Litchi add tracking like P4

Want tracking functionality added to Litchi app?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just bought Litchi today. I'm pretty certain it said a track mode was coming

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2
It's is coming. Currently it's in beta and works well

I thought I'd add my 2 cents into this thread as it's related to this....

I am pretty convinced that the tracking ability itself if simply put in the firmware by DJI so that the P4 has the ability. In that it's part of the firmware, it's not available for the P3. But as mentioned, this does not include the ability to have the P3 "follow" in addition to tracking (at least not without using orbit at the same time). Thanks for pointing this out 2nd2non.

If I were to guess, I'd bet it would be easy for DJI to add this but I'm betting they won't as it would make the P3 about 90% of what the P4 is currently. I don't think it's namely related to collision avoidance as DJI is allowing orbit mode while tracking which means the P3 could still run into things just as easy.

I'm _guessing_ there is a possibility that adding tracking to the P3 might have been a mistake by DJI. After all, it almost brings it to the same level as the P4. If this is correct, there might be a possibility that it's removed at some time by DJI. However, this would then piss of a _lot_ of people.

I don't want to cap a Litchi thread but I've been testing tracking feature in the Vertical Studio app and it works very well. There are some limitations and I'm putting together a video review on the app. I suspect, since it's firmware related, that Litchi has the same ability in the iOS app and will add the same thing to the Android app.

IMHO, Litchi should not charge for this as it's probably 99% firmware based as there are (obviously_ other apps adding this ability.

I thought I'd add my 2 cents into this thread as it's related to this....

I am pretty convinced that the tracking ability itself if simply put in the firmware by DJI so that the P4 has the ability. In that it's part of the firmware, it's not available for the P3. But as mentioned, this does not include the ability to have the P3 "follow" in addition to tracking (at least not without using orbit at the same time). Thanks for pointing this out 2nd2non.

If I were to guess, I'd bet it would be easy for DJI to add this but I'm betting they won't as it would make the P3 about 90% of what the P4 is currently. I don't think it's namely related to collision avoidance as DJI is allowing orbit mode while tracking which means the P3 could still run into things just as easy.

I'm _guessing_ there is a possibility that adding tracking to the P3 might have been a mistake by DJI. After all, it almost brings it to the same level as the P4. If this is correct, there might be a possibility that it's removed at some time by DJI. However, this would then piss of a _lot_ of people.

I don't want to cap a Litchi thread but I've been testing tracking feature in the Vertical Studio app and it works very well. There are some limitations and I'm putting together a video review on the app. I suspect, since it's firmware related, that Litchi has the same ability in the iOS app and will add the same thing to the Android app.

IMHO, Litchi should not charge for this as it's probably 99% firmware based as there are (obviously_ other apps adding this ability.
Im confused. How do you know, or at least why do you suspect, object tracking is principally in the P3 firmware? It doesnt seem to be detailed in the SDK documentation. It seems more likely the functionality is provided by coding in the app. A clue here is that performance varies with iOS device when running the litchi version which suggests tablet or phone hardware spec makes a difference. It must be app based

Im confused. How do you know, or at least why do you suspect, object tracking is principally in the P3 firmware? It doesnt seem to be detailed in the SDK documentation. It seems more likely the functionality is provided by coding in the app. A clue here is that performance varies with iOS device when running the litchi version which suggests tablet or phone hardware spec makes a difference. It must be app based

Several apps are adding this feature only right after the firmware for the P4 is released? Was it suddenly "discovered"?

Device use makes a difference as tracking is device hardware dependent. That is, it's software tracking and not hardware. In that it's in the SDK means it's in the firmware (and SDK).

When I say firmware, it could be mainly in the SDK. Call it what you will, my main point is that it's not hardware built into the Phantom.

Several apps are adding this feature only right after the firmware for the P4 is released? Was it suddenly "discovered"?

Device use makes a difference as tracking is device hardware dependent. That is, it's software tracking and not hardware. In that it's in the SDK means it's in the firmware (and SDK).

When I say firmware, it could be mainly in the SDK. Call it what you will, my main point is that it's not hardware built into the Phantom.
Thanks for the clarification tcope. I thought you may have some inside knowledge, that is whether the object tracking capability is largely firmware based.

My strong suspicion is that it is not, at least not outside the P4 implementations and on that basis we need not be in fear of DJI disabling the functionality we are seeing in litchi and vertival.

As to the suggestion we are only seeing te implementation following P4 intriduction vertical had this running on other platforms outside the phantom ecosystem. It needed only a clean hdmi video feed to run with custom gimble drive and associated electronics on the aircraft (and a ubuntu box and uplink). The current phantom implementations are software based (vertical) in the app using proprietory algorithms. I suspect litchi is simillar. P4 may have all or part of the code in the firmware. Thats what i was interested to learn.

The SDK does contain Active Tracking ability as listed below. So it's now open for developers to add this to their apps. It appears to be the same for the P3 and P4. This is why I say it appears to be 100% software based and not some new hardware in the P4.

upload_2016-4-22_9-17-25.png

I have a P3 4K and the Litchi does not seem to track well on iPhone 6. It seems I have to make a huge target-square of the subject and when it move, it most often drops out. Anyone with the same issue?

Vertical Studio tracks good and is pretty accurate.

Cheers

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl