litchi Warning!!!

Reaction score
So here we go nice sunny calm day me and my friend out in the field trying to fly some missions
I start first
Problem 1 the voice feedback sounds like double like a bad phone line
Very annoying but flight still normal
Here comes my bird back I'm ready to take over the landing(setting was on do nothing on mission complete)
Now to my horror the bird flies out over the lake to another waypoint which was not added when I started the mission so I quickly flick over to sports mode and guide the drone back safely
What a heart stopper
No I try another mission and they all fail so I gave up
Now my friend starts his mission bird goes to 2. Way point stops and 10 seconds later falls out of the sky like a stone voice feed back says mission complete needless to say phantom is ruined
Now seems like latest update on litchi 1.15.2 is crap
Never ever had any problems like that
This was a fly zone so I wonder what happened?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Now my friend starts his mission bird goes to 2. Way point stops and 10 seconds later falls out of the sky like a stone voice feed back says mission complete needless to say phantom is ruined
Now seems like latest update on litchi 1.15.2 is crap
It sounds unlikely that Litchi had anything to do with the Phantom falling.
There are lots of possible causes that are more likely.

I upgraded recently to 1.15.2 and have had zero issues, not sure if you have checked your wayward mission as I accidentally touched the screen whilst distracted and had the drone heading off to Israel had I not made a final check. This is one thing I wish Litchi would fix - some sort of lock for each mission but certainly my fault.
As for your friends drone, have you had a look at the flight logs to see what has happened. Was the battery properly secured, dumb question but it sounds very unusual for a drone to simply drop out of the sky.

Litchi, autopilot, what ever third party app we may choose to fly- it's on us to not get too comfortable and to make allowances for known issues in planning and execution. I have almost come unstuck badly on more than one occasion and it would have been on me (with one exception).

If the app fails to disengage when commanded to do so and hand back control to the operator that would be a major issue.

A problem I encountered in autopilot with an earlier firmware where RTH would not initiate on lost connection during a waypoint mission might be argued was DJI's problem. The AC was well over 2km from the launch point where it autolanded without incident on critical battery.

Waypoints at altitudes below AGL, adding a waypoint in error, expecting visual acquisition tracking to be 100% reliable, not knowing how to manually fly home and/or understanding RTH and ensuring settings are appropriate when you have an issue etc we can't blame the apps. I'm not suggesting this applies to you just making the point that more often than not when people are grizzling and pointing fingers at the apps it's ultimately revealed that the app didn't cause the unfortunate outcome.

Your friends AC falling out of the sky is more likely to be a lost prop, battery, propulsion system or other hardware issue. He/she has the AC so the log file will hopefully be readable and should provide a good opportunity to ascertain the most likely cause of failure.

As a general observation it seems, with greater prevalence, new users are launching straight into autonomous flight with third party apps before learning the basic skills and acquiring experience that might give them a good chance of avoiding a crash. I am not pointing the finger here, your friend may well be an experienced and highly competent operator. It just seems the apps are almost universally blamed.

I am thinking of bailing out on this thread as I come here to learn and improve my skills. Firstly I agree with some of the comments regarding the efficacy of the problem with respect to bagging an app that is used widely by many operators in the game. I flew two missions today out of curiosity to see firstly that I was running the mission I had loaded and that at any time with a connection, I could bring it back with no issues. I also flew one with no connection for two thirds of the trip and it worked fine. This thread is presumptive in that it suggest that Litchi is crap and we should start running for the hills with our hair on fire and demand satisfaction from someone.
Not suggesting that there are no legitimate reasons for the two issues raised by the OP, but maybe we can combine fact with less emotion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl