Litchi App Fail

Reaction score
Hey folks

Been using the Litchi App with the P4Pro and i'm a little concerned about inconsistencies on the app.

- did a short test mission with 1 POI and 5 waypoints 1) rise to 10' 2) move out 30 yards to 30' 3) move out 50 yards and take a picture of the POI 4) return to (2) point at 30' take another picture 5) return to original waypoint at 10'

- Failed to execute the action for the picture at WP 3 and 4
- Upon returning to WP 5, unit went awol and began climbing and losing horizontal control. hit the pause button took over the sticks. landed the unit without incident.

Checked the version (this was a few days ago) and saw Litchi released a new rev. Upgraded the iOS app and planned another mission on the hub. Great tool btw.

- Mission consisted of 4 WP in a box formation w/ POI in the center. Each WP had an action to take a picture of the POI. 5 WP directly on top of the POI and rising to 200' AGL to take direct overhead picture. So total of 5 pictures.
- zero'd out the smoothed corners of the box (is there a system configuration to turn off by default? couldn't find it) as this disables pictures.
- disabled auto-start on video
- Mission executed the wp's flawlessly BUT again no images (see above).

Trying to figure out if this is my user error or a problem in the code. Anyone used Lithci for autoshoot from a WP location/angle?

thanks
mromasea

Just started using litchi and it's been great. It sounds like you need to turn off the curves in the app settings. Even with 0 curve if the curve setting is on it will not take a picture. Also just double check that auto record is really off. I thought i turned mine off the other day but when i checked preflight it wasnt. Also double check any settings in the dji go app.

Just started using litchi and it's been great. It sounds like you need to turn off the curves in the app settings. Even with 0 curve if the curve setting is on it will not take a picture. Also just double check that auto record is really off. I thought i turned mine off the other day but when i checked preflight it wasnt. Also double check any settings in the dji go app.
I agree. Got to 'mission settings' in waypoints and select "straight lines". (see page 18 in the manual). Otherwise, even with curves set to zero, the bird never actually reaches a waypoint so waypoint actions never take place.

I installed the Litchi app onto my Samsung Galaxy 5s (having 6.0.1 Android). My P4pro was up to date firmware, and software as was my Galaxy. I wanted the Litchi app in order to use my Zeiss VR goggles.

In order to make the Litchi app operate I had to uninstall mt DJI GO app. That was annoying in as much as Litchi claimed that a user only needed to select Litchi as the default upon opening the program when connecting to the controller. (That was not correct in my case).

After several sucessful flights I chose to use Litchi's GPS autonomous flight program. (For those not familiar, Litchi provides a screen within a screen view. Both the camera and Google earth satellite view appear in your screen. Switching between them [one view is smaller in the lower right corner] is accomplished by touching the screen).

My flight path was over a forested area, and was one I had previously flown manually, using the Litchi as well as DJI Pro apps. Hence, I knew that I had adequate range for control and signal.

After programming the flight path (basically a rectangle over 200 acres), and setting the altitude, I was ready to set the P4pro free. The Litchi program states on screen that you can take over control at any time.

I set the program to go. The P4pro flew to the first waypoint without issue. I used the controller left toggle to increase altitude without issue. The P4pro turned to fly, and did so, to the next way point. Whilst using the Zeiss VR goggles I noted all was working fine, or so I thought.

The P4pro reached the second waypoint turned smoothly for the third. On this route I began to see altitude issues as the terrain was rising but the P4pro wasn't. I gave left toggle throttle to increase altitude. Nothing! I disconnected the virtual reality gogglez and now was on screen.

I tried to again gain altitude - nothing. I then tried to get the drone to return home. Nothing. My last act was to try to stop the flight program and take manual control. Nothing.

My P4pro crashed into the top of a 90 foot plus Red Oak. Unfortunately, that was the end of the P4pro as its recovery caused it to fall, unpowered, from 80-some feet, to the frozen forest floor. (The case was cracked, camera sheared off, and both landing gear broken off. Unknown internal damage at this point).

So, for those thinking of the Litchi app I strongly suggest multiple open field tests, including taking control over the drone as well as breaking contact to have it return. I certainly failed in that regard, an error that won't be replicated. Yet, in my defense, I did rely upon the Litchi statements in the software, on screen, that I could take control, as well as my initial confirmation. I paid nearly $30 US for the Litchi app.

Once my P4pro is back I may decide not to ever again use it. The DJI Pro doesn't provide VR options but it never failed me

When you tried to take control back did you do so via the app or by toggling the mode switch on the controller to Sport mode? The latter is the proper method to take emergency manual control because if the app's functionality is compromised then it can no longer issue commands.

Via the app. I don't recall ever seeing the controller switch sport mode disconnect. But, having fallen on my sword for that error, I still cannot understand the inability to gain altitude. As mentioned, there will be several hours of beta yesting before I trust this again.

You can vary speed during a waypoint mission with the joystick but I'm not sure you can vary altitude, so you would have needed to terminate the mission first. During Litchi missions it is a good idea to keep a finger on the P-S-A mode switch on the controller in case you need to make an emergency abort. This will override the app if it is not functioning.

Last edited:
I have now flown 10 missions with litchi and I have cancelled the mission between waypoints just to see if I can reaquire control. All it takes is moving the switch from P to S and the program stops and the drone hovers. It has never failed me to come out of a mission.......

you stated that the terrain was rising, but the bird altitude wasn't. Did you have an increase in altitude programmed in between point 2 and 3? if not, you shouldn't expect the bird to climb. altitude references are all relative to the home point, the birds don't do active height above ground measuring (no radar or laser altimeters). Did you have max altitude set higher than the default? if not that could also explain why it didn't respond to your manual inputs to climb.

My issue is that it won't actually execute the action. Generally like the app. Have used the S switch to take control of the bird but it is a bit unsettling to see your money flying around basically out of control in the sky...

Biggest issue though is it won't take the shot. That's why I bought the app - so I could reliably repeat the same shot over and over again. Really hope Litchi addresses this as it's a great feature set in general.

You still haven't confirmed that you have "straight lines" set in mission parameters. This is usually the culprit when waypoint actions don't get carried out as expected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan