and want. If you just want a fun little drone for pictures and video, it's really nice. I haven't downloaded the pictures and video yet to see how they came out.

Happy Flying !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72