Live Streaming From P3 Standard?

Reaction score
I recently had a guy say that he may want to use me to help him film a major event in my area. Or at least thats what I THOUGHT he said. I talked to him yesterday and he mentioned that if he hires me for this, I will have to supply a live feed of my coverage. So I wouldn't be FILMING it for him, but real time coverage. I am seeing how to get the P3S to hook up for a live feed to YouTube, but this will not be going to YouTube, but somewhere he will be directing it. Does anybody know if the P3S even has that capability, and if so, how to do it?

Gary, so I have this right, he does not want YouTube live stream? He wants it sent to him like a live news video where he can go to it when he is ready? Also, if this is a big event, you are going to have to figure out how to comply with Part 107 regulations for not being over people and/or request a waiver from FAA. I have a P3S and as far as live streaming, I have only seen the platforms that are on the live stream pop up and have only used YouTube and Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Gary M
DJI Go can do it, look under the top right 3-dot menu, 3-dot tab - live broadcast. It depends if your device can simultaneously connect via sifi to the P3 and stream via mobile service.

Edit:
As Nickster pointed out, the live stream targets are limited and there are legal implications to consider.

Reactions: Nickster
If you use a apple or tablet with hdmi you can plug up to a monitor and the guy can see from there if that helps. It would be a live feed. Apple product you'll need a adapter to run out tablet to vga or hdmi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you use a apple or tablet with hdmi you can plug up to a monitor and the guy can see from there if that helps. It would be a live feed. Apple product you'll need a adapter to run out tablet to vga or hdmi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I thought of that as well. I have a Nvidia Shield K1, so it does have HDMI port. But if I do that, he will be getting exactly what I see on my SCREEN, correct? Including all of the flight telemetry, the whole enchilada. I know he wont be wanting that. If it will be only the camera view and thats it, that would definitely be my easiest option. Phantom to the shield to a laptop and then live stream the laptop to him somehow.

I have used Twitch. It works fairly well. I also have the Nvidia shield and it handles live stream with ease while controlling the Phantom. Try it out on your shield to see if that would be what you need.

Gary, so I have this right, he does not want YouTube live stream? He wants it sent to him like a live news video where he can go to it when he is ready? Also, if this is a big event, you are going to have to figure out how to comply with Part 107 regulations for not being over people and/or request a waiver from FAA. I have a P3S and as far as live streaming, I have only seen the platforms that are on the live stream pop up and have only used YouTube and Facebook.

Oh, trust me, I have thought about the regulatory angle of all of this. I am Part 107 licensed, insured, etc. The "event" I will be shooting is a parade. So I am HOPING that I can ride in the back of a truck and fly the Phantom while on the move, (which 107 made legal) a street or two over from the parade route. Hopefully from that vantage point, I can fly the drone over the buildings along the parade route without flying over the crowd and still have a good angle to the parade itself. I also would need LOS from where I am to the drone, so, again, I'm hoping being one street over will accomplish that. I probably wouldn't be further than a couple hundred feet from the drone at all times. Now, I know I can apply for waivers from some P-107 regs, I have already had to apply for a P-107 for flying in a class D airspace, (fortunately only once so far, thank God) but in your opinion, do you think they would grant one for flying over a crowd? I thought about that but doubted they would approve that one. Even if they would, I am wondering if I even want to and take that risk if I can just stay over buildings and get what I need minus the risk. .Or,,,,I JUST thought of this,,,if I stay EXACTLY over the parade route (The street) I would at times be over the floats, participants, etc,,, do you think the FAA would consider that cleared by the fact that the parade participants are "Part of the operation," which is also now legal? This came up just a week or so ago and I have already started planning/researching the flight, but I know this one is going to take MANY trips to the location to scout all this out prior to the flight.

Oh, trust me, I have thought about the regulatory angle of all of this. I am Part 107 licensed, insured, etc. The "event" I will be shooting is a parade. So I am HOPING that I can ride in the back of a truck and fly the Phantom while on the move, (which 107 made legal) a street or two over from the parade route. Hopefully from that vantage point, I can fly the drone over the buildings along the parade route without flying over the crowd and still have a good angle to the parade itself. I also would need LOS from where I am to the drone, so, again, I'm hoping being one street over will accomplish that. I probably wouldn't be further than a couple hundred feet from the drone at all times. Now, I know I can apply for waivers from some P-107 regs, I have already had to apply for a P-107 for flying in a class D airspace, (fortunately only once so far, thank God) but in your opinion, do you think they would grant one for flying over a crowd? I thought about that but doubted they would approve that one. Even if they would, I am wondering if I even want to and take that risk if I can just stay over buildings and get what I need minus the risk. .Or,,,,I JUST thought of this,,,if I stay EXACTLY over the parade route (The street) I would at times be over the floats, participants, etc,,, do you think the FAA would consider that cleared by the fact that the parade participants are "Part of the operation," which is also now legal? This came up just a week or so ago and I have already started planning/researching the flight, but I know this one is going to take MANY trips to the location to scout all this out prior to the flight.

Gary, those are all good questions and ones I have dealt with. The city I work for wanted me to film and photo their parade. At that same time, I actually was in a conference where the keynote speaker was an FAA official at the Cincinnati office who is in charge of their UAS program. I would urge you to call and meet with your local FAA office and see how to do this with crowds. He told me when I had my plan that it was a no. You cannot fly over the floats either since that is considered over non participants. People participating are only the your crew members. I see from your post I quoted that there are going to need to be some possible waivers. But, I would check out what the local office says. They want to help and will try to help so you can do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen