lipo batteries exploded and caught fire

Reaction score
Dont do this at home. I just bought a board to charge multi batteries at the same time. I loaded in 2 2200 3 s batteries and I went to stick in the balancer wires and boom they exploded and caught fire inside my condo. i was lucky to escape injury and damage by pulling the batteries out of the charger, although they were still burning until i put them in the sink. I partially melted the batteries and the balancing board. i was pissed at the store for selling me a shorted out board, but when he looked at it, he pointed out that i put the balance wires in the 4 s slot instead of the 3 s slot. the burnt board was the evidence he was right. We were able to save the board but he hot glued shut all the other non 3 s sockets so i could not do that again and only can insert the 3s wires in a 3 s socket. the board works great by the way. He even saved the batteries but cut off the balance wires. The damaged batteries were chargeable but i did not trust them so i retired them. i even looked at a video about resoldering the balance wires on to the batteries after exposing the guts, No thanks, i retired the batteries and bought 2 2800 zippy and a multistar 4000 and still have 3 2200 left. all batteries perform well in single battery flight and flying twin batteries in the 2200 and 2800 and single only in the 4000. incredible flight times as u can see in another post. in summary, be very careful with the lipos in charging and storing and around any hot or harp objects. i would never leave them or a baby in a hot car.in fact treat them like a new born baby. not too hot or cold, keep away from anything sharp, and obviously keep them away from me.

I have my hot glue gun out!

Nice Larry,

Thanks for sharing and the bit of humor. I liked your other tips as well.

Question:
Is your hot glue conductive? :lol:

i dont think the glue is conductive because my technician seems to know what he is doing and besides that i have used the board 10 times without incident or fire
my fingers are crossed.
yes and my other posts and ideas are the result of hours of youtube advice and my own needs. in some i improved on someone elses idea and in some cases i had the idea myself.
keep in touch and we both might learn to enjoy our toys more

On my stock charger that came with my FC-40, my 3s balance plug won't plug into the 4s slot. (Stock 2200 lipo batteries.)

That's why I ALWAYS charge with a lipo safe bag and the vanilla charger.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl