Line of Sight?

Reaction score
Does the phantom joysticks operate on a line of sight basis? If you have a FPV setup, is it possible to navigate one in between buildings in a city, or say explore multiple rooms in a large open building such as a warehouse? Or do you need to maintain a line of sight in order to not lose signal? I was just curious because it seems almost all the videos I see featuring a phantom follow this process: Start rotors-> fly straight up-> drift around while turning the camera-> land. I've never seen one fly up, over something, and lower itself on the other side while exploring. I really think it would be incredible if you were able to set one up with FPV and say fly up over a thick tree canopy and then duck down inside through an opening to have a look around. Sadly I am starting to think this is not possible.

Also, about the GPS return home feature: Does it follow a 3 dimensional route back to the start, essentially retracing its steps? Or does it just register the starting location, and take a straight line, unchanging elevation route back to the home point? If I were to register the home point, fly down my street and turn at the corner passing a line of trees, and then cut the power to the controller, would the phantom fly right into the line of trees when trying to reach the home location? Or does it retrace its steps?

Hi.

I suggest you read the manual, and pertinent information online, on youtube and on forums such as this one.

The questions you are asking are very basic, and although we could go ahead and answer them, these questions lead me to believe you will have a lot more questions to ask that can easily be answered if you read online.

short answers:
1) Yes and no
2) Yes and no
3) Yes and no
3) No
4) No
5) No
6) Yes and no

All in the manual

5.8ghz does not penetrate walls well. if you are 500m away and go behind a tree, you will lose video signal.. The tx is 2.4 so should still control but without sight you are flying blind..

claimed GPS accuracy is something like +- 3m tolerance too; so you should maintain at least that much distance to objects that you don't want to come in contact with your craft.

Now, if you want something that don't just fly up-drift around-land... you have to ask this guy's secret:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSTVpOFC-s[/youtube]

:mrgreen: (brilliant flying, mute the music. Starts to go "WTF??" after the 1 minute mark)

That was some impressive flying! :shock:

LeoS said:
claimed GPS accuracy is something like +- 3m tolerance too; so you should maintain at least that much distance to objects that you don't want to come in contact with your craft.

Now, if you want something that don't just fly up-drift around-land... you have to ask this guy's secret:

:mrgreen: (brilliant flying, mute the music. Starts to go "WTF??" after the 1 minute mark)

I thought that kind of flying was normal(ish) with 1.3 ghz video systems in the states?

davemcm said:
I thought that kind of flying was normal(ish) with 1.3 ghz video systems in the states?

So 433\900mhz for control and 1.3ghz video can achieve this sort of distance and building penetration?
His last video shows him going through buildings (part indoors) and he seemed to be in total control in those areas too. Then again, we have no idea where the pilot actually stood.

mauiboy86 said:
5.8ghz does not penetrate walls well. if you are 500m away and go behind a tree, you will lose video signal.. The tx is 2.4 so should still control but without sight you are flying blind..

You have that backwards...

gbshovel said:
mauiboy86 said:

Not if it's Phantom 1 or base Phantom2

EMCSQUAR said:
gbshovel said:
mauiboy86 said:

Not if it's Phantom 1 or base Phantom2

Didn't know those had wifi video :eek: wow learn something new everyday

LeoS said:

Death Star trench run

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl